Ubuntu Help: Loading Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Ive just installed ubuntu along wit xp sp2 as 2nd os in d drive....it loads but hangs at loading "hotplug"....ne idea abt this one plz
thanx

cheers

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
open a terminal

sudo -s
enter your password
vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

There go to the line that says
title Ubuntu,kernel blah blah...

Add nohotplug
quiet splash nohotplug

Tell me if it works or not.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
vignesh said:
open a terminal

sudo -s
enter your password
vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

There go to the line that says
title Ubuntu,kernel blah blah...

Add nohotplug
quiet splash nohotplug

Tell me if it works or not.
VIgnesh I think he's stuck at that point and can't get beyond it.
So, you can do two things. One is press ctrl + c and continue with the booting process. But, it isn't a good way. Then you can do what vignesh said.
Or when grub loads, highlight the line showing ubuntu linux, press e, select line which starts with kernel and add what vignesh has given at the end of the line and press esc key and then b.

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
no yaar its still d same...everythin just stops responding at "starting hotplug subsystem" after "loading network".... hdd light goes off....ctrl-alt-del does not work...infact restart or turn off r only options...even ctrl-c is not working.

cheers

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Do one think boot into single user mode by adding single to end of kernel parameters in grub itself as tech_future said above and then get into /etc/rc2.d and change the S to K in hotplug it may be anything like S22hotplug make it K22hotplug the number can change its only a priority...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Maybe upgrading to Ubuntu 6.06 will help cos hotplug and ifrename's functions have been removed and assigned to udev.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Ya... thats true.. Lets see what happens.. I use Warty and have no probs.. I like using old software thats not supported anymore and all...

Mohnishgs

powering up
you are supposed to post such questions under the open source section ( not that iam complaining or anything)

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
@ vignesh: k dude trying that too...

@tech_ur_future: ive ordered a copy of ubuntu 6.06 as u said..lets c wen it reaches me...
thanx

cheers

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
well i dun think i can or even if i can i shudnt...why do i need to disable my sound card to run an os...it shud load everythin....but d problems still on....ubuntu 6.06 wud take its time reaching...btw, if theres no other soln can som1 guide me to get back to normal n uninstalling ubuntu w/o disturbing xp sp2

ps: will i get my partition back which wsa used up by linux?
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom