TUTORIAL: Make Your Windows XP look-a-like Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

shyamno

Ambassador of Buzz
Can anyone make me clear that when does the login screen appear..what I know was that it must appear after the Welcome screen when booting..in the OS...

but in my case even the welcome screen is not comming..the windows XP logo appears and then it goes directly into the desktop..

Does I have to change any settings..I have tried changing the way users log in through Control Panel.

I have applied the Vista login Screen through Login Studio..but nothing happened ...only when I login to other account from an already logged in user..(fast user switching) then only the screen appear it gives me the choice to two account....

But also it must give the same choice when booting in..What's the problem..please help me..

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
@infra_red_dude
U can try "Basic" style of this theme. :)

@shyamno
Its happening bcoz ur windows is set to not ask the password at login time. Type following in RUN dialog box:

control userpasswords2

and enable the option "Users must enter usernames and passwords to use this computer". Also make sure that u hv set a password for ur account.

shyamno

Ambassador of Buzz
Vishal Gupta said:
@infra_red_dude
U can try "Basic" style of this theme. :)

@shyamno
Its happening bcoz ur windows is set to not ask the password at login time. Type following in RUN dialog box:

control userpasswords2

and enable the option "Users must enter usernames and passwords to use this computer". Also make sure that u hv set a password for ur account.

After doing this would I be able to see the Vista login Screen..provided in ur tutorial.

madmoody

Broken In
Hey Vishal What good work yaar!!!
round of applause for u..awesome work dude
but im facing 2 problems

1.I am not able to save the changes made in Res Hacker
it gives an error saying "Cannot create file C:windows\expolrer.exe"
i have disabled WFP using th WFP patcher But it is still giving the error.

2.I am not able to give xp style to the back,forward,up buttons using styler
although the styler shows default as well as the vista toolbar.whenevr i double click on the latter the toolbar appears only in IE that on the right side lapped over the default one .

Please gimme some suggestions

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
thnx for ur comments. :)

1.) Save the edited file at some other location and then use "Replacer" to replace original file in "Windows" folder with ur edited one. U can find replacer here:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30897

2.) Right-click on the toolbar in explorer and enable "Styler". Now it should show the Vista toolbar icons. and first unlock the toolbars and then u can arrange the toolbars acc. to ur requirements. U can also hide unwanted toolbars from it.

madmoody

Broken In
hey vishal i have some problem usinf repalcer?????
first i ll have to drop the original file from the windows folder into the replacer window right!!!but where'll i get the addresss for the original file to be repaced??????help me out

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
madmoody said:
hey vishal i have some problem usinf repalcer?????
first i ll have to drop the original file from the windows folder into the replacer window right!!!but where'll i get the addresss for the original file to be repaced??????help me out

Hey buddy...
it's simple.......
Double click on Replacer
A window wil open
Press Alt+Enter.So that the window size will be reduced
Now,For example u want to replace the shell32 file......
then Go To c:\windows\system32\
Select the shell32 file
drag it to the REPLACER window........
The Press Enter..........
Now it will ask for the duplicate file( the file which is modified by u)
As abbove drag that modified file and press enter or ......
Then reboot ur Pc

Caution Playing with registry is harmful...so tk a bavkup before............

madmoody

Broken In
Ron Do i have to save the modified file as "shell32.dll" in case i am modifying this window file.And is there any permanent solution to this cause a lot of things have to be done using "Res Hacker".Anyways it was working 5 days ago it was not giving me any error while saving but all of a sudden it is giving me error.

iceeeeman

Journeyman
can any one tel me how to make the progres bar vertical!!!!!!!!!!!and how to create a partion in NTFS without formatting????????/ plz

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^
1. Edit "Shell32.dll" file in resource hacker and goto:

Dialog -> 1020 -> 1033

and in this dialog box, u can change location/size/etc of the progress bar acc. to ur desire.

2. U can use convert command, which will convert FAT32 partition into NTFS without formatting it.

crazy_sumi

Broken In
hey dude.... awesome tut..
why am i not surprised that this tut comes from vishal, who is the master of registry and resource hacking??
keep up the good work now....

ClickyMouse

Right off the assembly line
Man! This tutorial is excellent!
Thanks!
But I have two problems:
1) When I edit the ShutDown Menu, I save it, but I doesn't change, what can I do?
2) I also have this problem with the start menu:

*img137.imageshack.us/img137/2973/problemct9.th.png

A little part of the elements at the menu (showed with the red vertical line) doesn't show, how can I fix it? (With ResHack or anything else)

Thank you!

*EDIT*: I've fixed up myself, the problem was that I installed Aero 48 instead of Aero 32. I've chose Aero 32, and now everything is fixed.

But I have another problem, I've changed several times the Removable drives icons, but they don't change, they still the same. What can I do?

*img135.imageshack.us/img135/5371/dvdcdxm7.th.png

I also have problems with the Boot Screen, the little green loading bars apears aout of the horizontal bar, and sometimes that border (that shoul be gray) is pink...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom