Torrent download 24*7..suggestion required

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
there will be ~60W of power difference between atom & c2d e7200(at usual/low consumption expected in downloading rig) so in 24 hours difference will be 24*60=1440W=1.44unit per day(approx Rs.5-6).so in a year assuming 24/7 running saving will be ~1800.

That means the difference in savings for a whole year will be less than the price of a medium size veg dominos pizza?? :(
And rather than going for cheap tabs/router/raspberry pi..i should go for my current pc for downloading na?or i should go with a router/tab/raspberry Pi?If i add Modem+Router and UPS too then how much the savings will be?Suppose the ups is of 1KVA.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
cheapest dominos medium veg pizza costs 190.i don't recommend tabs/routers etc for 24/7 downloading & extra power consumption of modem+router is negligible.UPS simply transfer power after charging its battery so again its consumption is negligible.use your c2d e7200 system & use lcd monitor/remote login to access it(crt monitor consume lot more power).only use this rig to download/browsing & with avg cpu use of ~10-20% its power consumption should be ~90W without monitor which is same as a laptop with graphics card.

mitraark

Decrepit
My PC runs 24x7 uploading at 10 MB/s throughout the day, CPU Usage is 30% minimum at any time, the amount of dust inside my cabinet makes the CPU go upto 55 idle and 75 load.

If you get a burning smell from your cabinet you replace it immediately, otherwise it should run 24x7 without any problem. I have my home PC with Frontech PSU running 24x7 as well.

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
@whitestar_999,thanks for the advice mate,i will be using my C2d for downloading,btw can you suggest me any good router between 2-3k range,i need QOS Bandwidth Management,Flashing Custom Firmware..it must have decent RAM and Flash Memory.USB(In addition) would be good.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
My PC runs 24x7 uploading at 10 MB/s throughout the day, CPU Usage is 30% minimum at any time, the amount of dust inside my cabinet makes the CPU go upto 55 idle and 75 load.

If you get a burning smell from your cabinet you replace it immediately, otherwise it should run 24x7 without any problem. I have my home PC with Frontech PSU running 24x7 as well.
how much is the electricity bill?

Heh. Keep your PC on for an year non stop and nothing will happen :p .
True..but lifetime of PC also depends on quality of Capacitors used in mobo,PSU etc

mitraark

Decrepit

Well i won't deny the PC might be responsible for a significant part of the electricity bill , but i'm not sure how much , and i didn't even consider worrying about it because it shouldn't be absurdly high. I do my bit to keep it low , screen goes off in 1 minute inactivity, have separate power for the speakers ( this one i don't think matters much ) ... AS far as i knew , ACs and fridge and other heavy appliances take much more power.

Well i won't deny the PC might be responsible for a significant part of the electricity bill , but i'm not sure how much , and i didn't even consider worrying about it because it shouldn't be absurdly high. I do my bit to keep it low , screen goes off in 1 minute inactivity, have separate power for the speakers ( this one i don't think matters much ) ... AS far as i knew , ACs and fridge and other heavy appliances take much more power.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
TP-LINK has the best models in the 2-3k price range.if you want adsl modem+router get this:
TP-LINK DW8961 ADSL plus WIFI 300MBPS
if you simply want router you can get this:
TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router | Router | Flipkart.com

only better router than above one is asus RT-N13U B1(note B1 as there are other versions too of this model) which supports torrent downloading through its own usb port without need of a pc but it costs ~3000 & you have to do some tweaking.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
If you can afford around 6k, you can get Asus N16. It has the best hardware for the price, and has two USB ports. The signal range is the best among its competitors, and yes, you can download 24x7 using the in-built download manager.

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
Thanks for the reply @whitestar_999 :)
but..
Can RT-N13 U B1 work as USB Host after some tweaking?

And what about this router: WNR2200 ..Is it better than Asus one?can this work as USB Hub???

Last edited:

debarshi

Otaku
Just tell me the cheapest option, how can I share a few gigs of files in my home WiFi network, without keeping my PC on for the whole time............ I just bought the Asus Rt-N12LX, so I cant probably buy another one right now :(

sunilromy

Right off the assembly line
Asus rt-13u b1 official software download master is very much buggy. I faced so much issues with it. I sold it in 1 month. Even after installing ddwrt, thr wer issues like. Hdd spindown, automount issue. Sometimes automatically get halted after couple of hours.

At my place thr r load shedding issue and in this it created loads of issues. I tried various pendrive 500gb seagate portable and various pendrive. But all get halted after power cut or sudden disconnection of internet.

But, now i m gonna try pogplus. Please guys suggest some rigid router.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
WNR2200 costs more than asus & has less features so it is not a good choice.tweaking is only required for some particular cases of using inbuilt torrent downloader to download through usb port without using any pc.for more details about asus RT-N13U B1 contact @dashing.sujay(*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/members/86068.html).

@debarshi,without turning on pc only option to share files on wifi is by using pen drive with a router like asus RT-N13U.

arko1983

In the zone
i have also got asus router but torrent health is zero and no downloads also used ddrwrt without sucess.any help would be appreciated.

Rajesh345

Youngling
i have also got asus router but torrent health is zero and no downloads also used ddrwrt without sucess.any help would be appreciated.

1) DId u check if the torrent you downloading have seeders ? , for testing purpose try with Utorrent

Q) Did u enable Port forwarding using DD-WRT >Administartion >command>Firewall ?

arko1983

In the zone
i am back using asus software.
ya it has lots of seed in utorrent
tried 3 diff torrents but all health 0 in download manager of asus
it worked fine for few days then this prob started.
just checked now only 1 torrent has some heath but it was showing 0 for a long time

Rajesh345

Youngling
Asus rt-13u b1 official software download master is very much buggy. I faced so much issues with it. I sold it in 1 month. Even after installing ddwrt, thr wer issues like. Hdd spindown, automount issue. Sometimes automatically get halted after couple of hours.

At my place thr r load shedding issue and in this it created loads of issues. I tried various pendrive 500gb seagate portable and various pendrive. But all get halted after power cut or sudden disconnection of internet.

But, now i m gonna try pogplus. Please guys suggest some rigid router.

You have to add following cmd to DD_WRT startup config

echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_disk/0:0:0:0/allow_restart # To avoid HDD spindown

i am back using asus software.
ya it has lots of seed in utorrent
tried 3 diff torrents but all health 0 in download manager of asus
it worked fine for few days then this prob started.
just checked now only 1 torrent has some heath but it was showing 0 for a long time

Q) Did u enable Port forwarding using DD-WRT >Administartion >command>Firewall ?

doesn't new computers support downloads when they are in sleep mode?????????

No

Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions
What is sleep mode? - A Word Definition From the Webopedia Computer Dictionary

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
Buy any cheap android mobilr, add a 32gb micro sd card, download utorrent from playstore and voila you have lowest power consumimg torrent downloader in yhe world!
Doing it since a long time on my Xperia s/ galaxy

Top Bottom