TUTORIAL: Change Look-n-Feel of Windows XP Start Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Abhishek Dwivedi said:
hey vishal grt job...need a lil help...i tried replacing all programs but couldnt...can u post the reg file to do so...plzz....and aslo where cani change the name of recycle bin...del MY PICTURE & MY MUSIC folder...plzz tell....
thnx buddy, Its my pleasure that u liked it. ;)

I hv attached the REG file, which will do the following points automatically:

5. (a.) Disable "All Programs" option from Start menu
5. (b.) Change "Favorites" path to "Programs" folder

NOTE: I'm assuming that u hv Windows installed on C: Drive, if its installed on some other partition, then simply change C: to that drive letter in the file.

To change the name of Recycle Bin, just goto:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder

and in right-side pane, change value of Attributes to 50 01 00 20. After applying this trick, u can rename the Recycle Bin. ;)

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
that worked...lol....well i just got a cool new virus in ma PC...well i was just trying to FTP a site and got it...nevermind....the problem is that this virus has
done this:

1. when i open cmd.exe ...windows restart
2. Regedit.exe is banned...well no problems in that...i can edit regestry though registry editor
3. flocked folder option
4.there a a few stupid files with a icon of a folder at C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data
i wana delete them...used UNLOCKER...tune up...didnt work...i dont wana user anti virus...can u help a lil...thatnx buddy....

Chetan1991

Youngling
It,s really a good one!:)!and the visual style made by you is really awesome.Is there any way we can enlarge the icon in windows like in Vista??

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Nice tut Vishal.
Does VistaVG =VistaVishalGupta
Vishal Gupta said:
5.) And this one is my favorite trick.
I use this trick to remove "All Programs" menu from Start menu bcoz it doesnt look decent and manytimes it gets automatically selected while selecting other entries in Start menu. So I change "Favorites" path to "Programs" folder, so that we can access our program shortcuts. So just follow these steps:
So true

MR.MOUSTACHE

THE SIMPLE MAN
This Is The Place .... That I Have Beem Looking For.... All This Time..... Vish U Are The Best...... Keep It Up ........ One Suggestion ...... Why Dont U Start A Forum Related To Hacking The Windows ..... And Stuffs.... It Will Be An Learning Experince....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hey vishal i need some help. the buttons on the shutdown dialog are a bit displaced. i edited the msgina.dll and moved the buttons down by 2 units (47), saved and replaced the orginal file wid replacer. but it doesn't help. the layout didn't change. here is the image:

*img145.imageshack.us/img145/3626/shutdownlw6.th.jpg

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
I think it will be just easier to do all this stuff by regeditting CLSIDs of the Start Menu shortcuts instead of modding shell32.dll Infact all the text infos and icon/bitmap locations can be changed. I know its tedious but is less of a memory hog because the registry loads all such modded files into memory.
A modded file esp. if its shell32.dll which has less than optimal size can affect performance esp. if you load the shell into RAM. That is why all those transformation packs do slowdown your computer. I will post my regedits soon :D Or may be @VG can help us out.

iceeeeman

Journeyman
dude can u help me in this
*img440.imageshack.us/img440/2690/startmenuhy9.jpg

how to expand da control panel n rename it,,i mean how to get the small arrow so tht when when put da mouse cursor on tht it wil expand..n how to change the log off and turn off computer text in the start menuu..PLZ HELP

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
To expand "Control Panel", there is an option for it in "Start menu & taskbar `Properties". And regarding to changing names, u can look into "Explorer.exe" file. :)

poorlyduck

Broken In
Vishal you are genius, we should call you Vishall gate :)
I have one little question, when you change the strings do you keep the & between the letters or it doesnt matter for example:
7012, "|Undock Comput&er|&Log Off|T&urn Off Computer|D&isconnect||"
7013, "|Undock Comput&er|&Log Off|Sh&ut Down|D&isconnect||"
how you will change that?
thank you very much, I was starting to making skin for PDA's but when I found out about this great stuff you post here I forgot about everything and Im more playing with windows xp now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom