Ubuntu 6.10 desktop-->HELP !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshaykapoor_3

Journeyman
hi guyz , today morning i downloaded Live CD of ubuntu 6.10 for desktop pc..
burnd d disk and made a boot ..

I hav no working knowledge of Ubuntu...just tried it up coz i need to practice some unix commands on my pc. was told by a friend that i could do dat using this live cd thing.. yes i did find it workin but my pc was damn slow and ultimately i had no other option left than jst manually restartin my pc..

So my questions are that why was it running dat slow ...may be my computer configuration was not suff.

P3 1GHz
128 MB RAM
40 GB HDD
C:-->13.3 GB, free -->1.97 GB
D:-->12 GB free---> 2,26 GB
E:--->12 GB free---->460 MB

that would help you out with my pc's configuration..

it took around 10 mins for the ubuntu screen to show up ... nd den what i cud see was just two folders..one "examples" and d oder 1 was i think "install"

where do i practice my commands after dat ???

Is ther any other option left with me to practice the commands on some other application which would be light enugh to run fast??..

Please do help me with these queries ASAP...

Thanks in advance..

Akshay !

T

titun

I have only used UBUNTU once, so try to find out console icon under the programs list. Thats where you type and practise commands. live CDs run using your PC memory, so they run slower than the installed OS. And ur RAM is also less.

And asking linux queries in Open Source section gives best answers. :)

OP
akshaykapoor_3

akshaykapoor_3

Journeyman
Ubuntu 6.10--->HELP

hi guyz , today morning i downloaded Live CD of ubuntu 6.10 for desktop pc..
burnd d disk and made a boot ..

I hav no working knowledge of Ubuntu...just tried it up coz i need to practice some unix commands on my pc. was told by a friend that i could do dat using this live cd thing.. yes i did find it workin but my pc was damn slow and ultimately i had no other option left than jst manually restartin my pc..

So my questions are that why was it running dat slow ...may be my computer configuration was not suff.

P3 1GHz
128 MB RAM
40 GB HDD
C:-->13.3 GB, free -->1.97 GB
D:-->12 GB free---> 2,26 GB
E:--->12 GB free---->460 MB

that would help you out with my pc's configuration..

it took around 10 mins for the ubuntu screen to show up ... nd den what i cud see was just two folders..one "examples" and d oder 1 was i think "install"

where do i practice my commands after dat ???

Is ther any other option left with me to practice the commands on some other application which would be light enugh to run fast??..

Please do help me with these queries ASAP...

Thanks in advance..!

mediator

Technomancer
Re: Ubuntu 6.10--->HELP

Since its a live CD it can't run properly until and unless u have adequate amount of RAM. U have 128 and its very less!
SO u can work from live cd, but it will be very slow. "INstall" is to install Ubuntu on hardisk. U may wanna that and may like to continue keeping it on hdd foreva! Other options is to get damn small linux, but I dunno if it has all the relevant commands.
So do u wanna install ubuntu?

OP
akshaykapoor_3

akshaykapoor_3

Journeyman
Re: Ubuntu 6.10--->HELP

mediator said:
Since its a live CD it can't run properly until and unless u have adequate amount of RAM. U have 128 and its very less!
SO u can work from live cd, but it will be very slow. "INstall" is to install Ubuntu on hardisk. U may wanna that and may like to continue keeping it on hdd foreva! Other options is to get damn small linux, but I dunno if it has all the relevant commands.
So do u wanna install ubuntu?

thanks fr takin sm time to reply buddy !

seeing my configuration do u think dat it wud be wise to install ubuntu??...coz m unaware f d system requirements fr dat...if it wud work fine, m ready to go fr it

OP
akshaykapoor_3

akshaykapoor_3

Journeyman
@tech_your_future

thanks a lot buddy...i tried up xubuntu nd my probs solved..

cud u guyz please help me wid anoder prob..

where do i get my super user password f d cd from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom