Too much HDD Usage?

mitraark

Decrepit
I share many files over DC++ [ somewhat similar to uTorrent ] in my college network. I upload constantly at 11 MB/s , and my PC runs for 15-20 Hours daily , so total upload is around 30x15= 450 GB atleast per day , i.e. , 450 GB of data is read from my HDDs per day.

I have 2 TB WD Green HDD and a 1 TB Seagate Freeagent. Is so much of read from a HDD going to make it corrupt ??? How much read [ not write ] can a HDD take ??? Is the read cycles of HDD limited ???

If any additional info is required i will give.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I am very much sure just reading the drives, wont make it corrupt !
Theoretically it should be able to do that for infinite times. But wait for an expert to answer, or someone with some practical info.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
that's darn high amount of load on HDD. see if you can keep the HDD temps low all the while by installing extra fans pushing cool air onto HDDs. increases HDD life.

gameranand

Living to Play
Normal Magnetic hard drives don't have read or write cycles. Pendrives and SSDs have this problem so as long as your temp of hard disk is low its not a problem at all.

OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
Normal Magnetic hard drives don't have read or write cycles. Pendrives and SSDs have this problem so as long as your temp of hard disk is low its not a problem at all.

Thanks for that info , does bring some much needed relief. Will start using the Seagate Freeagent vertically , it will help dissipate more heat than when it is kept flat.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Hmm.. keeping it vertically!
I hope I can do the same thing, with my Internal hard drive! :-D

OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
Yea , before i kept like this

*www.computerhub.in/(S(cdcf2uaazuqoxnji3xm4uo55))/User/177Seagate_FreeAgentGO.jpg

Now i keep it like this

*www.productwiki.com/upload/images/seagate_freeagent_desk.jpg

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Ahem, Ahem! I am pretty sure, people here, very well know, what "keeping vertically" means :-D
Btw, the stand reminds me of this laptop stand:

*www.boingboing.net/images/BookArc-AirHero_LeftR_.jpg

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
HDD have mechanical parts on which the spindle moves/rotates (although read/write per se does not require the head to touch the platter).

As your HDD performs too much operations as compared to normal usage, it is bound to go kaput sooner.

only problem would be short life............ and especially that free agent one keep it horizontal ............ as from my experience I had to replace it 3 times in 3 months, before I started keeping it horizontal, now its running for a year or so,
and as Sam said you would start hearing ricking noise quite clearly and your data is gone..........

OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
Nope , no noise or anything , yet , thankfully.

I know anything that moves is bound to deplete , just wanted to know how much can it take.

Also , are you sure keeping it vertically would cause problems ? Keeping it horizontally means it would be too close to suface in the bottom , hence more heat, just started using it vertically since yesterday.

Top Bottom