Ubuntu Linux Vs. Windows Vista: The Battle For Your Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digit_Dragon

Old Stock in New Bottle!!
Check out who is the winner

*www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199201179&pgno=1&queryText=

prasad_den

Padawan
To me, ubuntu wins hands down, coz its good, and its free..!! No vista for me at least for quite some time.. And XP does its work very well till now..!!

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
for me XP works fine :) , i'll shift to Vista when i get the hardware to run it .

well Ubuntu is good too but not for normal "Home" uses who do a lil bit of gaming , music n multimedia . that's my thinking . although it is "Very Good" for offices where you need to do a specialized task n there it can be customized to do a single task or a set of tasks n then deployed .

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Nice comprehensive article.
The last quote by the reviewer is very true.

Ubuntu's best strength is handling the ordinary task-based day-to-day stuff. Vista has a level of completeness and polish that some people find it hard to do without.

amitava82

MMO Addict
Many people say Ubuntu is not polished as Vista which is i must admit is true in certain cases. But they often forget that Vista took more than 15 years to come to current Polished stage from Windows 3.0 (I'm leaving Windows 1.0, 1985), where as Ubuntu is merely 3 Years old. There is a Huge time advantage for Windows. Also I'm leaving out driver issue, mp3 etc... everyone knows the fact. I'm pretty much confident that by the time Microsoft releases next version of Desktop OS Ubuntu will be as Polished as Vista.

I find that the author of this comparison, actually went out of his way to trash Linux. In the beginning he claims to put aside his own bias, and then IMHO fails to do so. For example, he criticizes Ubuntu for not having his HP printer driver... even while admitting that Vista didn't have a native driver either. This is neither the fault of either OS developer groups, its HP's problem, yet he gives points to Vista for this and takes a dig at Ubuntu for not having it. Actually Ubuntu developers works more harder than Microsoft developer. They just Borrow drivers from the product manufacturers where as Ubuntu developers have to reverse engineer to get a working driver.

Also the author left out Synaptic package manager saying its for Advanced users (Whats so advanced in it???) and Comparing Windows "add remove programs" tools with Ubuntu "add remove" tools...

one more comment I'd like to quote from a poste which is very true.. The saying - "Linux is not ready for the desktop" is SO wrong ! Its not linux ! Linux has been desktop ready for years now ! Its the userbase thats not ready for desktop linux. Please remember that Linux is not windows, so don't expect it to operate like Windows. Linux hasnt been built to mimic windows's operability. Its a different O/S in its own right - Please treat it that way.

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
amitava82 said:
Actually Ubuntu developers works more harder than Microsoft developer. They just Borrow drivers from the product manufacturers where as Ubuntu developers have to reverse engineer to get a working driver.
well i'l agree to that but It's not MS Developer's problem , if ubuntu developers agree to ship with propreitary drivers rather than insist on having Open Source drivers then i think their work will be much easier too n they can concentratre more on the usability part .

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Windows Vista would be the clear winner for most people and I don't think they would be wrong. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
amitava82 said:
Many people say Ubuntu is not polished as Vista which is i must admit is true in certain cases. But they often forget that Vista took more than 15 years to come to current Polished stage from Windows 3.0 (I'm leaving Windows 1.0, 1985), where as Ubuntu is merely 3 Years old.
no open source OS is as polished as vista and open source has been around before windows

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
amitava82 said:
Many people say Ubuntu is not polished as Vista which is i must admit is true in certain cases. But they often forget that Vista took more than 15 years to come to current Polished stage from Windows 3.0 (I'm leaving Windows 1.0, 1985), where as Ubuntu is merely 3 Years old. There is a Huge time advantage for Windows. Also I'm leaving out driver issue, mp3 etc... everyone knows the fact. I'm pretty much confident that by the time Microsoft releases next version of Desktop OS Ubuntu will be as Polished as Vista.

Well, if you are considering that Windows 3.0 to Windows Vista time frame as 15 years then why don't you also consider Linux kernal 1.0 to kernal 2.6 timeframe too

KDE 1.0 to KDE 3.5 time frame too

GNOME 1.0 to GNOME current version time frame too.

amitava82

MMO Addict
We are comparing Ubuntu with Vista and their usability NOT the kernel (BTW its not kernal) or desktop environment. if you want to compare kernel then there is already a thread comparing both the kernel with a link if you remember and the time frame would be 1985 VS 1991. Try to do fair comparison :p
BTW KDE: 1996, GNOME: 1997

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
amitava82 said:
We are comparing Ubuntu with Vista and their usability NOT the kernel (BTW its not kernal) or desktop environment. if you want to compare kernel then there is already a thread comparing both the kernel with a link if you remember and the time frame would be 1985 VS 1991. Try to do fair comparison :p
BTW KDE: 1996, GNOME: 1997
well mate if you're no comparing kernel then u should count development of vista to be after the last release of the OS , n that would be Windows XP with SP2 in September 2004 , then according to this Vista took just 3 years to come from the drawing board to the floor .

also if u consider the 2001 Release date of XP , then too vista took 6 years to be released , now that would be fair competition bcoz the 15 years u're counting include the development of Windows Kernel too n not just vista , also Vista Includes an almost completely reqritten kernel so development time would be taken no more than before 2001 .

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Actually MS scraped the old Longhorn 4xxx builds with Plex skin which was based on Windows XP SP2 kernel with Windows server 2003 Kernel in 2003

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
gx_saurav said:
Actually MS scraped the old Longhorn 4xxx builds with Plex skin which was based on Windows XP SP2 kernel with Windows server 2003 Kernel in 2003
i was gonna mention that but i thought that linux user's might not have that info n then i would hv to cite sources , etc , etc so i refrained

amitava82

MMO Addict
So just wikipedia told u n u believed that MS didn't use any references from previous windows.. Its like "climbing a tree from top" or "Intel developed core 2 duo without developing P1".... Dude just use common sense.. people do not achieve everything in a flash.. It's Called EXPERIENCE that helps... If MS Developers didn't have references and access to previous Windows sources then it would have taken more than 12 years to develop Vista. Hope u guys have little business sense. u guys go visit some companies n talk to the people there. This will help you to think Logically. Just don't talk like Fanboy.

May be off topic but here is few lines from a case study I'm doing from business week September 8 2003
Security experts and corporate tech purchasers say the glitches exist because Microsoft and other software companies have placed a high priority on getting products out quickly and loading them with features, rather than attending to security. They're calling on the industry -- and Microsoft in particular -- to make software more secure. Ralph Szygenda, chief information officer at General Motors Corp., got fed up when his computers were hit by the Nimda virus in late 2001. He called Microsoft executives. "I told them I'm going to move away from Windows," Szygenda recalls. "They started talking about security all of a sudden."

Last year, amid much fanfare, Microsoft launched its Trustworthy Computing initiative, a campaign it claimed would put security at the core of its software design. As part of the campaign, more than 8,500 Microsoft engineers stopped developing the upcoming Windows Server 2003 and conducted a security analysis of millions of lines of freshly written code. Microsoft ultimately spent $200 million on beefing up security in Windows Server 2003 alone. "It's a fundamental change in the way we write software," says Mike Nash, vice-president for security business. "If there was some way we could spend more money or throw more people on it, believe me, we'd do it." Yet, embarrassingly, Windows Server 2003, released in April, was one of the operating systems exploited by Blaster. The virus carried a snide message for Microsoft Chairman William H. Gates III: "Billy Gates why do you make this possible? Stop making money and fix your software!"
Too much for security..

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Amit

What are you trying to say here? We all know that Vista is using old source code too, only with Vienna the kernel will be re-written from scratch.

Now if you care comparing that to Linux, then isn't Linux kernel also using code from kernel version 0.1?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
no point these guys dont understand fairness ..... ubuntu abhi bahi aya ... vista toh 1990 mein hi ban gaya tha ... this statement is more ridiculous than any provided by even the apple fan boys

and look whos talking about business sense :D

kuch nahi bacha toh chalo vista ki security ke piche ....

mediator

Technomancer
Why doesn't the author say anything about Gaming on VISTA? Is he afraid to reveal something?

DRM gives power to Microsoft and Big Media.

* They decide which programs you can and can't use on your computer
* They decide which features of your computer or software you can use at any given moment
* They force you to install new programs even when you don't want to (and, of course, pay for the privilege)
* They restrict your access to certain programs and even to your own data files
Source

Then some reviews
*www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070422083715451#comments
*www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/01/5-sins-of-vista.html

Then a major embarassment which almost everyone seems to be complaining about and which shud have been corrected in alpha testing stage itself, forget about beta!

And now for the article!
Is Linux finally ready to take on Windows as a desktop OS? We tried out both Vista and Ubuntu on individual PCs to see which works better. Here's who won.
So, I think the appropriate question is "IS VISTA ready to take on Xp?".

And I dunno whats the hype about being polished. The VISTA screenshots that I have seen on my friends PCs is nuthing but same as that of Xp with a little styleXP on it. THe screenshots that I see on ubuntuforums regularly look much more amazing than that! So the question that arises in my mind is that "Is VISTA finally ready to take on latest linux distros in the "polish" department"?

So since windows fanboys here usually talk about and give an excuse of average joe, then let me remind that average joe isn't concerned about the cause of "driver problems", "90% games not working", "why his file takes so much time to copy" and lots of other issues. So desktop experience on VISTA? :oops:

I think its better to discuss about UBUNTU Vs VISTA on desktop after SP2 of VISTA!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I think I should post again an eye opener

1) 90% of games won't work On vista? Did someone tried palying those games again after installing DirectX 9c Feb 2007 package or newer on Windows Vista to get back the DirectX 9 libraries?
DRM gives power to Microsoft and Big Media.

* They decide which programs you can and can't use on your computer
* They decide which features of your computer or software you can use at any given moment
* They force you to install new programs even when you don't want to (and, of course, pay for the privilege)
* They restrict your access to certain programs and even to your own data files
Again saying it, Microsoft must follow the rules imposed by EU, RIAA & MPAA. Why don't you blame them?

MS doesn't decide which program you run & which U don't. If this was the case then the Virus problem will seaze to exist on Windows platform cos Virus is also a program.

They don't decide, MPAA & RIAA does. They must support what these companies say else MS will be sued & closed.

You have all the freedom now to install any application that you do not want. They don't send there workers to your home & tell you to install WGA update on gun point. Comon Linux users talk in proper sence.

And seriously Dude, when the hell MS resitrcited anyone from using there own files? This is just stupid, written bliendly by some Anti-MS user .

The File copy bug is indeed a bug, but read again that thread. There is a fix already posted there.

Just linking to other articles on the internet won't help. Talk with your own experience

Just that, other OS users will never try to figure out things from the inside. Saying that Vista is just XP with a new skin is indeed stupid when you don't even know how many new technologies are there inside vista

mediator

Technomancer
Just linking to other articles on the internet won't help. Talk with your own experience
Eggjactly! And I think this is exactly what was going on before I entered...people talking with half knowledge? As u can see, I never posted my experience with VISTA save the desktop screenshots part.
And here we have users who r talking about "polishness" and talking about "Ubuntu's best strength is handling the ordinary task-based day-to-day stuff." etc. There r plenty of people in the world who do everything that they want to do on Ubuntu. How come is that ordinary task-based day-to-day stuff?

So I think people shud spend the same time they spent with windows (or atleast 1 year or a few months in extreme) before talking about Ubuntu and vice versa. I hope the messege was quite "sensible" and clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom