Ubuntu 8.10 final released

Status
Not open for further replies.

sganesh

Journeyman
Which is best linux among these two (Mandriva 9.0 vs Ubuntu 8.10) for

1. Super duper fast browsing through PC files (I have 2 GB RAM)
2. Playing AVI movies with subs
3. Supports logitech Quickcam with Skype
4. Faster D/L speed torrent client
5. CAN SUPPORT PLAYLIST MAKING on Iriver .Currently I make playlist through WMP11..Any alternative in any of these two lnuxes ?

Please tell Mandriva 9.0 or Ubuntu 8.10 for above requirements ?

use ubuntu 8.10
1.Wait for Google chrome for linux (it may release in few weeks)or use FireFox or opera
2.install VLc player for ubuntu for playing .avi files
3.use Skype setup for linux
5.Use SongBird (DIGIT OCT-08 DVD),u can play all mp3 ,maintain playlist etc..
similar to iTunes

Or else Buy Mandriva Powerpack
All features that u ve asked,are present inbuilt,,but cost maters!!!
Mandriva Truely Rocks

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
use ubuntu 8.10
1.Wait for Google chrome for linux (it may release in few weeks)or use FireFox or opera
2.install VLc player for ubuntu for playing .avi files
3.use Skype setup for linux
5.Use SongBird (DIGIT OCT-08 DVD),u can play all mp3 ,maintain playlist etc..
similar to iTunes

Or else Buy Mandriva Powerpack
All features that u ve asked,are present inbuilt,,but cost maters!!!
Mandriva Truely Rocks

Who the hell said you have to buy Mandriva to get things working.. Mandriva support many codecs out of the box. .You don't have to install anything until you want DVD and RM files support... Just get your hands on One edition and everthing will work fine :) If you are newbie better stick to Gnome rather than KDE 4..

Rass

Right off the assembly line
Hello!

I think that Ubuntu 8.10 is great, if compared to the older version. As it offers a lot of enhancements, like LiveCD Installer Updates, live USB disc etc. These links may be of use as well if you want to find out more:
*www.crn.com/software/211800390 *linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=759&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
*www.registrycleanerz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18&p=107#p107

Kind regards!

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Who the hell said you have to buy Mandriva to get things working.. Mandriva support many codecs out of the box. .You don't have to install anything until you want DVD and RM files support... Just get your hands on One edition and everthing will work fine :) If you are newbie better stick to Gnome rather than KDE 4..

I have read smwhere in google that Opensuse 11 supports Logitech :p
also in some blog smbdy had compared OS11 vs Ubuntu 8.04 and he says OS truly rocks..I have already tried Ubuntu 8.04 ..Now let me get my hands on OS11 :D

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Now my finger is itching to hit the Burn Disk buton :D .. before that I have to find a blank CD :lol:

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
yes. that's true. ubuntu 8.04 is lot better when compared to opensuse 11
:confused::confused::confused: ,,arre yaar I have clearly written that

OPEN SUSE 11 IM GNG toTRY cuz its much better than UBUNTU..why u had understood the other way :(

OPEN SUSE11 > UBUNTU 8.04 how many ppl agree ?

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Check Mandriva 2009.0 Review *www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/mandriva-linux-2009-0-review-mixed-121553.html

j_h

Banned
Mandriva 2009 sucked big time for me. I downloaded it as soon as it got released. It is a good OS , I loved the sound driver included but it listed rp-pppoe package as unrequired so i was not able to setup pppoe. I even tried to install everything and not use the remove unrequired packages option (which you will see when you install using the live CD) , but still no luck. I searched the internet and found that it was a bug which had no solution.
So, I uninstalled Mandriva. I could have downloaded that package from somewhere else and got the distro working but after using ubuntu for a couple of years, I am so in love with ubuntu that I dont WANT to use any other distro. apt-get install or aptitude install is just too difficult to live without.
And besides, mandriva uses KDE4.1 which has a lot of bugs. I will wait till at least 4.2 before throwing away 3.5.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Re: Ubuntu 8.10 final released, APTONCD bug

Hi
Have been having hell trying to compile offline ISOs using AptOnCD. The default package, aptoncd_0.1.98-0ubuntu3_all.deb, is faulty, it crashes midway.

BUG: *bugs.launchpad.net/aptoncd/+bug/272509

SOLUTION: Download aptoncd_0.1.98-0ubuntu4_all.deb from here
*www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bugs@lists.ubuntu.com/msg1070949.html

or

*www.mediafire.com/?wgzmg2nxfli
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia packages for offline installs added, includes kernel fix. Only six packages extra for default system upgrade so I made a single ISO this time.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=979943#46

Will be starting a new thread for 8.10 shortly :)

Last edited:

chandru.in

In the zone
Did a clean install and love it.

There was a minor problem though. I used to install all previous versions directly from hard-disk without wasting a CD as I have never ever needed the CD again after first install. But due to a bug mentioned in Release Notes Ubiquity fails to show the disks for partitioning if already mounted. So had to burn a CD. :(

Hrithan2020

In the zone
I unfortunately can't install Ubuntu for now. When i bought a new hard disk, i chose dynamic partition.(proprietary windows format).Hence,can't install on my HD :(

Any method to solve this problem w/o formatting the entire hd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom