Unveiling of the World's First 2GB Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^Do you mean to say that the extra 2GB will actually make some considerable difference at higher resolutions?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
After all the card with 512 Mb is able to beat 9800GTX in some benchs at higher resolution. At such resolutions like 2560*1920, 512 MB is way too less to keep up with the GPU.
But maybe 1Gb was enuf for a 4850, but what if it dun cost a bomb? and just some 1~1.5k more expensive than regular 512Mb one...and it does have custom cooler too.

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
^^Do you mean to say that the extra 2GB will actually make some considerable difference at higher resolutions?

*www.pcmech.com/article/video-memory/

Calculating Memory Usage

To put it simply, the more memory, the better. For 2D, it doesn’t really matter. But, for 3D games, it is optimum to have gobs of memory on your video card in order to store the textures the game generates and thus be able to deliver the pictures quickly.

If you don’t play games, there is a mathematical equation to help you figure out just how much video memory you need. This depends on your resolution. The higher the resolution, the more memory you need, because each and every pixel on your screen must have a space in the memory for its data. Here is the computation: Lets say you would like to display 256 colors on a screen resolution of 640×480. At this resolution, there is 307,200 dots, or pixels. 256 colors requires 8 bits or data for each pixel. You can figure this because with an eight digit binary, there are 256 possible combinations. For two colors, you need only 1 bit, either on or off. For 16 colors, you need 4 bits, 2 to the 4th power. 256 colors requires 8 bits, and it goes up from there. Anyway, multiply the number of dots by the number of bits per pixel to get the number of bits for the entire screen.

307,000 x 8 = 2,457,600 bits.
There are eight bits per byte and 1,024 bytes per kilobyte. So…
2,457,600 / 8 = 307,200 bytes = 300K

This card will help 3D amimators and film industry to a very large extent because of the amount of RAM it's got which will help them render more complex 3D models in a single render frame!

Last edited:

x3060

A LOTR fan
cards dont really matter much while rendering in max,maya, after effects, combustion ,fusion etc...they use them only for viewing in screen (viewport),
for rendering proc is used.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
*www.pcmech.com/article/video-memory/

This card will help 3D amimators and film industry to a very large extent because of the amount of RAM it's got which will help them render more complex 3D models in a single render frame!
yup and thats the reason most of the quadro and fire GL cards have 1/2Gb of GDDR3 memory even on a slower GPU models.

shantanu

Technomancer
i have been in gaming from a long time, i had my first card as TNT2 PRo M64 Nvidia with 32 mb , then i got GF2 ( 64) onboard in ASUS A7N 266 , then bought a Geforce 4(64 mb) , then i had a Ati X200 onboard :( then a 6200Ultra sucked on Ati chipset.. then a 7300GT, then 8800 and then 7900 and now :)

Ati is not that BAD, i say this being a Nvidia User from start :)

2 gigs will help in rendering the big 3D max things, wont do any good in gaming for another year or so :D

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
2 gigs will help in rendering the big 3D max things, wont do any good in gaming for another year or so :D

It should for large open world games. Like crysis and Call of Juarez. Huge open worlds means lot more data to be rendered in a single frame and hence larger amounts of RAM will help ease the pressure on the GPU chip by storing these rendered frames rather than wasting time re-rendering it while running out of space to render the rest of the world.

I think 1GB is enough for HD4850. Perhaps HD4870 when OverClocked can get great boosts with 2GB (or atleast 1.5GB) and that Power Cooling System.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom