Unveiling of the World's First 2GB Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
This past Friday, we told you about certain rumors surrounding a possible release of a 2GB Radeon graphics card, coming from PowerColor. According to the rumors, which only surfaced once a set of photos with the card were posted on the ExpreView website, PowerColor was allegedly preparing for the release of a 2GB version of its HD 4850 card. Well, it appears that there’s rarely smoke without a fire as everything turned out to be true, and PowerColor has indeed rolled out the world's first 2GB graphics
card.

*news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Unveiling-of-the-World-039-s-First-2GB-Graphics-Card-2.jpg

The new card was announced today, literally making PowerColor the very first manufacturer to have released a 2GB graphics card based on AMD's mid-range flagship model, the Radeon HD 4850. And, because such a product could not have been released with the stock single slot cooler, it has been equipped with custom cooling solution, provided by Zerotherm.

The new card has been dubbed PCS HD 4850 2GB and is obviously based on the already famous RV770 core chip. It packs no less than 800 stream processors and comes with an industry's first 2GB of GDDR3 high-speed memory. This is enough to enable it to provide the raw power it needs to tackle even the most intensive 3D games available on the market. In what regards other specifications, the new card will offer its users a factory set core speed of 665MHz and the same API support as all the other cards that are based on the latest AMD Radeon processors.

Regarding the name of the product, the PCS tag is an abbreviation for "Professional Cooling System," which should give users an idea of what PowerColor's graphics cards are equipped with. "PowerColor PCS solution ensures a cooler operating environment for GPU and memory for overclocking, also extend the product life," said Ted Chen, CEO of TUL Corporation. "We hope this new image could let gamers be much easier to recognize and deepen their impression about our own design Cooling System." he added.

Until the next high-end 2GB graphics card is revealed, we still have to wait for more details on the price of PowerColor's PCS HD 4850 2GB.

Source

Who

Guess Who's Back
useless it will perform badly compare against HD 4850 512 MB simply because HD 4850 chipset was made in mind for 512 MB , so increasing the memory will not increase any perfomances in a big way , actually i think you will see 1 or 2 less FPS compare to the 512 MB editions.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Re: Good health

bump up ..--------------------------------our wow gold site:buy wow gold, cheap wow gold, free wow gold,
GTH

And finally some new custom coolers for 4850 has began to surface
BTW, there are rumors that 4870 X2 will come in 1Gb and 2Gb GDDR5 flavors...but sure, the X2 will be able to utilize the 2GB.

Nimda

l33t n00b!
2 Gb is something man! I still remember the Voodoo and Riva TNT days when 16Mb was a dream come true!! We've come a long way since then.. and it didn't take too long either :D

Gr8 development..I mean 2GB memory for a GPU :shock:
Still, we need apps(read:games:)) )that can actually utilise this raw power :(
as some believe(and i agree)that even 256-512MB will suffice for gaming and designing

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Thats nice but can the 4850 core make use of that much memory?
If the 4870 or the 4870X2 comes with that much memory then there will surely be a good difference in performance. But here i doubt whether we'll see any kind of improvement.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
the 256 bit GDDR3 is too slow to use full potential of 2GB.
But 2Gb wud be really nice if the 4870 X2 has it with GDDR5, and also with a 512bit memory b/w like the older 2900XT.
that wud probably hit more than 200GBps mem bandwidth!!!!

x3060

A LOTR fan
i don't think its gonna make much of a difference , simply increasing the ram is not gonna make it rock the scores.

Indyan

Here Since 2003
2GB graphics card based on AMD's mid-range flagship model
Seems like just a clever gimmik to me. Gets them loads of press and thats all. A mid range card doesnt need 2gb. Increasing the clock speed is likely to give more significant performance boost.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Seems like just a clever gimmik to me. Gets them loads of press and thats all. A mid range card doesnt need 2gb. Increasing the clock speed is likely to give more significant performance boost.
+1
Increasing the clocks will increase the performance by a small margin.

An 8500 with 1GB memory is available in the market.
A lot of people are not aware that VRAM does not decide the performance of a graphics card. When you ask someone which graphics you have, they usually reply by saying the amount of VRAM and not the core. I'm sure a lot of n00bs will find this card tempting.

hullap

Cyborg Agent

true
and i dont think we require a 2gig gpu :|, for the time being:rolleyes:

Mohnishgs

powering up

yeah you are right........... it does kind of seem like a gimmick........... it seems that they just wanted to bring out the first 2gb card................. how the hell is such card ever going to utilize so much memory............ it cant even run high end games at high detail

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
true
and i dont think we require a 2gig gpu :|, for the time being:rolleyes:

yeah you are right........... it does kind of seem like a gimmick........... it seems that they just wanted to bring out the first 2gb card................. how the hell is such card ever going to utilize so much memory............ it cant even run high end games at high detail

Guys, although it doesn't have much of a difference in actual performance, there is a lot of difference when it comes to higher resolutions. The problems with Mid Range were that although they had the performance to run most games decently, they couldn't do it at higher resolutions. This is going to solve that problem. This is like making a Mid end card to a high end with a slightly lesser clock speed.

So, please don't be fooled into thinking that it makes no differnce, now, you can game with a mid end card like this at high resolutions like on a 22" monitor without killing the card because of it's huge RAM and not to forget the higher bandwidth due to the Industry first GDDR5.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
very true
at higher resolutions, its more GPU intense athan memory intense, and the GPU just needs enuf amount of memory to store the the large nd heavy textures rather than less amount of fast memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom