Ubuntu 8.10 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/files/18774_1pfdf/Ubuntu%20Logo.png

Ubuntu 8.10 Released

The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop and Server, continuing Ubuntu's tradition of integrating the latest and greatest open source technologies into a high-quality, easy-to-use Linux distribution. New Features since Ubuntu 8.04 LTS: GNOME 2.24; X.Org 7.4; Linux kernel 2.6.27; encrypted private directory; guest session; Network Manager 0.7; Samba 3.2; PAM authentication framework; Totem BBC plugin; server virtualization; Ubuntu as a Xen guest; JeOS is now an option in the server installer; notable inclusion in the main repository - Sun's Java OpenJDK 1.6, Apache's Tomcat 6, ClamAV, SpamAssassin; boot degraded RAID setting.

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/large/25346_trgcg/Ubuntu-8-10-Released-2.jpg

Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop and Server. Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition delivers the features you need for an increasingly mobile digital life, including 3G wireless support and guest sessions that lets users temporarily share computers without compromising security. Ubuntu 8.10 Server consolidates its support for virtualization with an integrated virtual machine builder, and brings with it a fully-supported Java stack and support for per-user directory encryption.

Features : -
  1. Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3
  2. OpenOffice.org 2.4.1
  3. The GIMP 2.6.1
  4. F-Spot 0.4.4
  5. Pidgin 2.5.1
  6. Brasero 0.8.2
  7. Transmission 1.34
  8. Rhythmbox 0.11.6
  9. Ekiga 3.0
  10. Evolution 2.24.1
  11. Nautilus 2.24.1
  12. Vinagre 2.24.1
Those who have ordered the Live CD from *shipit.ubuntu.com/ get ready to be amazed as Ubuntu and Kubuntu this time has great cover , Though I am not sure about CD Label

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/25344_l5lcw/810_kubuntu_shad.jpg *www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/25345_qzmfv/810_ubuntu_shad.jpg
Ubuntu Feature Tour : Desktop : Features | Ubuntu Desktop Edition | Server : Ubuntu Server Edition | Ubuntu

Ubuntu Home Page : Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu | *blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid

Announcement : *lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2008-October/000116.html | 8.10 Release Notes | Ubuntu

Download Links : Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu | *shipit.ubuntu.com/

Last edited:
OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Ubuntu 8.01 Alpha 4 released Check the 1'st post for more info ;) Damn Canonical doing a lot of hard work on Ubuntu. .Guest account and all. I just hope they make a good theme with nice wallpaper :p

Here is a list of Mock Ups for Intrepid 5 + 1 beautiful designs for Ubuntu 8.10 “Intrepid Ibex” | Fabrizio Balliano

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Ubuntu should concentrate more on its looks without overlooking features. And to be honest, I am waiting for Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.2. :)

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Huh KDE 4.2 will be in Jan I guess.. So forget abot 4.2 in Intrepid ;)

KDE 4.1 is a huge step forward in the KDE4 series and hopefully sets the pace for future development. KDE 4.2 can be expected in January 2009.

*www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/

F

FilledVoid

Although I like Ubuntu and started my actual Linux use with it I think that either I outgrew it or probably I don't enjoy the features anymore. Primarily I see it growing in size and becoming more of a bloat ware than the once faster and speedy OS that I used. Although then again it might just being my computer getting crappier by the day. When I see an actual review which emphasizes its speed and performance I might consider going back. otherwise I'm quite happy with Arch Linux.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Arch is fast, but for a system with 1GB RAM and decent processor it doesnt make much difference except when you are installing the packages.

To me Ubuntu 8.04 is faster the earlier 7.x release. My HDD went kaput so Arch has gone too and now am on Ubuntu, found no significant difference.

F

FilledVoid

Arch is fast, but for a system with 1GB RAM and decent processor it doesnt make much difference except when you are installing the packages.

The old systems I have Arch and Ubuntu installed on beg to differ. Anyway this goes beyond the point of the thread and Ill stay away from it.

F

FilledVoid

We had also repeated many of these tests to confirm we were not experiencing a performance fluke or other issue (even though the Phoronix Test Suite carries out each test in a completely automated and repeatable fashion) but nothing had changed. Ubuntu 7.04 was certainly the Feisty Fawn for performance, but based upon these results perhaps it would be better to call Ubuntu 7.10 the Gooey Gibbon, 8.04 the Hungover Heron, and 8.10 the Idling Ibex.
From the Link gary posted.

die you distro fanboy!
Good come back. You fail at logical discussion.

Although I like Ubuntu and started my actual Linux use with it I think that either I outgrew it or probably I don't enjoy the features anymore. Primarily I see it growing in size and becoming more of a bloat ware than the once faster and speedy OS that I used. Although then again it might just being my computer getting crappier by the day. When I see an actual review which emphasizes its speed and performance I might
consider going back. otherwise I'm quite happy with Arch Linux.

My experiences are exactly the same, but I never exactly "outgrew" ubuntu. I just migrated to arch for getting a speedier distro to use.

Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

Once upon a time, back in the 5.10 days, I remember reading about it as a fast and easy to use debian derivative. Today, neither is it fast nor is it compatible with standard debian .deb packages. Also gone are the days when Ubuntu was suggested as the OS to install if your system was slow to run windows - ubuntu could easily run with gnome installed on a 128mb ram system, but now its much much heavier than windows XP.

Ubuntu 7.04 was indeed my FIRST distro, and I can easily vouch for the fact that I noticed a HUGE performance decrease when I migrated to 8.04.

The old systems I have Arch and Ubuntu installed on beg to differ. Anyway this goes beyond the point of the thread and Ill stay away from it.

Well, I can open 10 tabs in firefox, play a song on VLC Media Player and browse files at the same time on my ancient rig running archlinux. Compared to this, Ubuntu 8.04 was the exact opposite. I could open nautilus and audacious and that was it.

[offtopic]
Whats there to laugh at ? And what is the last line in your siggy ?
[/offtopic]

Ontopic: Is it worth trying 8.10 ? How is it compared to 8.04 ? I am out of CDs, so I can't burn my ISO today, since I am to lazy to go out and get a disc... does unetbootin support it yet, so that I can install in my pendrive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom