• No i dont use a UPS

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hot zubs

live life king like...
hello friends,
My 3 yr old UPS finally gave up after a long long struggle...
i was thinkin is it a real necessity for computer to hav a UPS… at my place power goes like at least 5 times a day, so whenever d power goes my computer goes pphuffff… does it really effect d components of d system like Mobo, procy or RAM or anything… I wanted to know how many of us here don use UPS for there system, d guys who don use UPS, do u face any problem with ur hardware components???

And plz leave ur vote up there...

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Yes, a computer hot shutting off, is bad. Always have a UPS, even if it lasts just as long to shut it down gracefully. You will soon have an unstable system.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
my ups dead bt i using inverter. however for few months i gt no ups nor connection to inverter. & windows got corrupted after 15-20 instant shutdowns.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@ OP,
for ur query, try this URL, it didn't open in my office so can't comment on its content (if its proper), but it seems to be the one u r asking.

*articles.smashits.com/articles/computers/56938/why-should-you-have-a-ups-battery-.html

Do You Need One?

Have you ever been sitting in front of your monitor, immersed in whatever creative process you happen to subscribe to, and failed to save those ever-so-clever adjustments to a file when the lights went out? It feels like you can never quite get it back to the way it was, right? I bet you wish you had a UPS.

If your desktop Mac activities would involve the loss of irreplaceable mission critical information in a power outage, such as in any business environment, then you definitely need at least a UPS if not a UPS/back-up generator combination depending on the scale of your system or network. Even if you use your Mac at home for more recreational pursuits and already have a good (not cheap) surge protector, you may still suffer hardware damage or lose valuable files if power to the drive is interrupted while, say, updating your operating system or simply moving some family photos from your camera. If you have a laptop then you already have a built-in battery, but there are still many advantages to using a UPS, such as power conditioning.

U may be interested to read the whole article: LINK

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
650VA APC. ~3-4.2K. This will be good for you.

thanx but actually only upto 550Va available at my place from APC. for other brands 650Va+ easily available but not trust them much. so wil get a 550Va only. 1 more query, Gigabyte 460W is Active PFC. for that PSU wil APC 550Va b sufficient? i read in previous posts that sine UPS needed if PSU support Active PFC. badly confused. wats it? anyone know? :?

@Sam.Shab
Why don`t you replace the battery??

its an Elnova. got it RMA'd but gone kaput soon. better get a new 1 as its warranty long been over. also changing battery won't give any +ve result for long.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
As a rule of thumb, a UPS is usually 60-65% efficient. So a 550VA will support ~370W on full load of the PSU. Many people argue that sine wave is needed for active PFC PSU. And many others doubt that. I am not using one on my TX650. Things seem fine.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^
As a rule of thumb, a UPS is usually 60-65% efficient. So a 550VA will support ~370W on full load of the PSU. Many people argue that sine wave is needed for active PFC PSU. And many others doubt that. I am not using one on my TX650. Things seem fine.

so, if i get a Active PFC PSU (gigabyte 460W) & add it to a APC 550Va UPS, hope everything works fine. as is working fine on yours. though u got a UPS of double the capacity i talking abt for my use :p

OP
hot zubs

hot zubs

live life king like...
Thnx a lot every1 for ur valuable input and rhitwick thnx for ur link man…
I know dat d UPS z mainly used for saving our work done but I want to know d disadvantages of not using it exept d saving part… like hardware problems or anything… r there any1 hu r not using any UPS for there desktops and r still happy with it, coz according to d votes 50% of d people r not using any UPS…

650VA APC. ~3-4.2K. This will be good for you.

APC 650VA is not so expensive dude I jus checked it out today at SP road, its around 2.8k – 3k dats it and APC 550VA is 1.8k and Numeric digital 600VA is 1.4k…

I hav one more query a few days back I read something about d UPS were v can can make energy saver settings like how v do in our laptops were v can set to shutdown the computer after only a few minutes of battery power left, is it possible to do this kind of settings in our normal APC 550VA or 650VA??? I guess those r all standby UPS n wil not provide this feature…

and I also hate that irritating beep beep sounds after d power goes… does this APC and numeric digital UPS’s does d same thing??? Is there any way to get rid of this irritating sound…

and wats this “Active PFC” can anyone explain wats dis…

thanks...

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
so, if i get a Active PFC PSU (gigabyte 460W) & add it to a APC 550Va UPS, hope everything works fine. as is working fine on yours. though u got a UPS of double the capacity i talking abt for my use :p

It will work fine. But the 550VA will only provide you ~357W of support. So if the lights go, and you are pulling >357W from the socket, your system will crash out. Depends how much power you are pulling.

Thnx a lot every1 for ur valuable input and rhitwick thnx for ur link man…
I know dat d UPS z mainly used for saving our work done but I want to know d disadvantages of not using it exept d saving part… like hardware problems or anything… r there any1 hu r not using any UPS for there desktops and r still happy with it, coz according to d votes 50% of d people r not using any UPS…

APC 650VA is not so expensive dude I jus checked it out today at SP road, its around 2.8k – 3k dats it and APC 550VA is 1.8k and Numeric digital 600VA is 1.4k…

I hav one more query a few days back I read something about d UPS were v can can make energy saver settings like how v do in our laptops were v can set to shutdown the computer after only a few minutes of battery power left, is it possible to do this kind of settings in our normal APC 550VA or 650VA??? I guess those r all standby UPS n wil not provide this feature…

and I also hate that irritating beep beep sounds after d power goes… does this APC and numeric digital UPS’s does d same thing??? Is there any way to get rid of this irritating sound…

and wats this “Active PFC” can anyone explain wats dis…

thanks...

Not sure about prices. Will not argue with you. But last I checked the APC Back - UPS BE 650Y-IN is 3045. And the APC Back UPS BR- BR550CI-IN is for 2063. If you are getting cheaper prices for same models then great...!

The 650VA APC has PowerChute, which can hook to your computer via USB, and can gracefully shut down the computer.

Active PFC. You can refer to this.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
It will work fine. But the 550VA will only provide you ~357W of support. So if the lights go, and you are pulling >357W from the socket, your system will crash out. Depends how much power you are pulling.

with Athlon2 X4 635 (OC), Asus HD4200 (OC) based full ATX, single platter 500Gb, 4Gb DDR3-1333, LG 22X, CM Hyper TX3, Gigabyte 460W, CM Elite 310 with 2 fans, Benq 22", speakers & normal Keyboard & mouse. load power wil never reach 250W mark. not bought yet but wil soon. so 550Va looks to be good enough :).

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^
And you plan to OC. Where will that take you. You are hitting the near level. But yes, you rig is not power heavy, you can make do. Not an energy guzzler. :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^
And you plan to OC. Where will that take you. You are hitting the near level. But yes, you rig is not power heavy, you can make do. Not an energy guzzler. :)

yes i seriously wish to OC. X4 630 (not 635 sorry, its a bit too overpriced) operates at 2.8Ghz & can be pushed upto 3.4Ghz at stock voltage. the OEM HSF is just to keep temperature as down as possible. stock HSF do nice job but while OC, 1 must say bye bye to it :))

so am i good to get APC 550Va? just need is ~5min backup so i can shut system off peacefully.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Well see the price difference.
UPS BE 650Y-IN is 3045.
APC Back UPS BR- BR550CI-IN is for 2063

= 982

In the long run you are better. :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^
Well see the price difference.
UPS BE 650Y-IN is 3045.
APC Back UPS BR- BR550CI-IN is for 2063

= 982

In the long run you are better. :)

if price diff at my place is 1k & i find it (have to search for it a bit hard though) wil surely get it. thanks for detailed explanation :razz:. also you mentioned something about USB in 650Va APC. whats it actually? wil it automatically shut down pc if battery low?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
There is a APC UPS with software support. You hook it to your system via the USB, and install the software. You can monitor the battery. And it can gracefully shut down you system, when not much juice is left in the UPS.

This is the one. It is the same one above I quoted for 3045.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
There is a APC UPS with software support. You hook it to your system via the USB, and install the software. You can monitor the battery. And it can gracefully shut down you system, when not much juice is left in the UPS.

This is the one. It is the same one above I quoted for 3045.

WOOOO :-o then its good product. wil surely give it a try. should cost around 3.2k in my place.

OP
hot zubs

hot zubs

live life king like...
which one is a gud option APC 550VA or 650VA or Numeric digital 600VA
i think USB feature is not there in APC 550VA, i jus need d UPS to shutdown d system safely dats it... is 1k worth investing on APC 650VA rather than gng for 550VA???

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

and wat about d beep sound in all this above UPS's... do v get dat beep sounds after d power goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom