UPS suggestion for GFX & PSU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
I am planning to upgrade to a HD7750 card. i am currently on a crappy PSU. so i will be upgrading to a Corsair 430cxv2.
the main problem lies with my UPS. i bought around a month back. its a BR600CI.. its 360 Watts / 600 VA. there is absolutely no question of replacing it so soon.

now the question: both my CPU and Monitor (80W) will be driven by the UPS. will the current UPS be able serve its purpose if there is a power cut, i.e., will it give me some back up, say 2-3 mins(just the time to save my game/work and shut down immediately), incase the power goes off? if yes, what will the approx time?? [please note that the total wattage needed will be around 510W, whereas the UPS itself is 360W/600VA.]

if no.. well then. goodbye upgrade.

Last edited:

debarshi

Otaku
Well, AFAIK CX430 is Active PFC PSU, and the UPS is "Waveform Type - Stepped approximation to a sinewave", a modified sine wave.
So it is more likely to not work, as Active PFC Psu dont particularly like cheaper UPS ;)

Mine didn't work, and I learnt the hard way..... and now my whole PC is on direct power line.........until I can afford one of those true sine wave UPS (above 5k) :(

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Well, AFAIK CX430 is Active PFC PSU, and the UPS is "Waveform Type - Stepped approximation to a sinewave", a modified sine wave.
So it is more likely to not work, as Active PFC Psu dont particularly like cheaper UPS ;)

Mine didn't work, and I learnt the hard way..... and now my whole PC is on direct power line.........until I can afford one of those true sine wave UPS (above 5k) :(

details, kindly??

icebags

Technomancer
just check the battery is good, assuming u dong have crt and an uber overclocked proccy, u should get ~10 minutes backup/more with a 7AH standard ups battery.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
just check the battery is good, assuming u dont have crt and an uber overclocked proccy, u should get ~10 minutes backup/more with a 7AH standard ups battery.
- the battery is fine. its 1month old. i have an LG studioworks CRT. the proc is NOT OCed.

I think the UPS and PSu combo will work just fine ..
:nervous: its just that i'll be making a biggish investment here and i want to absolutely sure before hand. i am pretty sure the sales people at the shops know shi*'sworth, so asking them would be a farce. i am asking coz you guys have lots of experience in these matters. i'll hang around the forum for few more days, poking around and disturbing people till i can reach a satisfactory result. :p :)

debarshi

Otaku
Re: UPS suggestion for GFX & PSU upgrade

Oh well, everytime power went out, the system turned off directly w/o going into backup mode while connected to UPS
It worked fine with my "INTEX" el cheapo PSU but not with the CX430.................

If you are lucky, it will work..................

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

i will be using the 430cxV2... ??

btw.. i saw somewhere that the corsair 450 costs less than the 430cxv2. why is this so??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's better to stick with cx430v2 though it costs a few bucks extra compared to vs450 which don't has any proper reviews.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

Oh well, everytime power went out, the system turned off directly w/o going into backup mode while connected to UPS
It worked fine with my "INTEX" el cheapo PSU but not with the CX430.................

If you are lucky, it will work..................

Sorry for the bump on old post.

Just wanted to say, the PSU-UPS combo is alive and kickin'!! i have had loadsheddings, but nothing of the sort as said above has happened. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sorry for the bump on old post.

Just wanted to say, the PSU-UPS combo is alive and kickin'!! i have had loadsheddings, but nothing of the sort as said above has happened. :)

as expected ;-) anyway, glad to know and thanks for the feedback - some people just creates thread and when they solve their issue feels no urge to provide the final result/feedback.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ debarshi - can't say bro - I really don't have much knowledge on PSU/UPSwaveform Type - read something like those some years back with not much attention and when I used a corsair PSu with APC 700VA UPS the combo just worked and so far personally I've seen every APC UPS working good with corsair/cm psus.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Mods may lock thread :)

>>If you have nothing to post on an old thread like this please don't bump such threads .... Your post should be considered as trolling ;-) ( worth infraction ) and you should have used the report button instead.<<

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom