• CONTEST ALERT - Experience the power of DDR5 memory with Kingston Click for details

Unable to remove write protection from usb drive

Vignesh B

Youngling
A friend's usb drive is infected by a some malware which is preventing the drive to be formatted or for that case to do anything with any of the files except open them. A scan with defender shows the malware but it is unable to clean it. Even unlocker is unable to delete those files. I have even tried to create a registry entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies named "WriteProtect" & set the value to 0 but in vain.

2013-09-22 15_52_19-Greenshot.jpg

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Try it on another pc with updated antivirus. Also try a linux bootable disk and format.

OP
V

Vignesh B

Youngling
Also try a linux bootable disk and format.
Did, but yet the same error message that the disk is write protected.

Same error with this one too.

If you get one solution, do tell.
Sure.

I have tried removing with various different antiviruses, but none of them are able to clean it. Also tried using boot-time scans of avast & avg rescue cd.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if even linux boot cd can't format/delete the files on usb drive then most likely its hardware is damaged & you can't do anything about it except buying a new one.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
in case of pen drives it is possible under certain circumstances.e.g.if a malware was writing continuously to pen drive resulting in no response from safely remove pen drive option & you then take it out suddenly & this happened multiple times then it may result in corrupted hardware.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I also have a brand new moserbaer 8gb pd lying useless with the same problem. There's a movie folder and the corresponding file, plus some gibberish named files ranging in several GBs (false). I tried everything available on internet, and they failed.

The system apparently had no malware.

Top Bottom