Upgrading Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

shademe

Broken In
Hello there!

I'd like to keep this post brief - I recently received a XFX Radeon HD 6790 as a replacement for my older HD 6670 that I'd RMA'd. Unfortunately, my mobo (ASUS P5B-MX) wasn't able to accommodate the new card's gigantic behind (I could barely fit it in my cabinet). Seeing how my rig was ancient as it is, I figured it'd be a good time to upgrade my machine.

I only plan to upgrade the following components: CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU and Cabinet. Unfortunately, I'm on a rather tight budget - I can afford to spend no more than 16, maybe 17, grand.

Requirements/Notes:
CPU - Anything that's decently performant. Preferably from Intel.
MOBO -
  • Must be able to fit/suppoprt the 6790 without a fuss
  • Reasonably future-proof
  • Need not support multi-GPU setups
  • DDR3 1600 support would be nice
  • USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s support would be nice too
RAM - 8 Gigs
PSU -
  • Needs ample power, 550W+ I'm told.
  • Must power the above rig and at least 3 SATA HDDs
  • Bottom mounted
  • At least 2x6-pin PCI-E power connectors
Cabinet -
  • Supports the above PSU
  • Large enough for the 6790 (and similarly gigantic cards)

As far as the cabinet goes, I've got my eye on the Cooler Master Elite 311 series. I'm from Chennai and will be buying the upgrades, in all probability, from a regular brick and mortar store.

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: This forums is wonky - I'm unable to reply to any thread (it incorrectly tells me that the answer to the random question is wrong). So,

I looked around some and came up with this config:
  • Intel 3.3 GHz FCLGA1155 Core i3 2120 Processor ~ 7000
  • MSI B75MA-P45 Motherboard ~ 4500
  • 2 x Transcend DDR3-1333 DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (JM1333KLN-4G) ~ 2000
  • Cooler Master Elite 311 Plus ~ 3000
Had to push the budget a bit but I'm building this rig to last.

I considered Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H for the mobo at first but it seemed to me that its layout couldn't accommodate my HD 6790 (a couple of side-mounted SATA ports appear to get in the way). Now, the only thing that remains in the PSU. I'd appreciate it if I could get some advice about it. Apart from the aforementioned requirements, it shouldn't cost more than Rs 4000 (give or take a hundred quid).

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
for ram get 2x 4GB Corsair Value Select DDr3 1333 Mhz modules and for PSU just grab a Corsair GS500.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
the gigabyte mobo will accomodate the gpu. u see the sata ports are after the PCI slot. so dual slot gpu will not cause u trouble.

ComponentModelPrice
ProcessorIntel Core i3 32207287
MotherboardGigabyte GA-B75M-D3H4346
RamG.Skill F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT x 22224
PSUCorsair CX430 V22703
CabinetCooler Master Elite 3112287
Total18847

or since u talked about futureproofing here u can get this -
Seasonic S12II 520 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

OP
S

shademe

Broken In
@Gigabyte MOBO: Are you sure? I'll give it another look but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
@Seasonic PSU: Thanks, but the flipkart page only mentions a single PCI-e 6 pin connector - The 6790 requires 2. Also, does Seasonic have a service center in Chennai?

Phenomenal

Broken In
Gigabyte mobo suggested is good.
Also SEASONIC makes quality PSUs I have a 620W S12-II.Works very well.Recommended.No idea about service centers there.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
@Gigabyte MOBO: Are you sure? I'll give it another look but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
@Seasonic PSU: Thanks, but the flipkart page only mentions a single PCI-e 6 pin connector - The 6790 requires 2. Also, does Seasonic have a service center in Chennai?

yes GBT mobo is fine.
about psu it has 1 6 pin and 1 6+2 pin connector. flipkart might have mentioned it wrong.
Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W Review

Overclockers Zone
tirupati has a office in chennai. its responsible for seasonic rma.
or
u can contact flipkart. flipkart page reads this -
Customers can get RMA support by sending email to rma@tirupati.net with their purchase details. After verification that the product is sold by Tirupati, they will receive instructions on how to return the defective product They can also get in touch with any of our branch offices across india for rma support with the proof of purchase.

OP
S

shademe

Broken In
Righto, Seasonic S12 it is then! Many thanks.

Oh, nearly forgot - I decided to buy the Cooler Master Elite 431 for my cabinet instead. Will the cable lengths be long enough? Some of the reviews I read on Flipkart/Newegg seem to suggest otherwise.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Righto, Seasonic S12 it is then! Many thanks.

Oh, nearly forgot - I decided to buy the Cooler Master Elite 431 for my cabinet instead. Will the cable lengths be long enough? Some of the reviews I read on Flipkart/Newegg seem to suggest otherwise.

do they mention they could not fit cpu power connector?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
read this :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/service-r...cement-repair-seasonic-psu-over-2-months.html
and this :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...-guide-right-power-supply-25.html#post1682196

OP
S

shademe

Broken In
I see. Thanks for the links. Would a Corsair GS500 be a suitable replacement?

PS: I figured I'd push my budget even further and have decided to get some performance RAM. Any suggestions? I was looking into the G.Skill RipjawsX series. How's the RMA service for G.Skill, by the way?

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
read this :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/service-r...cement-repair-seasonic-psu-over-2-months.html
and this :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...-guide-right-power-supply-25.html#post1682196

thanks for info TP.

I see. Thanks for the links. Would a Corsair GS500 be a suitable replacement?

PS: I figured I'd push my budget even further and have decided to get some performance RAM. Any suggestions? I was looking into the G.Skill RipjawsX series. How's the RMA service for G.Skill, by the way?

yes GS500 is good.
even u can try for GS600 which is about 800 bucks costly. as power supply is one thing which u wont like to replace when u buy new higher end components.
save that 1k from ram u are planning to upgrade to ripjaws X. get one i mentioned.

OP
S

shademe

Broken In
save that 1k from ram u are planning to upgrade to ripjaws X. get one i mentioned.
The G.Skill NT DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT)? But that's a 1333Mhz stick - I figured I'd get a native 1600 kit as I'd settled for an Ivy Bridge processor. And I'd rather not overclock.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say go with Corsair value select Ram - spend the rest of the money to get a true Quad core cpu like Core i5 2310/20 @ ~10.5k

OP
S

shademe

Broken In
I would say go with Corsair value select Ram - spend the rest of the money to get a true Quad core cpu like Core i5 2310/20 @ ~10.5k
That, unfortunately, is not quite possible. Even if I got the value select RAM, I'd be short a couple of grand. I'm pushing my budget as it is.

Phenomenal

Broken In
If you're not too paranoid about Service Centers,go for Seasonic,the cable length is fine.But make sure the service is your region isn't bad.
AFAIK it is bad in the northern side,decent in the Western.
GSKill RipjawsX is also pretty decent,I have a 4Gig 1600MHz stick (Red).People rarely have problems with RAM but it is supposed to be decent,however there might be delays as the product ships from Taiwan.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
That, unfortunately, is not quite possible. Even if I got the value select RAM, I'd be short a couple of grand. I'm pushing my budget as it is.

can you tell me what's your max total budget ?? coz on the first post you said 17k and on post # 13 you said you would push you budget even further .

OP
S

shademe

Broken In
My budget, as it stands, is 22.5K. My config:
  • Intel Core i3-3220 3.30 GHz Processor ~ 7300
  • MSI B75MA-P45 Motherboard ~ 4500
  • 2 x G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) ~ 3100
  • Cooler Master Elite 431 ~ 3100
  • Corsair CMPSU-500GS 80 PLUS Certified 500W Power Supply ~ 4300

Alternatives, if need be:
  • Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H ~ 4400
  • 2 x Corsair Value Select DDR3 4 GB (CMV4GX3M1A1333C9) ~ 2200

Prices were approximated from various online retailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom