Ubuntu networking problem!!! Nooo....

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit_sen

In the zone
Ubuntu networking problem!!! BACK AGAIN!

Things were working great in Ubuntu until last night when my internet connection does not seem to work anymore!! I connect via my university LAN. The lan connection is automatically established as it usually is, but everytime there is absolutely no data transfer!! Checking the details of the connection...the 'recieved' bytes keeps incresing but the 'sent' byes remains constant at somehwere around 30kb.

And the worst part is that my connection still works prefectly in windows!!!!

Someone please help...

Cheers
Aditya

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
Please elobarate a bit further! Recieved bytes don't increase automatically. U send a packet and recieve the file! Thats how it works. Are u able to ping any site's IP?? Are u able to ping yahoo.com?

eddie

El mooooo
Are you using DHCP or Static IP? Have you checked /etc/resolv.conf to see that the DNS server information is entered correctly?

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
mediator said:
Please elobarate a bit further! Recieved bytes ...

What I mean is that I connect access anythin on the web. From the browser (firefox) I get 'site www..... not found. please check your connection settings and try again'. Even sites on the local university intranet don't open!!! Same goes for messenger (Gaim). Does not connect to msn / yahoo. 'apt-get' etc...nothing seems to be working anymore!!

And as for the connection, its not a static IP address. Its automatically configured via DHCP...

I didn't change any settings before...and it was working fine!!! Like I said..moment I go over to windows it works fine...

mediator

Technomancer
Hmmm......I understand! Here's what u shud do !

1. Check if ur ethernet connection is disabled. If so then enable it,try to surf the net and tell whats the outcome! If its not then proceed!

2. Goto windows and in command terminal type "ipconfig" and then "ipconfig/all" and then post here the result of those commands.

3. In Ubuntu terminal type "more /etc/resolv.conf" and "more /etc/hosts". Post their readings here as well!

Help us in helping u!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I'd say, first of all ask the network administrator of your university if any changes were made that day.

praka123

left this forum longback
something with university dhcp server(S)..perhaps u should inquire about that.and... just causally do try restarting ur network using command:
/etc/init.d/networking restart
and observe using "ifconfig" everything OK.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Adit_Sen, You can do one thing. Open the Terminal Window & type:

$ sudo dhclient

By default DHCP is enabled. If you have problems with your ISP or LAN. Then make
the 'Network Settings' as static. Here is how:

$ gksu network-admin

This opens the 'Network Settings', Under 'Connection' tab select 'Ethernet Connection',
click on 'Properties' .
This opens up the 'Interface Properties' dialog.
Here, Under 'Connection Settings' , 'Configuration' , change it to 'Static IP address', instead of the default 'DHCP'.
Now fill up the IP address, Subnet mask, Gateway address. (Get these info from your University)
Click on OK button. Again click on OK. This should solve your problem.

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Adit_sen, Sometimes if you are not able to connect to the Net & in Windows (things
are working fine). Then change your 'Network Settings' as static. One MTNL broadband
user had a similar problem. I told him to change his Network Settings to 'static' in Ubuntu.
And the problem was solved!!

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
okie. we're back to square one. the network problem has returned. as usual, windows is working fine, and ubuntu....sigh. Changing to a static is not the solution because the server does not support static IP addresses!! It only supports DHCP. and anyhow, I don't see how that should make a difference as it's working fine using DHCP in windows.

also, as suggested by others, its nothing to do with the uni DHCP servers either. My entire uni (over 7000 computers) all run Linux (Fedora / Suse)...
so there's something definitely wrong in my end...

Help?

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
and going its usual ways....its back to normal again!!! aargh....
can someone explain why does this keep happening?

djmykey

Let the music play.....
@aditya - Give the command ifconfig when the net is working and when its not working. Coz if there is a problem with the DHCP then it will show up 2 diff IP's here . Now tell me one thing there is a hostname in linux as well as windows. Is it same in linux and windows. If yes remove it. So what you do is when u have DHCP u need to give both the os diff hostnames; I dunno y this is there but thats what we do at our office (we have only 4500 comps in our office so sorry my exp doesnt count as much as urs). Try this and see if it works. Coz 2 diff os tries to write to the DNS with the same name, the DNS thinks something is fishy.

hrushij

Broken In
can any one tell me how can i connect dial up connection from live cd of knoppix from my phone line using appp (something like that)
or can suggest for suse also
pls.............

mediator

Technomancer
^^ Use kinternet, fill up the user and dialup password and in the extra initialization commands put "ATX 1" and then dial with it! Ur done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom