ubuntu wireless connection not detecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhishek_734

Broken In
i recently installed ubuntu 8.04 64 bit inside windows vista on my compaq c752tu laptop.when booting ubuntu i found that it is not showing wireless connection to connect.it only shows wired connection in network manager.so i m not able to search for wireless network and connect to any of them.i checked ubuntu help(i m new to linux).it told me to check my wireless adaptor is detected or not in preferences-hardware manager.but there is no hardware manager or any device manager in preferences.there is a hardware report function which detects all my hardware correctly.also my wireless switch is not working.it turns blue frm orange when i switch it on but in linux it remains orange.the same wireless adaptor works perfectly in vista.i m not able to find linux drivers on hp or ubuntu site.what shud i do.

my config-
intel core 2 duo,intel 965 chipset,intel pro wireless 3945abg network adaptor,realtek rtl8139/810x family fast ethernet

OP
A

abhishek_734

Broken In
i installed ubuntu as a program in win vista.i can uninstall linux from control panel in windows.although the functionality of linux is similar to as a dual boot.i m not using virtual machine.

output of iwconfig is

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

tuxybuzz

Ballack Junior
you need to use ndiswrapper..most probably your card isnt supported..google it and you'll find lots of HOW-TO's

and yes please don't spoil linuxs' beauty by using it in virtual machines..

ok sorry..i think you used WUBI..but still Dual Boot whats the problem..sorry off topic..

Last edited:

virus_killer

Journeyman
You need to do three things over here.

1. Get an .inf5 file for your wireless driver. you can get it from your laptop's manufacturer web site.
2. go to the Add/Remove programs in Ubuntu and type " ndiswrapper" , you will get the package called "windows driver". installed that application. and after installing that application , go to system -> Administration -> windows wireless driver. here it will ask you for the location of .inf file. get that file and press okay.
3.restart your laptop.

Hope it would work out for you.

tuxybuzz

Ballack Junior
dude it aint just this..he's got to blacklist and stuff..it would be better if he'd just GOOGLE it and he'll get the detailed walkthrough..

OP
A

abhishek_734

Broken In
thx everybody.this is how my problem was solved.

my laptop was not having bluetooth.i inserted a bluetooth dongle ,installed the drivers and now my wireless has started working.

Doy22

Right off the assembly line
I have an Intel 4965AGN WiFi card, which was automatically detected. Sometimes after a restart in different networks, the network wouldn´t be detected, after reading around I found that by erasing the file /etc/networks/interfaces, and restarting the current networks were found. However this trick isn´t working any longer. The network is just not detected (but it is active as other machines, and the same one when restarted in the "other OS", detect it). There is no list of available networks, and if I choose it manually, the "starting interface" takes a long time and finally gives an error (little orange exclamation mark on the network tray applet) During that time the signal intensity meter is in zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom