Tools to recover data from encrypted hard disk

jedy

Broken In
My laptop is crashed and hard disk is showing BSOD error when connected to different laptop. I am unable to repair since it is encrypted with Mcafee endpoint encryption software. I badly need to recover the data from the encrypted hard disk since there is no backup.

Please help me how to recover the data from it.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Jedy

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
once a hard disk is encrypted only way to recover data is by decrypting that hard disk.if in case hard disk is not bootable then it depends on software(used for encryption) how to handle it.you should ask at mcafee forums for this issue.

OP
J

jedy

Broken In
Thanks for the reply @Ramakanta and @whitestar_999...

My IT people are not helping me to recover the data. They said if you haven't taken backup, we cant help it. They gave replacement laptop.
Would i be able to access my hard disk , if i install the mcafee encryption on my new laptop and encrypt with same settings and later connect this as a secondary one ?

Any thoughts ?

ramakanta

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks for the reply @Ramakanta and @whitestar_999...

My IT people are not helping me to recover the data. They said if you haven't taken backup, we cant help it. They gave replacement laptop.
Would i be able to access my hard disk , if i install the mcafee encryption on my new laptop and encrypt with same settings and later connect this as a secondary one ?

Any thoughts ?

must try this one ..

run Ubuntu live , and go to your drive where ever you have data stored. Actually it does not shows actually data , but shows as different types . copy all the file by external storage what ever you show on in encrypted drive .

when ever your hardisk ok , then install mcafee encryption in windows .
then again run Ubuntu live cd , and store all the backup data to encrypted drive . then run windows ,

it might be helpful .

N:B: don't install Ubuntu only LIVE from DVD .. ok . thanks .

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^that won't work.basic principle of any encryption is a key to encrypt data which is unique.this is where how mcafee endpoint encryption works comes into play.does it store key file in encrypted form separately from encrypted data or does it allow some mechanism to embed this info within encrypted data to allow recovery on another system running same mcafee software?this info can be get from mcafee forums but in my opinion chances of recovery are very less especially in case of hardware hdd problem.

amayamartin82

Broken In
My laptop is crashed and hard disk is showing BSOD error when connected to different laptop. I am unable to repair since it is encrypted with Mcafee endpoint encryption software. I badly need to recover the data from the encrypted hard disk since there is no backup.

Please help me how to recover the data from it.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Jedy

Why don't you get in touch with some professional firms those actively engaged in offering data recovery services. I mean there are a number of options in the market. Find a suitable one.

Top Bottom