Understanding camera settings...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
This is the article. You can find an excel sheet in this page named hyper focal. Read, If you understand what 4x5 or 6x6 format are let me know.

And difference between Flash exposure and Flash output?

*www.vividlight.com/articles/3513.htm

Last edited:

agyaat

Broken In
Good to know that I can sharpen the jpeg images. I tried GIMP today and I did what you suggested. But I don't see any massive difference between the sharpen image and the original one.

GIMP is also new to me. If GIMP is as good as Adobe, I can stick with GIMP and learn to use it.

Thanks for the steps to sharpen the image. :)

Today, I was little more active than usual taking photographs. And I dried one pair of batteries.

About that AF lock feature, I tried it. I don't know where I can use this feature. It locks the focal distance and lets us to do manual focus. As we do MF, the clarity is getting reduced. I don't know why the camera letting us to do MF after locking the focal distance.

I think one can use this feature where he don't want the camera to auto focus every time he positions at the subject (where the subject is not gonna move) as it takes time to AF (it's like reducing the work load of cam). He can lock the focal distance and take the photos.

Note: It just locks the focal distance not exposure. Exposure continues to adjust.

Ayaat, Thanks for your valuable time and explaining in detail. It helps to understand things deeper. As you said, this varies from camera to camera. In this camera, it means locking the "focal distance".

What you have explained is exactly same with the feature called FOCUS LOCK in this cam. Here as you said, it locks the focus and exposure.

I am OK with few of my shots taken today. I will post it the photography thread.

And there are two more locks in SX130, AE lock and FE lock. (Auto Exposure and Flash Exposure)

I don't see any settings for in-camera speakers. I think it's for sounds like beep, shutter sound, warning sounds etc... I will soon contact Canon and clear my doubt about this speaker.

Finally, I close this post with the question.

I read an article about hyper focal distance. There I read different camera types and I don't know which category my camera falls in.

These are the types,
*35mm
*4x5
*6x6
*DSLR

I am sure, mine don't fall in DSLR and I think it doesn't fall in 35mm too (I guess it uses film roll).

What's the difference between Flash exposure and Flash output?

There are more 'types' of cameras, based on the size of the film/sensor, usage and the kind of technology/mechanism used in their making, etc.

Mostly 6x7, 6x4.5, etc are in centimeters of dimension of the sides of the film. The cameras are good actually but the films are most likely rare.

SLR: Single Lens Reflex. It has one interchangeable lens, and mirror mechanism. It means that like those small cameras there are no two points of view to the subject. Instead, what enters the lens is what the eyeviewfinder sees. This is achieved by the mirror between the lens and the film/sensor which directs the scene's light into a prism above it, more or less like a kind of periscope for the eye. There are also twin lens reflex cameras.

In the times, the film was flexibly sized as you can see that there are different sizes and all. Now, in the going on it turned out that the dimensions 24mm x36mm became most consumer-level popular. This is the normal 35mm film image capture size inside the camera. The 35mm is because the width of the film is 35mm if you add the width of the sprocket hole on either side of the 24mm side (24mm+ 2 x sprocket hole extra =35mm, that is.)- you can check this using an accurate ruler and pulling out a length of old 35mm film.

Film producing companies like kodak tried to make a smaller width film and named it APS(Advanced Photographing System or something like that). It was smaller than the 24x36 mm exposure by 1.5 to 1.6 times. They wanted to make it so popular as the 35mm film and gradually eclipse the 35mm usage altogether. Consumers did not take to it. Instead we liked the 35mm more :D.

Now enter the digital sensor into the camera and replace the film. The APS sized sensor is the most commonly installed one in a SLR with Digital Sensor (the DSLR). Usually the SLR for the common man means that it is a camera with SLR system in it, and it takes a 35mm film roll. But the DSLR is not the same - it has the APS sized sensor in it instead of the 24x36mm. As the DSLRs with the (1.6 times lesser)APS sensor became more used, the name 'full frame' became common to refer to clarify that the usual DSLR has a smaller sensor, and the 'full frame DSLR is the actual complete conversion of the SLR into digital capture mode'. These 'full frame' DSLRs are expensive and highly advanced. So if you have a full frame DSLR, you have a 35mm DSLR :D.

Then there are the cameras called the P&S. They have no interchangeability of lenses, they have a sensor which is a quarter of the size used in the APS sensor DSLRs, and they don't have a mirror mechanism. They use electronics to display the live view, and use software to process the very small capture they make on their little sensors and give the 10-14 MP which is advertised. Your camera the 130SX is one of them.

About the AF lock well, these locks are used commonly to keep the camera from doing focus hunting/f-value hunting/exposure time recalculation etc as you will lose the shot altogether while it is busy with this kind of work-rework. User judgement is essential in them, so you will make better use of them as you gain experience ie, burn up a lot many more batteries :D.

Gimp is believed to be almost equal to Photoshop, except for some exclusive(patented) brushes and such features used mostly by fashion photo manipulators. Most usual things are conveniently covered in Gimp.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Finally found how to turn up the volume of in-camera speaker.

In playback mode, we need to press UP button to increase volume. One of the toughest search to find this solution. Even I called Canon care, but they weren't sure.

Again found it from dpreview.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@nac congrats...its exactly same as in mobile phones

I told you before too that there must be some option while playing the video ;) U didnt try it properly:D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I had no clue and there were no mentioning of volume button or volume indicator in the manual.

Now, it's not about my camera or camera settings. It's about DSLR lens.

Nikon D3100 DSLR - DX Format camera
Nikkor AFS VR 18-55mm - AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (3.0x)
Nikkor AFS VR 55-200mm - AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
Nikkor AF 50mm 1.8 - AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D
Nikkor AIS 55mm 2.8 Micro - Micro 55mm f/2.8

Yours is DX format camera. So the first two lenses (DX format lenses) will work well. And I am not sure about the last two lenses, so I put it in RED font. If this is the lens you have, they are FX format lenses. I understand that all lens can be mounted in any Nikon SLR camera. But few things like AF, Metering compatibility may vary. How about in your case?

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nikon D3100 can mount any lens but
AF lens wont autofocus on it but will meter properly and mine is not 1.8D version mine is older one without D
AIS lenses can be mount on any nikkon DSLR with the exception of D90....It will harm it

AIS/AI lens will work as manual lens...wont meter wont autofocus...soo u have to set Exposure manually to take an image

All FX lens can be mounted on DX easily without second thought but DX lenses should not be mounted on FX coz it produces vignetting anf distortion and its not worth :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you Sujoy.

My cam has 12x optical zoom. When I take photos at full zoom, info shows that focal length - 60mm. I used digital zoom combined with optical zoom and zoomed @ 48x even now focal length is 60mm.

I understand the focal length in mm is the distance between the sensor and lens.

Now my questions...
What is the distance between lens and subject if the zoom is 1x?
What could be the distance between lens and subject if focal length is 1mm/5mm?
Is there any calculation to get the distance between the lens and subject?

sujoyp

Grand Master
You will understand lens focal length in lenses from this webpage -> Focal Length and F-Stop Explanation

The total zoom does not consider digital zoom...digital zoom is mere magnifying the same picture ...soo a 12x optical zoom will never become 40x anyhow ..and zoom is measured in mm in optical terms soo your lens will remain at 60mm

1. suppose my lens start from 18-55mm soo at 18mm my lens is 1x at 55mm it is 3.5x..
.my 18-55 can focus at a minimum 1 meter weather at 18mm or 55mm soo your lens at any zoom will focus at a minimum focus distance

focal length of 1mm/5mm is nearly impossible :D
Nikon have minimum 6mm lens...
*www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/ai628.jpg

and you r actually talking about distance itself and not focal length...sorry that you have to check in your image properties...take a macro shot and check yourself :)

Leave the macro option....simply at any zoom your cam will focus only till the minimum focus distance (not macro distance) it may be around 1meter...you have to find it out

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you.

Yes, I can find the focus range in the product specification.

After some search, I don't think it's easy thing to keep in mind. Too many photographic terms, too many calculations.

So I better keep it like this... Higher the focal length no. closer the subject. Smaller the crop factor (bigger sensor) more the details/better the image. If I want to know the hyper focal distance, DOF etc... I better keep a chart. ;)

sujoyp

Grand Master
Thats nice....keep it simple ;)

You know even if I understand something its very difficult to tell u in simple ways coz I am no expert...soo bear with me :D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Rhitwick - Thanks for the link to CHDK. I heard about this before buying this camera. But all I knew was it is a third party software. I didn't know this has plenty of attractive features. It's great RAW mode, Hyperfocal calculator, DOF calc, Ultra fast/long shutter speed.

Sujoy - It's alright. Everyone knows something better than others.

And a little clarification. This may help you too as you have Nikon.

All FX lens can be mounted on DX easily without second thought but DX lenses should not be mounted on FX coz it produces vignetting anf distortion and its not worth :)

DX lens can be mounted on FX cameras.

Nikon's DX lenses are lenses which only cover the smaller sensor of DX digital cameras. DX lenses have reduced capacity compared to regular lenses.

Used on a film or full-frame sensor, at some or all settings they will black-out in the corners. FX cameras have the option to use only a smaller section in the center of their larger sensors, so DX lenses will work properly on FX cameras, too.

And FX lenses for full frame cameras. If this FX lenses used in DX cameras, the full frame (of the lens) will be cropped by DX cameras, right? And the effectiveness of the lens will not be as effective as when used on FX cameras???

sujoyp

Grand Master
Any FX lens when used with a APS-C or DX DSLR it with work as good as it will work on Full frame DSLR...

But it will be a waste of money coz FX lens r costlier than DX lenses....but people who wants to upgrade to FX DSLR in future or people using film SLRs will have FX lenses

You are right , to effectively utilise the FX lenses its important to have FX or full frame DSLR....A DX camera will utilise only a part of that lens optics.

These FX and DX came with Digital SLRs only....in film days most SLR were full frame and all lenses worked with full frame sensors

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
What are the benefits of having in-body motor vs the camera which don't have?

I am just asking after checking these two DSLR 550D vs D5100.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Talking about Nikon

Nikon low end models dont have in-body motor but above D90 all have...This is useful coz nikon have lots of old lenses...from around 1980s to current(around 30 years) Nikon used to make AF lenses and only from around last 12 years its slowly making AFS with motor.
Although In-body motor do not focus as quickly as AFS lenses...Also I have read somewhere that higher models like D300 and full frame D3 etc have better motors for fast focusing.

AF lenses r cheaper than AFS and can be bought used at good bargain price :)

About Canon

Canon took a different path alltogather...it scrapped out its old mount...and old lenses wont work on current DSLRs without adapters..In current scenario all the canon lenses have focus motors...soo all canon lenses will work on all canon DSLRs
Its a misconception that all canon body have motors but rather all lenses have motors

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you binarycodes and Sujoy.

I think I shouldn't have compared 550D vs D5100. I couldn't pick one. Luckily, I wasn't buying DSLR a month ago. It would have been a hell of a confusion which one to pick.

Now back to my camera settings.

*img39.imageshack.us/img39/9866/10591174.png

In this snap you can see three shooting options. I can see three options but instead of third option continuous LV I have Single Shoot. I don't know what LV stands for...

By default it is in Continuous AF. Should I keep it as it is or it's better to change it to Standard Single Shoot.

2. What is AF assist beam?

3. There are three options in IS mode.
Continuous, Shoot only and Panning. By default it is in Continuous mode. Can I leave it as it is or change it to other mode. And what is panning here?

sujoyp

Grand Master
1. LV stands for live view...since DSLRs have viewfinder people shoot from viewfinder which is faster..live view is like shooting from the rear screen...which is the way in digital cameras..u can keep it on single or continous ...no problem

2. AF assist beam is there in Nikon DSLRs to focus in dark...an orange led light is there ...which light up when one try to focus on the subject...one way its annoying but without it cant focus in dark.

3. Continous IS is the stabiliser work all the time even when u r viewing the scene...shoot only is stabiliser work when u push the button to focus...Panning I dont remember

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you Sujoy :)

AF turns LV in few modes like "Fireworks" (Scene mode)

AF beam - You mean small light blinks while pressing shutter button?

The reason I asked about Continuous/Single shooting mode and Continuous/Shoot only IS was if these things eats up battery more, I can turn to other mode.

I checked those modes today, and I don't see any difference between Continuous and Continuous AF.

Top Bottom