Unable to boot linux mint 13 from usb

Hi friends. I'm trying to create a live usb of mint 13. I've tried universal usb installer and xboot. In both cases my laptop failed to boot from usb. I've tried formatting the usb as fat32 and ntfs. Both failed. My laptop is hp g6. I've already changed the bot order.

Flake

Linux User
Check partition structure of USB using fdisk -l command in Linux or Disk Management Tool in Windows OS. If USB stick has more than one partition, delete all partitions of USB and create new one. Format it and make LiveUSB again.

OP
Harsh Pranami

Harsh Pranami

Padawan
Same old case. :( However I forgot to mention one thing. Every time I press f9 key during bootup, I get two options b0ot from hard drive or from efi file. Upon choosing efi file, the pen drive is shown. After clicking it, some sort of file explorer opens up and displays the folders on pen drive.

Flake

Linux User
That EFI part, which you forgot to mention, is the reason for installation failure. GRUB, default boot loader of LinuxMint doesn't work with EFI capable BIOS. I would suggest you check this link. If you have any further query, do post back here.

** Go through that link but do not use GParted/Convert partition table unless you know what you are doing.

OP
Harsh Pranami

Harsh Pranami

Padawan
I've already disabled secure boot and enabled legacy mode in bios. No luck :(

- - - Updated - - -

Partition style is mbr not gpt.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
still check bios boot device order when usb is plugged in.if i remember correctly even after enabling legacy mode in a hp business series laptop boot order still lists 2 cd/usb devices with one having () in front of its name.

OP
Harsh Pranami

Harsh Pranami

Padawan
Yes I've already tried lili. Same result. Boot order is correct too. The problem is that my computer doesn't recognise the pen drive.Same thing happened when I tried with an older version of ubuntu. But when I tried to create a live usb of 'ubuntu ultimate edition 3.5'(relatively newer os) everything fell into place. But this is too heavy for my laptop. The fan keeps running at full speed and fries my nuts.

- - - Updated - - -

?????

OP
Harsh Pranami

Harsh Pranami

Padawan
The problem seems to be in the bootloader, since the pen drive is not being detected as bootable. BTW I'll give a shot to rufus once I reach home.

©mß

Journeyman
Just once instead of choosing your USB Drive, choose the DVD/CD Rom Drive.
I too have HP laptop and instead of USB(it was not working as yours) I selectd CD Rom and voila!! It worked.
Just give it a try.

Top Bottom