Using 9800gt as physx

pravin_pran

Broken In
Hi,
I currently have 9800gt (out of warranty card). I basically play online multiplayer Battlefield 3 with 50-80 fps (resol - 1366*768). I am completely satisfied whith this card, but since its out of warrany this wont probably fetch Rs 2500 also. So I am waiting for new genration of Nvidia Kepler cards. So is it a good thing to wait for the new generation card with 9800gt used as physx card or 9800gt will bring the whole thing down. (my pc i5-2500k, 4gb ram)
Since i dont play at huge resolution and i dont see any game that will push Battlefied 3 graphics even further (atleast in next 6 months) should i even consider buying a new card till next gen comes out?

Regards,

dibya_kol

In the zone
yes, like u i am also waiting for kepler as well . Yes u can use 98gt as a physx card anytime. But i think u need to jump at 1920x1080 res first. U r missing lot's of fun with such low res.

Cilus

laborare est orare
9800 GT is going to be a superb PhysX card. You can also pick up an AMD 7000 series card like HD 7870 or HD 7950 and use the 9800GT as PhysX card. As nvidia default driver doesn't allow Nvidia cards to work if GPU from any other manufacturers are plugged in the system, you need to use a modding tool called PhysX Mod (Current version: 1.5) to enable Hybrid PhysX (AMD cards as main GPU and Nvidia card as PhysX processor).
I'm currently doing so, using a GT 240 GDDR5 with HD 6870 Crossfire.

One thing, power consumption for 9800 GT is higher compared to current gen cards. So better have a good PSU to use multiple Gfx card in your system.

dibya_kol

In the zone
nice suggestion cilus, but op play games with such low res. With a high end gamming rig, playing games at such low res doesnt make any sence to me.

But will it benifit anyways??

Yes, u can get some extra effects and im loving it .. But there is only a few titles though.(batman aa and ac, metro 2033, mafia2 etc)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
If OP is going for even mid-range Kepler card, I don't think a separate card for PhysX is needed at all. Anything like 560Ti and better will do the job fine without hurting frames much.

Top Bottom