Unable to view folder on my USB Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushantvirdi

Journeyman
I am facing a wierd problem. I had one old usb drive with data which I need to use now. So i connected the pendrive and it show that 1GB space has been used out of 4GB. Upon opening the pendrive it shows empty. I even tried all the DOS commands to view the directories but DOS shows shows 2 directories with Names as [.] and [..] I am unable to browse them also. NOD 32 also does not show anything upon scanning. I have tried all the commands available over the net to view hidden files and folders but nothing has worked. Please someone help me. The data is very imp to me. I am attaching the screenshots.

*i.imgur.com/egG5BnV.png
*i.imgur.com/mucPJG4.png

Please help me...:cry:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ +1 to that idea .. also OP should scan his PD for any kind of file system/bad sector related errors and make sure his pc his free from any kind of malware/virus infection.

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Since you are using windows. go to organize>>folder and search option>>view>>uncheck hide extension of known file types>>uncheck hide protected system files>>ok. this will show all sort of folders and files. I don't know if this will work but i have seen certain viruses change files and folders change into system file as system files are generally hidden in windows and seeing that you don't have access to linux you can give this a try.
you may also try to recover using recovery software since files are present on the device.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@OP - use this command from an elevated command prompt window :

attrib -h -r -s /s /d J:\*.*

Devenderthakur

Right off the assembly line
it is definetely being infected by a virus get your pendrive scanned by a good antivirus you can download a 30 day trial version of quick heal total security it is the best one.

this process can not bring your folders backup but after scan you can be sure that you don't have any infection of virus .

after the above steps scan your usb by some data recovery tools like active file recovery, icare data recovery and many more lots of are available ................... it will definetly search for all the hidden files and folders save them at some other place at your hdd

do reply you you find it heplful
:lol:
enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Devenderthakur - welcome to TDF! and if you are suggesting OP to use some paid app better mention it's developer's website instead of suggesting him to get it from some questionable 3rd party source .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom