Ubuntu Help- Low disk space

Status
Not open for further replies.

saigalp

Broken In
Hi,
I recently installed ubuntu 6.06, in dual boot with Win XP, from the live CD I got from shipit.ubuntu. At the time of installation I chose the first option for Partitioning i.e. install on hda7 and the only change I made was to allot 100% 18gb space on hda7 instead of 50% as shown by ubuntu. My computer has 80gb hard disk with four equal partitions. After that the installation went fine. I then configured my network and downloaded updates. Which also went fine. But then I started getting low disk space message. Currently it says that 99% of my disk is full. On checking from my windows partition I found that / had only 2 gb on the partition and rest of hda7 still shows fat 32.
Please help me to allot more space to ubuntu so that it can work properly.
I have partition manager on my Windows partition. Can I just resize the / partition with the help of PM 8. or do I have to uninstall ubuntu and reinstall it again. If so then please tell me how to partition my drive.

praka123

left this forum longback
can u post ur "df -h"(without quotes) ......if u have instled lottof stuffs may be cleaning out /tmp and using ``apt-get autoclean`` will help yu...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
If your / is just made off 2 GB, there is hardly you can do anything but to install again, this time manually deleting partitions and creating confiremed sizes. Try as much as possible not to go for automatic solutions.

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
you must have created atleast 3 gb partition, 2gb is the bare minimum.

i think frm next time you should resize the partition in wondows itself with some partitioning software like partition magic, paragon disk mananger.

i did it with acronis partition expert.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Use the ubuntu cd itself to resize.. You can use the ubuntu 4.10/5.04/5.10 that install in text mode and resize it in that....

S

sariq

i was also confused during installation the percentage you select is not alloted to ubuntu, it is saved for further use. so if you select 100% means no space is alloted to ubuntu.
in my case i was having 32GB partition. i entered 24GB - this means ubuntu was installed in partiontion of size 8 GB. 24 GB was left for further use.

OP
S

saigalp

Broken In
Chester said:
you must have created atleast 3 gb partition, 2gb is the bare minimum.

i think frm next time you should resize the partition in wondows itself with some partitioning software like partition magic, paragon disk mananger.

i did it with acronis partition expert.

I don't know much about partitioning. Should I uninstall ubuntu and then create partitions using Partition Manager? Previously I had tried using the manual partition route and I got an error. Instead of taking chances and losing my Win Partitions and data I chose this option of automatic partitioning. Please guide what partitions to create and what sizes.

I am enclosingoutput/ herewith the screenshot of the df -h command:Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3 2.1G 2.0G 13M 100% /
varrun 244M 92K 244M 1% /var/run
varlock 244M 4.0K 244M 1% /var/lock
udev 244M 132K 244M 1% /dev
devshm 244M 0 244M 0% /dev/shm
lrm 244M 19M 226M 8% /lib/modules/2.6.15-23-386/volatilepramod@pramod-desktop:~$

the output of df -h command is as under:Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3 2.1G 2.0G 13M 100% /
varrun 244M 92K 244M 1% /var/run
varlock 244M 4.0K 244M 1% /var/lock
udev 244M 132K 244M 1% /dev
devshm 244M 0 244M 0% /dev/shm
lrm 244M 19M 226M 8% /lib/modules/2.6.15-23-386/volatilepramod@pramod-desktop:~$

Last edited:

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
i think you should reinstall, i also have a 80 gb hd

what i had was all partitions nfts so i resized the last ntfs partition in way that 8 gb was left free and unpartitioned.
then i installed ubuntu with "/" partition = 7 gb and swap = 600 mb

my main fear was also loosing the data and i didn't loose any data, its been a week and everything working pretty cool.

so the main thing i did was resizing the partition and freeing up space in windows and let ubuntu installer create its / and swap partitions.

hope that helps
btw, i'm not an experienced a linux user, its been just a week
rest tech_your_future bro can always help you hahaha

check my topic for reference, maybe that can help more
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36296

praka123

left this forum longback
saigal,as u can see `/` is full and a meagre 2.1G and a free space of only 13MB!.one option is to use gparted live cd or knoppix live having qtparted and resize the `/`(ie;/dev/hda3) partn if any free space is available.
*gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
if u have partitions after /dev/hda3 try moving those partns to the right (free space);i bet is better for u to have a reinstall rather.......also make sure u have enough free space ~5-6GB Min

Last edited:
OP
S

saigalp

Broken In
Thanks for your help. I will try resizing with partition manager and if it doesn't work I will reinstall. One more thing- do I have to delete an existing partition and leave unpartitioned space or will the installer use the existing fat 32 partition to install? I am confused on this part. please reply.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Saigalp, You need to allocate 8 GB for root('/') & 1.5 GB for swap. The installer won't
use the existing FAT32 partition!! You need atleast 10 GB unpartitioned space for
Linux. Keep that in mind. Out of that 10 GB , allocate 8 GB for root & 1.5 for swap.
You may need to resize or delete one of the Windows partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom