TUTORIAL: Change Look-n-Feel of Windows XP Start Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreams

Gracias Senor
Hi Vishal Genius..

Its really gr8 to hv u in this forum workin for us..all the tuts are goood...

I d/l the visual style frm deviant art and it doesnt seem to work 4 me..i dbl clikd on msstyles and nothin happens..also i copied the whole folder to themes folder..stil nothin..also i hv patched the UXtheme also..

any other tricks??

TIA

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Thats strange. Which theme did u d/l from DeviantArt?
Try to patch uxtheme.dll again in safe mode and also d/l the theme file again or try with some other themes.

dreams

Gracias Senor
I d/l ur Vista VG styles..not only this time..for loooong bac too i am not able to apply any themes like these..so i mostly prefer windowblinds..but the WB5 version didnt work for me perfectly so jus searchin for any simple methods like the one u hv posted..

Also i hv a quick qn.. i hv a screensaver frm a vista computer..i copied the .scr file and kept the file in system folder..this too not showin in the screesavers dropdown??

any guesses??

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Pls try to patch the uxtheme.dll file again in Safe Mode using the patcher mentioned by me in following thread:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30897

Also try to d/l the latest VistaVG RTM theme.

Regarding to screensaver, it'll not work in XP until u patch it. ;)

dreams

Gracias Senor
I d/l the patcher frm ur post only..wil try it to apply once again..and reg the scrsaver u told it cant work without patching..which means??

I hv one more critical qn 4 u!!!

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Vista applications, screensavers, etc don't work in XP. U'll get "Invalid Win32 application" like error. But there r softwares available which can patch them so that u can use them in Vista. Like u can use Vista Sidebar, mspaint, calculator, screensavers, games, etc in XP. One such software is VAIO Pack. Just google for it and u'll know what I'm talking about. ;)

dreams

Gracias Senor
finally i made it to work..again ran theme patcher..nw i got ur style workin..its really awesome..

and reg the scrsaver i jus got it thru an vista transformation pack..when i installed it it came wit some cool scrsavers..i jus copied the scrsaver and want it to knw hw to show the scr saver in the scrsaver tab..

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Glad to know u got it working. ;)

Reg. to Screensaver, copy them to "%windir%\System32\" folder and it should work. :)

dreams

Gracias Senor
Vishal Gupta said:
Glad to know u got it working. ;)

Reg. to Screensaver, copy them to "%windir%\System32\" folder and it should work. :)

Stil no go..also i hv loads of scrsavers shown in the dropdown menu in scrsavers tab..some of them doesnt seems to work..somewhr sumthin is corrupt..

ramprasad

In the zone
vishal,
I want to change only the start button from the normal one to a round one.

I cam across a software, which just overlays on top of it. but I need to make it rather permanent...

Can u ls help

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ For it u hv to edit the Windows theme (msstyles file) in Resource Hacker.
What u need is, just replace the Start Button BITMAP from ur customized BITMAP.

ramprasad

In the zone
exactly.....
but I have a normal start button now....
If I just replace it, then can get as shown in that screenshot or do I have to edit the task bar also...?

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
The link I posted above contains my "VistaVG RTM" theme. It'll change ur XP theme to Vista theme and u'll get the exact startmenu and taskbar as shown in the screenshot. ;)

ramprasad

In the zone
VIshal,

I am not able to extract the Start menu bitmap from ur style..
I am not able to locate the bitmap itself

Hope u dont mind helping me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom