Status
Not open for further replies.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
For a more detailed understanding in simple language get this :
*www.amazon.com/BitTorrent-Dummies-Susannah-Gardner/dp/076459981X

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
ok guys, so i have read abt the terminology (on the first page) and im new to this torrent stuff..

So here it goes,
I d/loaded utorrents > Searched for a torrent file > Saved it onto my HDD (desktop) > Double clicked on it and uTorrent started > I get a d/load speed of 5-6 Kbps (kilo bits) and an upload speed of 25 Kbps (kilo bits)

SO wats the matter with such pathetic d/load speeds?? Can u gujys help/enlighten me !!

I am on a MTNL Triband DSL 849 NU (night unlimited) plan, wen i d/load from RS, i get a /load speed of 50-60 Kbps, so Y such slow speeds in Torrents??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, if i have a game, and i want ppl to d/load it, wat are the steps tat i shud be following ?? (so as to make myself a seeder)
Cheers n e-peace...

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
ok guys, so i have read abt the terminology (on the first page) and im new to this torrent stuff..

So here it goes,
I d/loaded utorrents > Searched for a torrent file > Saved it onto my HDD (desktop) > Double clicked on it and uTorrent started > I get a d/load speed of 5-6 Kbps (kilo bits) and an upload speed of 25 Kbps (kilo bits)

SO wats the matter with such pathetic d/load speeds?? Can u gujys help/enlighten me !!

I am on a MTNL Triband DSL 849 NU (night unlimited) plan, wen i d/load from RS, i get a /load speed of 50-60 Kbps, so Y such slow speeds in Torrents??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, if i have a game, and i want ppl to d/load it, wat are the steps tat i shud be following ?? (so as to make myself a seeder)
Cheers n e-peace...

Hey was the icon green or red in utorrent, may be u need to open some ports and enable UPnP in router.

Btw uploading is simpler just the important step is tracker URL.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey was the icon green or red in utorrent, may be u need to open some ports and enable UPnP in router.

Btw uploading is simpler just the important step is tracker URL.
1.) THe d/loading icon (the downward arrow was BLUE) in uTorrent.
2.) Also, wats the minimum time to wait (if there is any) to get a proper d/load speed ? is it >=30 Mins ??
3.) How can i enable UPnP and/or open open some ports ???

Cheers n e-peace...

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
1.) THe d/loading icon (the downward arrow was BLUE) in uTorrent.
2.) Also, wats the minimum time to wait (if there is any) to get a proper d/load speed ? is it >=30 Mins ??
3.) How can i enable UPnP and/or open open some ports ???

Cheers n e-peace...

1). it should be green(if u are not talking abt the icon next to the name of torrent which is blue while downloading, black on pause, red on some problem ), it seems there is no incoming connections
what firewall u using, try disabling it, if the icon turns green then u need to allow some port to open in firewall setting.

2) its about 1-2 minutes form me. Though always check for the no. of seeders, the more the better. Also read comments before downloading a torrent.

3) type 192.168.1.1 in URL of browser and enter admin/admin for username and pass, and enable UPnP in the router setting. can u tell wat router u use.

4) For better experience user PeerGuardian, it blocks the IPs that sends dummy data and likely to track u down.

*images.snapfiles.com/screenfiles/uTorrent.gif
The icon in the status bar(at the bottom) should be green with a check mark

*www.constanttime.com/products/esb/images/netgear_enable_upnp.gif
there should be setting like this for UPnP

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Guys here is a long list of Querries....

1.) Well, I have a D-Link ADSL Router (model: DSL 502T)

2.) I tried d/loading a game(1.5GB) (edited by myself for the rules of this forum, if any) (Seeders 38, Leechers 4) and the Icon just left of the Torrents name (in uTORRENTS) was blue in color with a downward arrow.

Seeds (21(21), Peers 14(63), D/load-approx 60 kBps (kilo bytes) ,
Up/Load approx 15 kBPS (kilo Bytes), ETA (9 hr 11m), Uploaded 1.45 MB

3.) I guess, its a preety good speed (as long as the Seeders are greater than Leechers)

Btw, wat shud be the ration of seeders to leechers or vice versa (if any)

4.) I also wanted to knw tat how much am i contributing as a seeder (as per the above stats, wich i cannot interpret :( )

5.) Is it true that the amount of Seeders and leechers vary, if i check the same details of a torrent file in a couple of hrs time ??

6.) So, this means there is no fixed amt (availabilit) of seeders and leechers for a particular torrent, (it keeps changing) during the course of d/.loading a file ??

7.) Is there any way by wich i can keep track of the no. of seeders and leechers for a torrent at a particular time (for eg: i saved a torrent file of 16kb in morning on my HDD and if i wish to d/load files via this torrent at night, its but obvious that the amount of Seeders and Leechers may hv increased and/or decreased by night)

so, i guess the best idea wud be --> To search for a torrent file (only at that particular time)when i wish to d/load it then and there itself (by looking at the present stats of S and L), and not leave it (as saved onto my HDD) for future d/loads (if im not willing to d/load the files at that moment)
is it TRUE ?? (i hope u guys got my point) :???: :???:

Cheers n e-peace...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the first post (as a torrent tut) in the heading
HOW TO : Fix # of Connections in XP SP2
this is the extract of a para-->
For point to point sharing - I would set it to 100 which works out to 6000 connections permited per minute.

This does not increase your network speed ... it increases the speed in which you connect to others to ask them to share the file you want.

People who only download 1 file at a time will not notice any improvement.

Can u ppl explain, wat the author means by says this---> People who only download 1 file at a time will not notice any improvement Does that mean ppl who are d/loading one Torrent at a time ???

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ C'on guy, any replies???

Btw,
1.) how can i make sure that peerguardian 2 is NOT blocking the ip address 72.20.34.145 ????

2.) Is it good to have these settings (max uplaod limit=15kBps, max d/load limit=unlimited) so that i get more d/load speeds ?
Cheers n e-peace...

manishjha18

In the zone
how to port forward P-660R-T1 v2 modem from zyxel-portforward.com has no guide for this model P-660R-T1 v2-

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
2.)
Seeds (21(21), Peers 14(63), D/load-approx 60 kBps (kilo bytes) ,
Up/Load approx 15 kBPS (kilo Bytes), ETA (9 hr 11m), Uploaded 1.45 MB
There are 21 Seeder and 63 Peers and are connected to all 21 seeders and 14 Peers.
ETA: The time it will take to complete the download.
Uploaded: Your contribution in sharing that file.

3.) I guess, its a preety good speed (as long as the Seeders are greater than Leechers)
Btw, wat shud be the ration of seeders to leechers or vice versa (if any)
Not always. It also depends on the Seeders upload speed.

4.) I also wanted to knw tat how much am i contributing as a seeder (as per the above stats, wich i cannot interpret :( )
Uploaded: 1.45 MB

5.) Is it true that the amount of Seeders and leechers vary, if i check the same details of a torrent file in a couple of hrs time ??
It depends on the timing of the Seeders and Leechers.

6.) So, this means there is no fixed amt (availabilit) of seeders and leechers for a particular torrent, (it keeps changing) during the course of d/.loading a file ??
Yes. It all depends on the number of Seeders, if the torrent is popular then it might be seeded for a long time.

so, i guess the best idea wud be --> To search for a torrent file (only at that particular time)when i wish to d/load it then and there itself (by looking at the present stats of S and L), and not leave it (as saved onto my HDD) for future d/loads (if im not willing to d/load the files at that moment)
is it TRUE ?? (i hope u guys got my point) :???: :???:
The site itself shows the stats (seeders/peers) at that time. As i told you earlier if it has considarable no of seeders then you can download it at your leisure.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^ Thanx for the reply Rahim :)

By the way, can u guys reply abt this confusion --?

1.) Is it good to have these settings --> (max upload limit set to=15kBps, max d/load limit set to=unlimited) so that i get more d/load speeds ? (in the Options> Preferences> Connections ) of uTORRENT

2.) Is it also good to have the "Randomise-port-each-time-uTORRENT-starts" option (in the Options> Preferences> Connections ) of uTORRENT. Wt advt will i get ?? (presently this option is enabled.

3.) I have a D-link ADSL Router (502-T), where is the option for the UPnP in the site *192.168.1.1 ?

4.) I tried the SPEED Test in options> Speed test of UTORRENT (even though the "Randomise-port-each-time-uTORRENT-starts" option
is enabled) I get this msg every time--->
Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.
A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 19080 on 59.182.17.67...

Error! Port 19080 does not appear to be open
Plz tell wat to do !!

Cheers n e-peace...

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
^^ What is your Speed of the connection.
You can set your upload/download max limit as you mentioned., but to get the highest download speed, it depends on how many Seeders and their upload speed.
Eg: If there is only 1 Seeder with upload speed of 15 kB/s, and your max download speed is 30 KB/s, then you wont get the highest download speed. Increase that seeder to 2 with 15 KB/s each, now you can get 15+15=30 KB/s download Speed:D. This is how it works. More the seeders , higher the speed.
Eg, I have 256 kbps(30 KB/s) BSNL and even if i get 3 or 4 seeds , iget max speed:D
Maybe you should use one port for that rather than random(i use it in Azureus). But i dont know much about that.
Have you created an exception for Windows(assuming) Firewal.
Cannot help you on UPnP:(
I have UTSTAR modem and UPnP is located in Advanced Option.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

Well,
1.) I have a MTNL TRIBAND (DSL 849 Night Unlimited plan) with a speed of 256 kbps upto 2 Mbps (this is wat the plan mentions)

2.) Even if i hv a max of 18-21 Seeds, i still get a speed of mere 19-21 kBps (is this divisible by 8 too ?? taking into account the "B" in "kBps" ??)

According to dslreports.com , my d/laod speed is 464 kbps (So i guess 464/8=58 kBps ) and upload is 186 kbps (so 186/8= 23.25 kBps) ?? am i right !!

3.) My external IP Address is 59.182.105.144. so is this my permanent IP address??

4.) Do u hv any idea abt port forwarding concept ?? i mean how it helps in Torrent d/load speed (if any) !!

Cheers n e-peace...

Last edited:

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
^^

Well,
1.) I have a MTNL TRIBAND (DSL 849 Night Unlimited plan) with a speed of 256 kbps upto 2 Mbps (this is wat the plan mentions)

2.) Even if i hv a max of 18-21 Seeds, i still get a speed of mere 19-21 kBps (is this divisible by 8 too ?? taking into account the "B" in "kBps" ??)

According to dslreports.com , my d/laod speed is 464 kbps (So i guess 464/8=58 kBps ) and upload is 186 kbps (so 186/8= 23.25 kBps) ?? am i right !!

3.) My external IP Address is 59.182.105.144. so is this my permanent IP address??

4.) Do u hv any idea abt port forwarding concept ?? i mean how it helps in Torrent d/load speed (if any) !!

Cheers n e-peace...

1.) You will get 2 mbps in night... after 12 AM

2.) Refer to previous posts... And not all seeds can upload @ speeds like 15 kBps.. so the more seeds u have..the better... Make sure port forwarding is right in utorrent.. and encryption is enabled...

3.) This is not permanent address AFAIK... Take the test again.. It will show different IP...

4.) Port Forwarding allows other peers to connect to you or it allows incoming connection... Given the load balancing and "swarming" nature of the BitTorrent network, clients unable to take incoming requests for uploads will naturally be allowed less bandwidth for downloads. So its importent if you wanna get Max speed.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
4.) Port Forwarding allows other peers to connect to you or it allows incoming connection... Given the load balancing and "swarming" nature of the BitTorrent network, clients unable to take incoming requests for uploads will naturally be allowed less bandwidth for downloads. So its importent if you wanna get Max speed.

How can i forward my port ?? quiz ? Is this site --> *www.portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Utor/Utorindex.htm

good for port forwarding ?>? (i can see myD-Link Router mentioned (DSL 502T) on that very same page in the lowest page.. plz guide me..
Does D LINK Router DSL 502T allow for port forwarding ?? As i need to enter the below metioned details in Advanced> Virtual Server on (192.168.1.1)

Rule Name Utor1
Private IP 192.168.1.xxx
Protocol TCP
Port Start 60857
Port End 60857
Port Map 60857

But, I cannot see any PORT FORWARDING button nor any Rule name or place to enter the above mentioned settings.. plz help my confusion !!

Cheers n e-peace...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom