Torrent download 24*7..suggestion required

SahilAr

In the zone
I am considering buying Raspberry Pi for torrents,should i buy it for torrents or buy a tablet/router for downloading torrents?I want to access them anywhere on the go.the budget is 3-5k maximum!!Tab/pi/router will be used 24*7 for downloading torrents as i have unlimited data plan.

debarshi

Otaku
Bump..............
I want the same thing, but I am on a lower budget............ So what are the cheapest options........

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
What about electricity bill?Running a cheap tab 24*7 won't create huge bills?and any suggestions for some cheap tabs between 4-5k?BTW why not the routers for torrents??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
intel atom kit comes for ~3000.add 2gb ram for ~700,hard disk & any cheap psu(old or new for ~550) & you have got yourself a fully functional 24/7 downloading system(with unmatched flexibility compared to routers,tabs etc) with avg power consumption of ~40-50W(i know router consumes even less but rest assured the difference in savings even for a whole year will be less than the price of a medium size veg dominos pizza :) )

debarshi

Otaku
Nope, she will burn itself up in two days the way she gets heated up if I keep her on for two-three days at a stretch

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
intel atom kit comes for ~3000.add 2gb ram for ~700,hard disk & any cheap psu(old or new for ~550) & you have got yourself a fully functional 24/7 downloading system(with unmatched flexibility compared to routers,tabs etc) with avg power consumption of ~40-50W(i know router consumes even less but rest assured the difference in savings even for a whole year will be less than the price of a medium size veg dominos pizza :) )

I like your config,but i am thinking that instead of building a new downloading rig,wouldn't it be good if i run the downloading task on my current cpu and the specs are:
CPU-Intel Core 2 Duo e7200
MOBO-Intel Dg31pr
RAM-2GB DDR2
Hard Drive-1.5 TB(Corrupted..but will buy a new one)
PSU-Intex(Local one costed me 400 INR)
Will the difference in savings even for a whole year will still be less than the price of a medium size veg dominos pizza :D

Neo

Nope, she will burn itself up in two days the way she gets heated up if I keep her on for two-three days at a stretch

Heh. Keep your PC on for an year non stop and nothing will happen :p .
Anyway, Raspberry Pi will be FTW.
You can also look at some NAS Drivers, but they might be costly.

debarshi

Otaku
I know that, but with my current INTEX psu (cheap rig), I dont think she'll last long, with the kind of efficiency it has......if i keep her on 24x7 (I get a burning smell now and then, I am used to it)

And +1 for Raspberry Pi.......

If only it had VGA out...........hmmmm

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
there will be ~60W of power difference between atom & c2d e7200(at usual/low consumption expected in downloading rig) so in 24 hours difference will be 24*60=1440W=1.44unit per day(approx Rs.5-6).so in a year assuming 24/7 running saving will be ~1800.

Top Bottom