Upgrading Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
first of all online prices are higher than local prices - for eg. the cpu is 400 bucks cheaper !

1. Core i5 2310 @ 10.5k
2. B75MA-P45 @ 4.5k
3. Corsair VS 2x 4Gb @ 2.2k
4. NZXT Source 210 Elite @ 2.6k
5. Corsair Cx430v2 @ 2.6k

Total = you do the math ;-) and this config ( read PSU ) is capable enough to handle even a HD 7950.

OP
S

shademe

Broken In
Interesting. I'll check those prices with my local retailer.

Got a question: What's the best orientation for the bottom mounted PSU's fan? Facing up or down? I'm reading conflicting reports.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
It's personal preference really but most people prefer it to face downwards. You don't want your PSU to be sucking hot air inside your cabinet instead a bit of cool air from about inch of that gap will be better IMO.

In other words, a bit of cool air is way better than alot of hot air for your PSU

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
But I'm not if there'll be enough clearance b'ween the vent and the surface the cabinet's on - We're talking less than an inch here. How can it be sufficient for proper airflow?

fitting the PSU with the psu fan facing upwards won't be possible on a bottom mounting cabinet and there's vents at the bottom of the cabinet to intake cold air for the PSu.

OP
S

shademe

Broken In
I'll be getting the goods shortly, so final question(s):
> Do Corsair PSUs need to a universal power adaptor or something? Or can I just use the power cord from my stock PSU?

Cilus

laborare est orare
You can use any power connector, standard for a PSU. But make sure that the quality is good.

OP
S

shademe

Broken In
Thanks for the quick reply. Yet another question: The Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H mobo is my fallback, should I be unable to get the MSI. This is gonna sound overtly paranoid but bear with me - Are we certain that the XFX 6790 will fit that mobo? I know I've brought it up in one of my older posts but I need to be absolutely sure as I will not be able to swap it after the purchase. The card's dimensions are as follows: 26.2 x 11.12 x 3.81 cm / 10.3 x 4.4 x 1.5 inch.

This was my point of contention: I considered Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H for the mobo at first but it seemed to me that its layout couldn't accommodate my HD 6790 (a couple of side-mounted SATA ports appear to get in the way).

Inspecting the mobo's photos, I still feel that way. If someone has managed to fit a comparably sized card on it, please let me know.

OP
S

shademe

Broken In
Well, the deed's done. Many thanks to all those who offered suggestions :)

Final Config:
  • Intel Core i3 3220 - 6950
  • Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H - 4100 (The card did fit :D)
  • 2 x G.Skill Sniper 4GB PC1600 DDR3 RAM - 3200 (They didn't have the RipJawsX series. Same specs though)
  • Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus - 3500
  • Corsair GS600 - 4900

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom