Two Files of same name at same place

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitun

Broken In
Can someone have a explanation for this.

*i2.tinypic.com/qqv79x.jpg

Both the Winamp shortcuts are off 460 bytes Size on disk 8 kb.And this is 100% real.So please don't say it is psed.2 days ago i installed the new version of Winamp 5.12 but uninstalled it and again reinstalled 5.01 on the same directory as the newer verson have a bug(Winamp crashes when turning on equalizer on a 1500kbps 48Khz sound stream).But after the installation finished i saw two shortcuts to Winamp on my desktop.Both of them having the same location for winamp.Can someone explain this?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
The reason is:

Whenever u create a shortcut of ne file on desktop and if a shortcut is already there with the same name, then windows append (2), (3), .... in the file extension.

And since u hv enabled the option of "Hide file extensions of known file type" in FOLDER OPTIONS, its not displaying the extensions.

Actually those 2 winamp files hv different file extensions!

1 is "winamp.exe" and other is "winamp.exe(2)".

the pic is good....xp messes up sometimes.

try this:
first enable the manual blue-screen hotkey.
create a new shortcut in desktop using the wizard.
click browse to select some file, before clicking ok, do the bsod trick.

restart your comp and theres a "New Shortcut" on your desktop pointing nowhere...lol

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@dheeraj_kumar, can u please explain what is the hotkey of manual blue screen and how to do the trick with it?

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Just delete a shortcut ..... it'd be fine anyway ....

Two shorcuts can exist together as their metadata is always different ....

OP
J

jitun

Broken In
Ok I FOUND the explaination myself.One shortcut is of te admin and the other if of all user so window is showing both of them on the admin's desktop.But the desktop folder of admin and all user have only one such file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom