UPS power requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

shivg33k

I s33 G33ky p30pl3
I am building a new machine which will be for gaming, i have an APC 500VA UPS. My new machine would be consist of C2D e8400, asus MB, XFX 8800, logitech 5.1 speaker, 2 GB RAM.
my question is that will the current UPS (500 VA) be enough for the above rig or i would have to buy a new one.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
you mentioned some components which are not part of the equation but omitted some which are a part of the equation.

power supply?
hard disk drives?
optical disk drives?
other pci cards
usb devices
etc...

by your power requirement, one would mean the time it can keep the system running in the event of a blackout/power failure.
it can supply power to run your current system in normal situation..but in the event of power failure, it could hardly give you time to save and shutdown the system.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
I think it cant even take the initial load when power fails. I think u have atleast a 600W PSU. So for a decent backup of 20 min on ur rig, get atleast an 800VA UPS.
U can also get a 650VA APC UPS and connect ur system while conect ur monitor, speaker and modem to the older one. That way u can save money.
800VA UPS are very costly , the latter idea can get the job done for much lesser price[if only ur current UPS is good one]
BTW which monitor do u have?

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
what would be the cost of a decent 1KVa UPS???.. something that can be connected to PC through USB/ serial port also....

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
if u hav a LCD then APC 650va will give bout 17mins of backup.backup will also depend on whether u'll oc ur procy or not.

OP
S

shivg33k

I s33 G33ky p30pl3
Thanks guys for your replies,
i don't want much of a backup time, i only wanted that the UPS can supply enough juice to my system while giving surge protection to my PC components.:)

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
1 VA (UPS) = 0.6 Watts (SMPS)
Use this calculator to buy UPS

Use this calculator to calculate Wattage of SMPS :*www.extreme.outervision.com/powercalc.jsp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom