Two gpus in a system with one gpu's power disconnected

rjt

Broken In
Hope this thread is in the right place.
Consider this system with a modular PSU, Quadro GPU and GeForce GTX GPU
There is a Windows 7 OS SSD. There are two HDDs one with a quadro driver and CAD softwares (call it CAD HDD) and another HDD (call it gaming HDD) with a GTX driver and games.
Assume that all power connections and interfaces are connected.
I now want to work on CAD so I will disconnect the power supply of the GTX gpu and the gaming HDD while leaving the gtx gpu in thePCI 3.0 x16 slot and sata connection of the gaming hdd untouched.
Will anything bad happen to the gtx gpu and the gaming hdd ?

tkin

Back to school!!
Well I have a crazy idea, its crazy and I will no way be held responsible for any damage:

1. Power up both cards, now disable quadro via device manager on gaming hdd(boot into OS), disable gtx the same way on the cad hdd.
2. Voila, if you have two monitors for both the gpus then all you need to do is boot into any hdd and use the monitor for it, no need to disconnect the power cables, if one monitor then change the video cable to the appropriate gpu when system is shut down to boot into another.
3. Do no disconnect the power cable to card as it still gets power from PCIe slot and no idea what continuous low power would do to the card, instead keep it at full power, it can handle it(not sure if you would be able to handle the electricity bills though).

PS: This is where Tesla cards come in, its like a co processor and has no display output, no idea if tesla works with autocad.

OP
R

rjt

Broken In
The GPU will still draw power from the PCIe slot.

will it damage the gpu or the hdd?

Well I have a crazy idea, its crazy and I will no way be held responsible for any damage:

1. Power up both cards, now disable quadro via device manager on gaming hdd(boot into OS), disable gtx the same way on the cad hdd.
2. Voila, if you have two monitors for both the gpus then all you need to do is boot into any hdd and use the monitor for it, no need to disconnect the power cables, if one monitor then change the video cable to the appropriate gpu when system is shut down to boot into another.
3. Do no disconnect the power cable to card as it still gets power from PCIe slot and no idea what continuous low power would do to the card, instead keep it at full power, it can handle it(not sure if you would be able to handle the electricity bills though).

PS: This is where Tesla cards come in, its like a co processor and has no display output, no idea if tesla works with autocad.

Tesla is optimised for mathematical calculations as Nvidia says.

Top Bottom