"To all iPhone customers" -Steve Jobs (Apple is NOT a ruthless corporation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
1st Apple makes there die hard fans buy iPhone for $600. Approx $300 more then the original production price, meaning they were making 100% profit per unit, thats even more then what pepsi makes :D

Then they reduce the cost to $400, making fools of all early adapters. $200 in 2 months, thats the fastest price cut ever...this means that Apple was already making lots of profit on $600 iPhone & they are still making with $400, about $100.

Now Apple is giving $100 Gift Coupon which u can only use to buy stuff from Apple store.....

Lolz...who is benefiting here? Apple or the customer.....even if we buy a Microsoft keyboard from Apple store, who is getting the profit? Microsoft or Apple.

If people use this to buy "Upgrade to Leopard", still Apple is making profit & well, they will then say "Leopard sold XXXXX copies" counting this upgrade packages too
Oh really? Makes a load of sense.

My sister bought a Nokia N90 a few days after it was released for Rs. 32,000. After one and a half month, the price fell to Rs. 24,000. That's $197 in approximately two months. She cried, cursed, shouted, complained at Nokia stores (while I made fun of her for buying such a crap phone!)... no $100 store credit or an online apology from the CEO of Nokia for her.

Apple only looked bad because they have set high standards for themselves. We expect Apple to be better than other companies. Nokia does something wrong, no one blinks an eyelid. We are used to crap. Apple does something, the whole world goes insane. Because we expect better from them and by this letter and $100 store credit, Apple has proved, yet again, that they deserve that kind of devotion.

This is the last I'm speaking on this subject. No point banging my head against a wall.

I know I said that was the end of it but I just came across this article on Apple Matters and couldn't resist post it here:
The first thing we need to understand is Apple’s pricing. Apple, and in fact the great majority of businesses, don’t price products based on the cost of producing said product.

This is plainly apparent when looking at the cost of MacBooks. The black MacBook commands a $150 premium over the equivalent white MacBook for no other reason than people prefer, and will pay more money for, a black colored MacBook. For some that is a reason to be outraged, the black MacBook and white MacBook perform exactly the same, why would Apple charge a premium for nothing more than an added dash of carbon black in the plastic manufacturing process? These people clearly don’t understand how businesses price products.

The easy thing to think that business prices follow some simplistic formula. If it costs Apple a $1000 dollars to build a computer they should reasonably charge $1500 for said machine. A moment’s reflection is all it takes to convince one that the notion of a cost plus profit pricing scheme is not only simplistic it also isn’t good business.

Imagine you manufacture oven windows. Due to a radical breakthrough you can produce an oven window for $1. Your competitors charge $50 for an oven window. The industry (imagine) requires a million oven windows a year. Where will you price your new oven window? The naive answer is that you’ll charge $1.50 per window. Congrats, you’ve just screwed yourself out of $45,000,000 or so. You would, in fact, charge just slightly less than $50. By pricing your oven slightly below the competition ($47.50) you’ll sell a million windows and rake in $47.5 million. Price your window at $1.50 and you’ll sell a million windows and bring in $1.5 million. The simplistic illustration is an example of profit maximization, businesses don’t try to charge enough to “get by” they charge as much as the consumers are willing to pay. Apple is no different, the company charges what research indicates consumers are willing to pay. You can get angry about the amount they charge but Apple isn’t in the game to make you feel good.
To the point and accurate.

Last edited:

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
At least they decided to give away a 100$ credit from the store. One can buy useful accessories for free* :) Nice offer btw.... never heard of any other companies giving any type of *bonus before. Apple certainly made its mark. :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
entrana said:
you can buy a apple ipod shuffle with that i think
Even if they buy something worth more than $100, they still get the store credit so they are not restricted to thinking below that mark. :)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
gx_saurav said:
Now Apple is giving $100 Gift Coupon which u can only use to buy stuff from Apple store.....

Lolz...who is benefiting here? Apple or the customer.....even if we buy a Microsoft keyboard from Apple store, who is getting the profit? Microsoft or Apple.
You know what? I'll be happy with the $100 coupon. If you're interested in Apple stuffs, it would be for you as well.

gx_saurav said:
If people use this to buy "Upgrade to Leopard", still Apple is making profit & well, they will then say "Leopard sold XXXXX copies" counting this upgrade packages too
My MacBook Pro comes with Tiger. Usually Apple offers the Leopard upgrade for $9.95 (CD/shipping cost apparently) to those that buy a MacBook Pro within 60 days before Leopard.

Does Microsoft do like that?

Pathik

Google Bot
I believe thats a good business practice by apple.. Tho it can easily do that as they already get a premium price for their products..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom