Usage of Emergency Lights

ajayritik

Technomancer
Since most of you guys maybe using the Emergency lights especially during power cuts I thought would check with you on the usage. Generally we keep these emergency lights plugged into the power socket and switch it on so that when we have a power cut it turns on itself. However I wanted to check is it good if we have the emergency light always plugged into the switch board or are there any disadvantages of having it plugged on always which may effect the battery longevity.

Kindly share your views on the same.

Also maybe currently some of you may have Inverters etc so may not be using Emergency Lights that much. But still wanted to check if anybody has any tips or usage instructions for this.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Well, the use hardly arises during inverter. But when that too fails I use the Emergency light

P.S - Havent used a emergency light in last 2 years

saswat23

Human Spambot
Oh, you have an inverter then.

BTW plugging the emergency light on, wont have probs IMO. Also the power consumtion is very less.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Have lost quite a few batteries with improper usage. Hence checking if we keep it on for charging will the battery die soon?

Looking at the responses makes me feel as if I'm still living in stone age. I think most of them out there are using inverters.

cosx

Broken In
Regular charging and discharging keeps the battery life healthy.

Use the emergncy light at least 1/2 hour a week and then full charge it.

Do this every week.

Disconnect the emergency light from mains after charging. Light it up manually whe load-shedding.

Sarath

iDota
I have a backup generator in my apartment so I have a lamp for the 3mins of darkness that we face.

Never charge it. each time there is a power cut I keep it on charge and then put it back. Comes out again during the next cut and repeat happens.

Never faced hour long power cut. My suggestion leave it connected to the powersupply. Honestly it is not good for the battery. It a Ni-Cd battery so its prone to die some time or the other and also prone to reduce its capacity due to bad charging practises.

In simple words. Always drain a Ni-Cd battery completely before charging.

Here you have to choose between two things:
1) Leave it online always for convenience. Auto on, on a powercut
2) Practise good charging methods and prolong its life

IMO first one is better as it is just too clumsy too take care of its charging cycles. Also it defeats the whole purpose of the "emergency" lamp if you run out of charge anytime since you were waiting for it to discharge completely before it runs out.

Phew! Read all "about" this 8years lol. Don't worry the tech is still the same. :)

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Looking at the responses makes me feel as if I'm still living in stone age. I think most of them out there are using inverters.

Hardly face any power cuts now a days (touched wood), but when it does, I have no other thing then Emergency Light.
So looks like you are not the only one living in stone age. ;)

In simple words. Always drain a Ni-Cd battery completely before charging.

So does this theory work for UPS battery too, and also what is the kind of batteries used in Mobile handsets, since those we never try to let discharge completely?

Phew! Read all this 8years lol. Don't worry the tech is still the same. :)
Didn't got the significance of 8 year part of above para.

Sarath

iDota
Some improvements have been made. Especially with the Ni-MH battries that were developed later on. Honestly I can't remember what advantage they give above the Ni-Cd but know for sure that they are better and newer.

Our cellphones have Li-polymer or Li-ion batteries. They are more expensive, smaller, lighter and store more charge (per unit volume). They are the best in the market now. But they are expensive.

For eg: That lamp costs maybe 1k now. With Li-ion battery the same lamp would cost maybe 2-4k or more.

Another example: Our India Reva electric car has Lead acid or Ni-Cd batteries, I guess. Rs,5L. Same smart car in Europe with Li-ion Rs.15L even if its made in Taiwan or China.

I meant I read about battery technology 8 years back. :)

Top Bottom