try-outs - dead HDD

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I have a very old (> 10 yrs old) & dead 20 GB HDD that that I am about to throw away now. I however decided to open it and see if I can remove the disks / platters before throwing it away.

As I inspect the opened HDD, when connected (using external HDD case) the disk rotates for a few seconds and then completely stops.

Is there anything that can still be done to revive it? This is just out of my DIY interest before actually throwing it away..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you have opened the hdd then it is already useless.there is a reason why data recovery/processor manufacturing plants have air tight sealed room where workers wear protective suit(kinda like those bio labs in scifi movies like resident evil).the reason being that even a single speck of dust can corrupt a processor/hdd platter.by now your hdd platter surface has probably millions of dust specs.

tkin

Back to school!!
I have a very old (> 10 yrs old) & dead 20 GB HDD that that I am about to throw away now. I however decided to open it and see if I can remove the disks / platters before throwing it away.

As I inspect the opened HDD, when connected (using external HDD case) the disk rotates for a few seconds and then completely stops.

Is there anything that can still be done to revive it? This is just out of my DIY interest before actually throwing it away..
The read/write head hangs a few nanometers above the platters, so even a spec of dust can damage them, hence the hdd is useless now.

Top Bottom