Uninstalling windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrinmoy

Playing The Game
I have windows 7 installed on my dell studio 1555, now I want to install windows consumer preview in a different partition so that my system becomes dual bootable. But I want to know if I want to uninstall windows 8 how can I do that without damaging windows 7 installation?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just install the windows 8 first on a separate partiotion - it will auto detect and give you dual boot option.

When you feel like uninstall win 8 just delete the win 8 install partition and use easyBCD to remove win 8 entry from the boot menu ;-)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Or.. just install Win 8 on a Virtual machine, if you just want to try out for sometime... and want no hassles!! ;)

doomgiver

Warframe
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine

think of it like a aircraft simulator. you feel like you are flying one, but its actually still on the ground

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, using VM to install and test a OS is a good and safe idea and VMware is the best VM app ;-)

OP
mrinmoy

mrinmoy

Playing The Game
@topgear, I will try this, thanks
@Vyom, thanks for suggestion, but actually my processor does not support hardware virtualization which is necessary to vrtualize windows 8

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, hardware virtualization and running an OS virtually are two very different things!
Please research more.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Pros is that it's the "new" and "shiny" version of Windows... and the cons is .... ...

well, every "other" thing.

OP
mrinmoy

mrinmoy

Playing The Game
Well actually I have tried to install this on oracle virtualbox first, it shows the error that your processor does not support hardware virtualization technology, then I came to know from researching that windows 8 needs hardware virtualization technology to run virtually

nav18

Broken In
Well actually I have tried to install this on oracle virtualbox first, it shows the error that your processor does not support hardware virtualization technology, then I came to know from researching that windows 8 needs hardware virtualization technology to run virtually

Use Latest trial version of vmware(this one also 8) and test windows 8 with it,do not worry about hardware virtualization as it is needed in Microsoft's virtual pc.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Just install the windows 8 first on a separate partiotion - it will auto detect and give you dual boot option.

When you feel like uninstall win 8 just delete the win 8 install partition and use easyBCD to remove win 8 entry from the boot menu ;-)

Just wondering, is it that easy ? Since W8 use secure boot and all, will we be able to boot into other OS after deleting W8 partition ?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, i didn't have to follow a guide to uninstall it. I had XP in dual mode with win 8. And i had to remove win 8.
What I did was to format the drive on which win 8 was installed and then use the following commands in recovery console of windows XP to get back the bootloader of XP:

fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

It worked and my XP was back and win 8 gone. :D

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Believe it or not, but those three commands were easy to type in for me, than to figure out what to do in EasyBCD, without the fear of messing it up more. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom