Tired of unable to understand this file sharing thing

Hey friends, i simply sick of messing around with homegroups and file sharing procedures.
I m having one laptop on Win8 64 bit and other laptop on Win 7 Home Premium.

I want to share a folder specifically with my other laptop.
Please some one help me whats the difference in homegroup and how to do simple file sharing.
By creating homegroups i tried many things but many a times i was unable to access the PC On the network which asks for some password which i dont know.
Homegroup dropouts are so irritating.
Please if some one could explain to me the use of both these things.
I tried searching on web , but it was too confusing.:-x:-x

sameerdatta

Broken In
Follow These Steps

1. Go to Local Area Connection and click on properties
2. go to tcp/ipv4
3. Enter IP (eg: 192.168.0.XXX) and apply (subnet mask will fill automatically 255.255.255.0)
4. In the network and sharing center change connection type to "Home"
5. now go press the "window button" + "R" on your keyboard this will open a run window
6. type "ping 192.168.0.XXX -t" (enter the ip address of the other computer) If it says "reply from 192.168.0.XXX : bytes 32 ......... then go to step 7
7.go to the folder you want to share, right click go to properties > sharing
8. click share

You Are done

I hope this helped

OP
N

niraj trehan

Dr.Geek
what os u use ?

if u want simple solution, use ip messenger.
I am using win8

I just want to know the difference in all these terms like Homegroups ( what exactly it is and when exactly to use it)
Simple file sharing ( Any adv or disadv over homegroup )?
Its all so confusing !
Why do we connect using IP addresses then if that is also serving the same purpose of LAN connectivity ?

_______________________________________________________________________________________
What i m looking for is , a simple way to connect my two laptops where in i can access the folders of my laptops from each other.
Homegrouping had way too much errors.
Upon clicking computers on network , it asks for a username and password, which is even more irritating !!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
to use networking smoothly(without homegroup) with windows vista/7/8 it is essential that admin/your account has a password.even if you don't need one still just set a simple password.also select network type as private/work & in network sharing center--advanced sharing options,enable file & folder sharing under "private/work" profile.

icebags

Technomancer
I am using win8

I just want to know the difference in all these terms like Homegroups ( what exactly it is and when exactly to use it)
Simple file sharing ( Any adv or disadv over homegroup )?
Its all so confusing !
Why do we connect using IP addresses then if that is also serving the same purpose of LAN connectivity ?

try this and tell whats happening ?

~ right click the required folder > properties > sharing > hit "share" button.
~ at the new window, hit the drop down list > select everyone > click add > when "everyone" is added to the list below, check if its given "read permission", if not, give it
~ click share button.
~ when its done, hit "window + r" button and type "\\<ur this computer ip or name>".
~ another window will open with network tab selected. see if ur shared folder is there. if its there, then u should be able to find it through sharing.

Top Bottom