urgent: PS2 or USB keyboard

Sarath

iDota
PS2 or USB keyboard

Friends I want a temporary kb for my new pc as the one I ordered got delayed. One is 350 and the other is 550. Can you guys tell me whats the differences between the 2.

Thanks.

Doing this standing in the muddle of the mall.

EDIT: Kindly delete this thread

Last edited:

saswat23

Human Spambot
But now a days motherboards generally have one common PS2 port for KB n Mouse so only one can be attached to the PS2 port and the other has to be attached to an USB port. So, check your mobo properly before buying.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Got a PS2 mouse. It has both ports for M and KB. I have a USB mouse anyways.
Should have got a USB one so that I can use it with my PS3. No other problems otherwise.

PS2 are prone to ghosting and have a slightly higher input lag than a USB KB. Found during my research.

This is an old post. Any mod stumbling upon this is free to lock it.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Got a PS2 mouse. It has both ports for M and KB. I have a USB mouse anyways.
Should have got a USB one so that I can use it with my PS3. No other problems otherwise.

PS2 are prone to ghosting and have a slightly higher input lag than a USB KB. Found during my research.

This is an old post. Any mod stumbling upon this is free to lock it.
PS/2 or USB?
PS/2 wins on three fronts: First, it supports full n-key rollover(Max no. of key registered at once). Second, PS/2 keyboards aren't polled, but are completely interrupt based. And third, it is impossible for it to be delayed by the USB bus being used by other devices. There are two types of USB transfer modes - the interrupt transfer mode (USB polls keyboard, when key is sensed the USB controller sends the interrupt to the CPU), and the isochronous transfer mode, which reserves a certain amount of bandwidth for the keyboard with a guaranteed latency on the bus. Unfortunately, there are absolutely no keyboards made that use the latter, because special controllers would have to be used, thus making it cost prohibitive.

So if your keyboard supports both PS/2 and USB, and your PC has a PS/2 port, there's no reason not to use it.

Top Bottom