Ubuntu now more popular than Mac OS X!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Interesting google trendz
Whats up everyone? I was just taking a look at Google Trends and I found out something interesting. Apparently Ubuntu Linux has not only surpassed its major competitor in Linux ( SuSE ) in popularity, as well as the distro it's based off of (Debian) , but it seems to have also surpassed another major competitor. Yes, that's right! Apple Computer's very own Mac OS X has also been defeated in popularity by Ubuntu! Check it out for yourself. Here is a screenshot I took not 15 minutes ago.
*photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4922/146/1600/gtrends.jpg
The blue line you see shooting up to the sky there is Ubuntu itself, while Mac OS, SuSE and Debian seem to all hang around the same general level of popularity. I've purposely left Windows out of this graph because if added, all of these OS's crawl near the bottom of the graph in an almost flat line compared to Windows' wild lead. Just thought this was pretty cool! Free software is definetly making some serious progress.

source : *thelinuxadvocate.blogspot.com/

well its just google trendz not really the benchmark of popularity , btw if u put just 'mac' instead of 'mac os' in trendz, its a different story.

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
If you go by market share, OS X still has around 6% share in the US market(Gartner report) and around 4% worldwide. I doubt Ubuntu has that much user base.
However, it's a real cool distro, and in my x86 days, when I wasn't on Slackware(and other distros based on it), I was on Ubuntu.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Aww Man! Is Every Story directly off Digg? :D

(Do PM me your Digg ID's, mine is subbzzz, add me as a Friend)

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@mail2and, No, you are wrong. There are more Ubuntu users worldwide than Mac users!!
Ubuntu Linux has a very strong community base. Ofcourse Mac has it's own followers too.
Does anyone send a Mac OS installation CD for free?? Ofcourse not!! You can get Ubuntu CD
for free, just order online. That's not the case with Mac CD!!

sree_shan

Broken In
pretty good post man....
iam happy to see this becz... iam using ubuntu at present in my system and i used to argue wth my frends that its the bst and bla bla bla.......
so i can show this thread to them ...
:) :) :)
thanks 4 the post

praka123

left this forum longback
Originally Posted by JGuru
@mail2and, No, you are wrong. There are more Ubuntu users worldwide than Mac users!!
me too have doubt about market share of total Linux users vs Macintosh any platform users..
i saw below link showing may be a wrong market share views but it showed Mac OS X is clearly ahead of GNU/Linux
*marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2
*www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34491

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Mac may have a some edge in the market now. The future belongs certainly to Linux.
Ubuntu in particular is going at full speed. I'm very sure the Mac will fall behind Linux
in terms of market share in the future.
Ubuntu Linux runs twice as fast as Mac OS X on a MacBookPro!!! Click here
Mac like Vista allocates lot of resources for user interface, so eventually runs slower
than Ubuntu Linux.

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
google trend dosen't give correct info chk out ur self when i did enter winxp and vista it shown vista is more popular
*www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu,+vista,+os+x+,+winxp

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Google Trends is nothing but a Feature that shows what People Search Most..

In The Mac OS, Ubuntu Case.. People Search about Ubuntu Most!!

And in Vista Case.. People search about Vista More compared to Ubuntu.. (Of Course!!)

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Desi-Tek.com said:
than accoring to google ppl do more search on vista than xp. crap
LOL! Vista is the Next upcoming Windows OS.. Everyone Including me is Interested in it.. So People do search More!!

Everyone uses XP, and XP is nearly 5 Years Old!! Who Searches about XP!?

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
JGuru said:
Ubuntu Linux runs twice as fast as Mac OS X on a MacBookPro!!!
Well, try running Ubuntu with 256 MB Ram ;)

Slackware(and distros based on it) runs amazingly well on my papa's Celeron M laptop with 256 MB Ram. Ubuntu crawls(I have to say that it is largely because of GNOME. Xubuntu ran quite well on 256 MB)

You'd rather not have said that. :( :p

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
mail2and said:
Well, try running Ubuntu with 256 MB Ram ;)

Slackware(and distros based on it) runs amazingly well on my papa's Celeron M laptop with 256 MB Ram. Ubuntu crawls(I have to say that it is largely because of GNOME. Xubuntu ran quite well on 256 MB)
Isn't it more cos Slackware is optimised for 486 whereas ubuntu is for 686?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Ubuntu is also compiled for 486 only! (the default kernel says i386 but i've heard its optimized for 486)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
what is the diffrence between i386,i486,i586,i686

and in which palce does amd athlon 64 3000+ come??

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
All these are processor architectures. There are also AMD ones like k6,k7,k8,amd64 etc.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
gary4gar said:
what is the diffrence between i386,i486,i586,i686

and in which palce does amd athlon 64 3000+ come??
Gary look it up in wikipedia. That can explain better than I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom