Upgrading cpu. mobo. ram. and psu.

And how will I know that if the motherboard support flashing without cpu? And if it doesn't it'll screw up because I don't have any other AMD CPU....

Check the motherboard's features. Also, if a shopkeeper in you city is selling the motherboard which you want to buy, you can check the sticker on the box for the bios version and then see if it will require a bios update or not.

OP
Nighthawk12

Nighthawk12

In the zone
Check the motherboard's features. Also, if a shopkeeper in you city is selling the motherboard which you want to buy, you can check the sticker on the box for the bios version and then see if it will require a bios update or not.

And how to check that if I could update it w/o processor.. Or can I update bios through FX 6300..

ankush28

Bazinga
try to find this GA-78LMT-USB3 @ 3.6k rev 5.0 i.e. BIOS VERSION F3
or asus one mentioned above better get the one with required bios dunno this two mobo supports flashing w/o cpu , might be gigabyte one supports let other members comment on that!

OP
Nighthawk12

Nighthawk12

In the zone
Well If I buy the fx 6300 and the 780 series board today... can't I just update the bios through FX 6300 or it will not boot at all..

Cilus

laborare est orare
If you get the Gigabyte one with Rev 4.1 or 5 then you can easily boot and update the BIOS. Not sure about the Asus one.

Cilus

laborare est orare
What the hell...The Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, both the versions (Rev 4.1 and Rev 5.1) support FX-6300 out of the box. Here is the link of CPU suuport list for the 4.1 version:- GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket AM3+ - AMD 760G - GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 4.1)

And it is completely wrong information that an AM3+ board designed for Bulldozer CPU will not boot when a Piledriver CPU is plugged into it. It will boot but the CPU might not get detected properly. Just update the BIOS and you are good to go.

OP
Nighthawk12

Nighthawk12

In the zone
Hey guys, I've contacted Flipkart today for the Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 mobo. They told me that do not know the manufacturing date as of now but they confirmed me that the mobo supports FX 6300 out of the box and I not need to flash the bios. So shall I purchase it from flipkart? Please suggest.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Based on my experience what I can tell is that if you plug an AM3+ Processor in an AM3+ Motherboard, it will work and will boot up for sure but there may be some instability issues if the BIOS is not updated. My Motherboard, Sabertooth 990FX was designed for AMD Bulldozer CPU initially but when I plugged in my new FX-8350, it was detected and booted up without any issues. Then I updated my BIOS to 1604 which is designed to bring proper Piledriver CPU support.
So IMO the Gigabyte Motherboard will boot up surely with FX-6300 and then you need to update the BIOS (if not already present) to the latest version for maximum stability and performance.

OP
Nighthawk12

Nighthawk12

In the zone
Hey Buddy's. I've extended my budget to 18k -19k max including PSU.
Can I get an i5 config with this budget? I mean I'm trying to avoid AMD since I haven't used it before and mobo problems(Support and ****).
I could have gone for 970A mobo but there is no MicroATX mobo available at 970 modles..
So yeh if it's possible in that budget please suggest an i5 or any other config.

The parts I need is-Mobo(Micro ATX only my cabby doesn't support ATX), Processor and PSU.

And yeah please tell me how much an i5 will be better than FX 6300 in terms of gaming...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
PSU : Antec VP450 @ 3k
CPU : i5 - 3470 @ 12k / i5 3330 @ 11.5k
MotherBoard : Asus P8B75M-LX @ 4.5k

for gaming performance :
AMD FX-8350, FX-8320, FX-6300 and FX-4300: All Vishera Processors in One Review!. Page 6 - X-bit labs

Top Bottom