Status
Not open for further replies.

mamba

In the zone
ok u cant upd8 ur XP sometimes , big deal

i have pirated XP SP2 , d/led via torrents . havnt faced a single problem yet . u cant ask 4 more . what upgrade the MS site is offering right now , will b built in the next updated XP it launches . u can surely wait 4 a while , if u want these 'features' incorporated :D

n if ppl really wanna buy XP 4 these 'regular' upgrades , no comments . they no what the r doing , n should b left alone .

as 4 me , i can spend ne amount on hardware . not s/w . baat hazam nahin hoti , itta paisa phoonkne ki on something easily available , which will work as gud as something u have spent thousands on

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
well @mamba its not about "itta paisa phoonkne ki on something easily available , which will work as gud as something u have spent thousands on". its about ethics.

consider this, microsoft employs thousands of ppl to write the code for their OS. though the actual cost of the product maybe peanuts wot they are charging is for hours of research and manual labour. besides they hafta pay their employees too! this is wot makes the product worth!

but frankly i agree wid you all, Windows OS are very high priced. i think a suitable cost would be around rs.1000 or at least under rs.2k. this is coz anyway they'll sell millions of copies and can well recover the expenditure in a short period. besides they dun rely only on OS. they haf a hell lotsa products! i think software like OS which is a basic requirement should be priced less.

i'd suggest that ppl buy the OEM or Home version if their needs are limited. i actually dun see the need of a XP Pro version on an average home or non-networked computer!

cheers :D

ps: i use a legal version of windows xp pro. i would've gone in for home edition but i din haf choice! :( it came bundled.

godblessedson

Broken In
Attitude

What do you like, using your 'legal original 98 OS' or 'illegal pirated XP'?

The matter is of Attitude.

"Linux not proliferate among home users in India because using piracy software is matter of attitude rather than a legal requirement in India".

Dont We have attitude of wearing helmets for traffic police checker rather than for our on safety.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@godblessedson
hey i wear a helmet and use legal windows xp too!! thats coz i've had a very bitter accident and i am lucky to be alive today! i dun wanna haf a similar kinda stuff in the computer!! :wink:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
u will find big Advantage over abroad with Original XP.... but here in india... get a pirated XP Pro SP2..... get a free or pirated AVS... use it... u wont face any useing problem whats so ever.... just dont west ur time to find ways to install updates...

lol...

i have been useing origi XP pro since last 3 years... i didnt find any advantage whats so ever with my product.... :evil: :evil:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Who says that u cant regularly auto-update pir XP
I've been doing it till today on my home edition without any problem.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
siriusb said:
Microsoft "Genuine Advantage" cracked in 24h
Thursday, July 28, 2005
Microsoft "Genuine Advantage" cracked in 24h: window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all'
AV sez, "This week, Microsoft started requiring users to verifiy their serial number before using Windows Update. This effort to force users to either buy XP or tell them where you got the illegal copy is called 'Genuine Advantage.' It was cracked within 24 hours."

Before pressing 'Custom' or 'Express' buttons paste this text to the address bar and press enter:

javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')

It turns off the trigger for the key check.

Link (Thanks, AV!)

does that stuff work ??? i am using genuine xp home edition but just wanna know if it works.. lol ms guyz cant be such big fools man !!!

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I haven't tried it myself but that link was taken from slashdot, so I have reasons to believe it worked. I have no way of trying it now tho. Any one here can try on their next visit to windowsupdate and see if it hasn't been patched up already.

mamba

In the zone
infra_red_dude said:
well @mamba its not about "itta paisa phoonkne ki on something easily available , which will work as gud as something u have spent thousands on". its about ethics.

consider this, microsoft employs thousands of ppl to write the code for their OS. though the actual cost of the product maybe peanuts wot they are charging is for hours of research and manual labour. besides they hafta pay their employees too! this is wot makes the product worth!

but frankly i agree wid you all, Windows OS are very high priced. i think a suitable cost would be around rs.1000 or at least under rs.2k. this is coz anyway they'll sell millions of copies and can well recover the expenditure in a short period. besides they dun rely only on OS. they haf a hell lotsa products! i think software like OS which is a basic requirement should be priced less.

i'd suggest that ppl buy the OEM or Home version if their needs are limited. i actually dun see the need of a XP Pro version on an average home or non-networked computer!

cheers :D

ps: i use a legal version of windows xp pro. i would've gone in for home edition but i din haf choice! :( it came bundled.

ho ho , r u worrying bout the finances of microsoft :?: :twisted: got 1 word 4 u , ' dont '

as far as if its ethical or not , think urself as robin hood or something , d/l-ing the latest upd8ed version of XP n distributing it amongst ur friends , in a fight against microsofts brutalities n the casualities ( eg. U . u had 2 pay 4 XP when u bought ur lappy . there r millions of 'U'z out there 4 whom its the 1st time n unknowingly they pay up 6-7k more than the actual worth ) :lol:

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I had no problem installing sp2 and also my winxp autoupdate is working even now as I type this.

premsharma

In the zone
I do not understand the logic of this topic. By the way why do U want to download from their official website. Turn off automatic updates and there are hell lot of sites to download windows components. U can even download windows XP media center edition 2005 and windows vista beta 1. There is no difference between genuine and pirated. It is their brain that they created a genuine product and it is crackers brain to pirate it. Genuine is known to be pirated to the cracker and cracked version known as pirated to the patent owner.

iinfi

mekalodu
john_the_ultimate said:
Thank you all for your valuable response. I want tell you as to why this question arised in my mind.
My friend uses pirated version of xp and to frankly saying it looks much better than win98.
But whenever he tries to connect to net after couple of minutes the machine restarts. Not only does it restarts but sometimes his taskbar is missing or some critical error occurs and everytime the machine restarts it does scandisk. But this problem does not arise when he uses win98 (which is also pirated). He has all those anti-virus, security and anti-spyware software installed in both OS. But these software dosen't show any kind of virus or other activity.
One more thing he use bsnl broadband internet service.
So if u people could help to solve the problem, it would help me to decide whether to upgrade, because if I go on and use genuine version,whether I would have this kind of problem or not.
As I already have a copy of pirated xp disk which he has given to me, but I don't want to use it.
My main question is that would this kind of problem would arise if I use genuine xp?

well, u said that ur friend's PC restarts every 2 mins coz its pirated ..... sud i tell u that the PC wud still restart if u buy a genuine windows OS and not protect it properly ......

u need to protect ur PC with a good anti-virus solution (Avast) a good firewall (Zone Alarm) ... keep the firewall ON all the time .... UPDATE all the security software ....
i wonder if ur friend updates the security software regularly and is keen on keeping his firewall on .....

by exercising proper precaution u can keep ur computer safe frm security threats even without a spyware and anti virus ......

ur friend mite not have installed or accidentally turned off the firewall and the sasser worm has infected his PC .... thats the reason it restarts every few mins on connecting to the net ......

easy man dont get scared of XP ... its a gud OS and will serve u better than win98 ... :D

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Thanks everyone for your valuable response and I have thought that first I would try the non-genuine xp and when the price falls or when it is absolutely necessary I would get one for myself. Anyhow I do use a genuine win98 se. I think I got all my answer and pretty good idea about using xp. I think my question would also have helped someone with the same problem as mine. Once again thanks.

sba

Journeyman
Posting that you run a pirated operating system on a forum run by a tech magazine...very smart!!! :roll:

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
I am not using but maybe try to use just to evaluate the advantages of xp. And remember I am still using legal win98 which many of u don't use. But no hard feeling. But eventually legal product is always better and safer than pirated. sba would u like to buy so very important and valuable item and not get a warranty or bill for it? Think.... Bye.

cybershastri

Journeyman
One of my friend uses pirated version of windows XP Pro SP2. He also uses internet. Now if he opens microsoft website and microsoft comes to know that this person is using a pirated version, can they track him to his location? I mean can they come to know by any means that this person is surfing from such and such location. I have heard that some people in Bangalore have been charged by Microsoft for using illegal copy of windows XP. Is that true?

iinfi

mekalodu
frm ur IP address its not difficult for law enforcement agencies to track ur home address .... but i think Microsoft has done this only to corporates till now and not to home users .... times mite change ..u never know

Deep

Version 2.0
There is only single difference in pirated copy of XP over legal one...

Both have same features, both work fine with windows update

but the only difference being, with legal copy of XP, you get golden chance to bug microsoft support team directly with your queries (damn, I need to bug them with my stupid question, lets see how much they know ;) )

and 2nd thing is, the feeling of owning legal copy.. :)

if you are using your machine to earn money and you earn enough money to buy XP (which costs around Rs. 7500 for Pro version) then just go for it..

but for home use..aha..no comments :D

Deep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom