This is so lame haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I upgraded my PC to Dual Core and my Debian 4.0 is not getting installed :(

I think the DVD I got with a magazine is for 32 bit Single Core only :wink:

Now thing is I cant live without Linux as I am pretty used to it and only use Windows for Games.

I got Fedora 7 64 Bit & OpenSuse 10.3 now which of these have better Multimedia supprt.

[I am talking about default install and nothing to be downloaded from internet as I dont have internet at home. Also its a pain to install software if you dont have net access to the Tux box.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Both don't contain multimedia support out of the box. Beginnerwise, OpenSUSE 10.3 is a better choice than Fedora 7.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Both need codecs.Install Fedora 7 and follow this guide

*www.gagme.com/greg/linux/f7-tips.php

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
My Config is in Sign. I think AMD64 / smp Kernel based Variant is needed to run on my config.

I tried OPEN Suse and Fedora sites and found that popular formats are not supported as they are patented. :(

I am so used to debian and it really rox.... But 64 Bit SMP Kernel Variant is no where to be found for me :( :(

ps: I am using linux around 2-3 years now so not exactly newbie but Never used Linux for internet or updated it through internet.

Last edited:

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Download the first cd image of debian testing weeky build for 64 bit and see if its working..

*cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-cd/

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Hmm I will check with Mint DVD if I have it with me.

Vignesh I cant download a 600 MB+ as I dont have net connection and downloading that much in a cyber cafe is a pain :$

I will check with some friends for downloading it though =]

Anyone knows if someone sell Linux DVDs for nominal values? :$ I am willing to pay for a Debian 4.0RC1 AMD64 DVD :D

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
linuxjunkies.in .. they have threads to send dvds.Try that. Where do you live.I`ll download and send the first cd alone you can install the rem stuff using apt.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Why not try getting to the core of the issue. Where are you getting stuck in debian? At what point? What error message? If you're not getting enough errors, use a more verbose mode with installer.
Are you using the new GUI installer or the old installer?
If you can pass me some more details, I can may be try having a talk with debian people on IRC and find out if there's anything useful.

mehulved

That's not the point. Point is to find out the reason where it's going wrong. It maybe a bug. And if it is, we can report it. So, much the better for others too. And it's always better to try and solve the problem it makes things easier.

praka123

left this forum longback
Debian sure rocks.Debian Etch mostly supports ur dualcore system.try get to the details of ur install problem read the verbose errors.press ctrl+alt+f12 for some clues.use cli ncurses based debian installer.select expert option(press F1toF8 for help at boot prompt) to have to select 64bit supported kernel.only debian lenny(testing) have Debian amd64 support(which ubuntu too uses).if u have B/W,try latest lenny it is uptodate with Gnome or kde too.while Debian Etch is a lil old packages with bugfixes only.also debian supports multimedia very well.

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Ok I tried Mint and it doesnt work. It gave same error that Debian Gave me.

Kernel Panic. and asked to choose "noapic" option for installation promt

So I tried that but still same error.

I will post EXACT error tommrow. I dont have net at home. SO I will write it down and post tommorow when I am i office.

ps: Y Debian really rox :D

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Found the problem

8600 GT is not supported :$

Last nVidia Range Supported was 7900 :(

so its saying no screens found etc. I guess I have to wait for some version which has inbuilt 100.x.x mVidia driver :D

mehulved

The latest nvidia driver do surely support 8600. Try to get the latest driver from sid's repository and see how it goes.

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
How Can I use that driver if Debian isnt even installing and also corrupting parition table.

I had to format entire disk twice already :(

So right now just working with XP + OPenoffice for Windows :(

* I have no internet connection

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom