Using Internet without Antivirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Never Connect Internet without anti virus loaded - linux os's are lesser prone but yet they do also get infected
thats true

oh please. :|

Dogs don't suffer from AIDS even if they get HIV positive.
Shane Coursen, a senior technical consultant with Kaspersky Lab, claims, "The growth in Linux malware is simply due to its increasing popularity, particularly as a desktop operating system ... The use of an operating system is directly correlated to the interest by the malware writers to develop malware for that OS.
Linux malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Think Linux is free from malware? Think again; it's been hacked. - Computerworld Blogs
Linux infection proves Windows malware monopoly is over; Gentoo ships backdoor? [updated] | ZDNet
:neutral:

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
thats true

Linux malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Think Linux is free from malware? Think again; it's been hacked. - Computerworld Blogs
Linux infection proves Windows malware monopoly is over; Gentoo ships backdoor? [updated] | ZDNet
:neutral:
With due respect, you sir have zero idea about the basics of Linux.

You haven't used it, so quoting these articles from so called "experts" is hilarious.

I'm enjoying my coffee. I'll write a post soon. ;)

But I'll sum everything up in one sentence at the moment. Linux is 10000 times less flawed compared to Windows.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
@ funkysaurav
You should also see that in your link
The total number of viruses has passed the one million boundary.
during 2005 from 422 to 863.
Well I completely agree with ico.
I have used ubuntu and didn't got infected ever and I used windows without antivirus with internet and had to reinstall my os in 2 days. Linux is very very safet than windows. I actually delete the stubborn viruses that av don't delete using ubuntu's explorer without any problems. If probability of getting infected in windows in 90% then in linux its 0.09%.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Agreed. Once it happened to me also. It deleted all the executables of my game setups then I was left with game setups having all files except the goddamn setup.exe. LOL

Made me :rofl: so hard !!!!
That must have been a :censored: experience! :-D

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Quick comparison.

1) Linux doesn't have a single point of error i.e. registry. In Windows, every program keeps on messing around with some other program's registry. Application preferences are stored in separate folders in loluser's home directory.

2) When you execute a program in Linux, it can't go beyond its limits. It just can't go on and make changes in your root directory.

3) In Windows, you run a program as "loluser" why the fu(k can it make changes everywhere? If not by hook, then by crook. This is the reason why viruses in Windows can replicate easily. Not so in Linux.

4) In Linux, all the "operating system" files are owned by root. Normal users can't make change or access them. They have to run things as "root." And this is EXTREMELY strict. Not so strict in Windows. There are ways to bypass in Windows.

5) When you run a program as "loluser" it doesn't get permission to change things in the root directory i.e. the operating system directory.

6) In Linux, generally people tend to have separate partition for Operating System (known as the root partition) and separate partition for documents, application settings etc. (known as the home partition)

7) "loluser" only has free access to the files/folders which he "owns." Not so in Windows.

8) "loluser" doesn't own important OS directories like /etc et cetera, so even if he executes a linux malware, it just can't mess up with the operating system until you give it permission to i.e. execute as root. In Windows, you can somehow manage to get through. ;)

9) "loluser" can't make changes to files owned by "loluser2" if "loluser2" hasn't given him permission to.

10) Everything is about permissions and restrictions. These things are strict in Linux and in Windows, they're a joke.

11) Phenomenon of "ownership" of files is not at all strict in Windows. (I don't even know even if it's there or not ;))

12) In Windows, an ".exe" file is an executable (defined by extension). In Linux, being executable is an attribute.

13) Last but not the least, "computer viruses" are called "viruses" because their working/metabolism depends on host just like biological viruses. Linux can't run Windows softwares, they are just harmless "junk" files. An Autorun Windows virus in your pendrive is completely harmless in Linux.

14) Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu - Download it, install it. Use it first and then comment instead of blatantly googling things and linking articles by "experts."

Thank you.

Edit:
Everything which I have said might not be completely correct. Because I'm nothing more than an average computer user.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

If probability of getting infected in windows in 90% then in linux its 0.09%.
The probability of Linux running a Windows executable (including virus) is 0.00%. Windows virus files are just harmless junk files in Linux. Keep them if you want to. :D

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Only if you run it as "root" - which no one does.

Last edited:
OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
vineet369 said:
Made me so hard !!!!
That must have been a experience!
Yeah it was. Right now I am laughing about that but at that time man I was thinking to throw all the DVDs containing anti virus out of my window. Imagine how pissed off you'll be when you have 100GB junk files which were your favorite just a restart ago.

ico said:
The probability of Linux running a Windows executable (including virus) is 0.00%. Windows virus files are just harmless junk files in Linux. Keep them if you want to.
I know that boos. But didn't knew the facts that you just explained. Thanks for that I do read many articles about linux but you know remembering main points is kinda pain in the ass specially when they are 400 pages long.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

ico said:
Everything is about permissions and restrictions. These things are strict in Linux and in Windows, they're a joke.
Yeah. I changed my PC rating by getting permissions for the protected files. You can even break any file's security on your own even system volume information and any windows critical files.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Honestly, my views are pretty straight-forward and unbiased. Mainly because I use all the three major operating systems regularly on a daily basis. :)

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
i am not trying to prove that linux is as vulnerable as windows is
i already know that linux is "many times" more secure than windows

what i am trying to say is nothing is 100% secure ever
i posted my links in this context
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/137267-using-internet-without-antivirus-3.html#post1341776
and your subsequent response
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/137267-using-internet-without-antivirus-3.html#post1341776

The probability of Linux running a Windows executable (including virus) is 0.00%. Windows virus files are just harmless junk files in Linux. Keep them if you want to.
i know that malwares made for windows environment are completely harmless in linux
but malwares are written targeted for linux environment too. the only thing that is keeping you with a feeling of safety is the lack of motivation Malware writers have towards coding for linux considering its minuscule userbase

the comparison that you made between windows and linux, is the reason that windows viruses can't be active in linux,
but linux too has its set of flaws just waiting to be exploited
it all depends on the userbase
if there is more vulnerabilities in windows than linux,
it is because people were specifically looking for something to exploit
considering the much larger userbase of windows

now as the userbase would shift towards linux, so would the number of malware and detected vulnerabilities

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
i know that malwares made for windows environment are completely harmless in linux
but malwares are written targeted for linux environment too. the only thing that is keeping you with a feeling of safety is the lack of motivation Malware writers have towards coding for linux considering its minuscule userbase

the comparison that you made between windows and linux, is the reason that windows viruses can't be active in linux,
but linux too has its set of flaws just waiting to be exploited
it all depends on the userbase
if there is more vulnerabilities in windows than linux,
it is because people were specifically looking for something to exploit
considering the much larger userbase of windows

now as the userbase would shift towards linux, so would the number of malware and detected vulnerabilities
Use Linux to believe it. Even if Linux had decent market share, it would have still had very less malware because of its secure base. There is a big reason why it dominates server market-share where the first priority is reliability.

Even if someone finds/exploits a vulnerability in Linux, due to the Open Source nature, it will get patched up quickly. Compare Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox.

I also use Mac OS X which has way more market-share than Linux. Still to come across any virus or malware.

Mac OS X is Unix btw. You'll be also surprised your modem/router is also running "mini" Linux. Why not Windows? ;)

Market Share Myth

Some people say that linux suffers less from malware because it has less than 1% of the desktop market compared to Windows 90% & suggest that if linux ever increases in popularity then it will suffer just as badly. This argument is deeply flawed & not just by the spurious statistics. Linux dominates server markets. Why struggle to write a virus that might knock out a few thousand desktops when knocking out a few thousand servers could knock out a continent? Yet it is the desktop machines that are commonly exploited.

*help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus#Market Share Myth

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
Pein said:
use mozilla firefox best option if u don't want to use av......
Really. I use it still got infected. I do agree that it is far more secure than Internet Explorer but it does have many exploits. You can say the above phase with Linux not with Windows. Use Firefox with Linux you won't get infected.

himadri_sm said:
don't open "you know what" sites
My friend even trusted sites spread virus which they don't even know themselves.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
My friend even trusted sites spread virus which they don't even know themselves.

I can't recall it, but have studied a quote similar to the following, which suits the bill perfectly...

The problem with our society is that, one who knows a lot of things, are confident about nothing, and the one who knows nothing, are the most confident about everything.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
vineet369 said:
I can't recall it,
I do. Just take example of say facebook, twitter they have been hacked many times. Say chip forum has been hacked recently so even their site is not secure how the heck can they guarantee that can't and don't spread malwares.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
don't know about others but my friends PC got infected with Win32:Sality (not the variant. 100% pure one) & then it started corrupting all the executable files, only compressed softwares i gave him were left untouched.

so i keep all my software & game collection as .rar files. it provides protection (according to me) & also keeps the file secure so that no file goes missing.

Same here.....win32 type viruses are exe eaters.....they r polymorphic &
then they reduce the exe's file size to less than 100KB..... :evil:

1st they attack all exe's runing in task manager....& then each & every
exe u visit in explorer gets infected.....

when i got infected with sality my CCleaner used to shutdown abruptly :mrgreen:

But do remember dat it doesn't affect all exe u have.may be the exe which
haven't got infected are very powerfull in their entry point :mrgreen:

Henceforth,Keep all the essential files in archived(rar) or ISO format.& live happily ever after :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom