Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Release Scheduled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/pfiles/1648/Ubuntu-8-04-a-k-a-Hardy-Heron-2.pngUbuntu is a Linux distribution for your desktop or server, with a fast and easy install, regular releases, a tight selection of excellent packages installed by default, every other package you can imagine available from the network and professional technical support from Canonical Ltd and hundreds of other companies around the world.

There are exactly 30 days (1 month) left until Gutsy (Ubuntu 7.10) is released, a version that everyone is waiting for, but today you'll be informed about the release dates of Ubuntu 8.04, codename Hardy Heron. Officially announced on 29th August 2007, Ubuntu 8.04 operating system is scheduled to be released somewhere at the end of April 2008 and the important part is that it will be supported with security updates for 5 years on the server and 3 years on the desktop. So, without any further introduction, here's the anticipated release schedule:

• 29 November 2007 - Alpha 1 release
  • 20 December 2007 - Alpha 2 release
  • 10 January 2008 - Alpha 3 release
  • 31 January 2008 - Alpha 4 release
  • 21 February 2008 - Alpha 5 release
  • 6 March 2008 - Alpha 6 release
  • 27 March 2008 - Beta release
  • 17 April 2008 - Release Candidate
  • 24 April 2008 - Final release of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
"Each new release gives us all an opportunity to shine, irrespective of which bricks in the project we are laying, and this is at the heart of our belief — working together to produce an operating system that will empower its users and shape the IT industry, putting free software at the cornerstone of our direction. [...]
Thousands of us get out of bed every day, united behind Ubuntu, ready to make a difference, working together to make our vision happen. Importantly, our ethos of collaboration and freedom extends to the development process as well as the end product." - says Jono Bacon about Ubuntu 8.04.

Source:- *wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyReleaseSchedule

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^^^
as this a LTS there will be no experimentation & all safe package will be there on
i think

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Sashwat, if you're really interested in reporting on OSS. You can join some weekly newsletter team for your favourite project/distro. Many of them send weekly newsletter to the subscribers. I believe debian and ubuntu have such weekly newsletter for one. That can keep you not only in touch with the latest happenings with that project, but also get you in touch with the devs and get you familiar with OSS community's communications methods like IRC's, mailing lists and such.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Shashwat Pant said:
Thanks bro.. more info how can I join then :p
Ubuntu
*lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-news
Just join that list for now to understand about mailing lists, if you've never joined one before. The procedure on joining the team should be available in the posts.
Ah here's a quote from one of the mails
If you'd like to contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page.
Check *wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter
Fedora
*fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join#ContentWriter
Specifically, *fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject

Openoffice
*marketing.openoffice.org/

Also, mention about your areas of interest, I can check around if they have anything that you can contribute to, then it's upto you to decide.
Also, if you're interested, we can resurrect our site freeme.in and add a blog for you(or anyone else who's interested) to post news.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom