Ubuntu resolution problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

blademast3r

In the zone
Hey guys ive installed ubuntu on my old system... the thing is that it stats in 1024X768 resolution nd my monitor does nt support it... but i think theres a way to change the startup resolution in recovery text mode...cud sm1 pls gimme the command??

praka123

left this forum longback
edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
you can press ALT+F2 to get run.inside type:
Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
now,browse to section "Screen" in xorg.conf:
add the lines in bold to the places.remember:make sure you entered these bold lines just above EndSection in section "Screen" .save and restart/X .
Code:
 [B]SubSection     "Display"
       Viewport     0 0
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubSection[/B]
[B][COLOR="Blue"]EndSection[/COLOR][/B]

good luck :)

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
I had 1024*768 resolution on Ubuntu 7 but cant get it on Hardy..
Even edited the Xorg.conf file wth the help of fellow Digit IRC members, but It didnt work out!

Anyways I have formatted Ubuntu and switching to DreamLinux. So cnt work over it anymore....

sakumar79

Technomancer
I am currently using Ubuntu 8, I have nVidia 7600GS card and 17" Samsung 793s monitor... I am easily getting 1024x768 resolution with freq upto 85 Hz in XP, but in Ubuntu, it is running with Freq 50 Hz... If I try to increase it any further, the screen becomes blurry... Any help? Do I need to download any special drivers?

Arun

praka123

left this forum longback
well,the native screen resolution tool reports wrong frequency with proprietary nvidia driver.you invoke "nvidia-settings" to see the correct resolution and other details.

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^ So, should I run nvidia-settings through terminal? Do I need to run through sudo?

Arun

No need to run it via sudo! Run it directly..Also if it complains that the package/command does not exist, fire up Synaptic, search for nvidia-settings, install it and then run it again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom