This Indian physicist disproved black holes 13 years before Hawking

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
A new paper released late last month in which famed British physicist Stephen Hawking contradicts his own theory and says that Black Holes - in the real sense - do not actually exist has startled the world science community.

But Abhas Mitra, a theoretical physicist at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) in Mumbai, is not at all surprised. "I said more than a decade ago that the Black Hole solutions found in Einstein's General Theory of Relativity actually correspond to zero mass and are never formed. This implies that the so-called Black Hole candidates must be Grey Holes or quasi-Black Holes," Mitra said, adding, "Hawking is saying the same thing now."

Read more at: This Indian physicist disproved black holes 13 years before Hawking : Technology, News - India Today

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
So all those documentaries and programs on Discovery channel natgeo, and history channel were lies? I thought black holes were like an inter-dimensional portal.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
So all those documentaries and programs on Discovery channel natgeo, and history channel were lies? I thought black holes were like an inter-dimensional portal.
Me also thought exactly as you,Friend.

The moment/event one passes through the singularity,some other universe or dimension opens up......

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Theoretical Physics is termed as "theoretical" for a reason. Its because they can never be proved with 100% certainty.
All the scientists can do is to "speculate". And in this case it was a big speculation.

I too have grown up watching all those shows that showcased the possibility of Blackholes and stuff with great interest. But later when I came to realize that its all theoretical. Hence any change in the theories doesn't surprise me at all.

There goes one more chance for the possibility of Time Travel. :p

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Time travel (to the past, the one that you are interested in) is impossible if you are not to violate the law of mass-energy conervation.

That being said, nobody said the balck holes dont exist. What Hawking claims now is that the event horizon is not a rigid boundary as it was once thought. Thats more like an alien far away in the universe saying that earth exists but there is also an atmosphere around it so he was wrong to say that the earth had a hard boundary that separated it from "outer-space"

Regarding the Indian scientist, I'll have to read up :>

There seems to be a fundaental difference between what Mitra claims and what Hawking suggests. Mitras claims (atleast in that news article) point to a body with a surface thats infinitely collapsing but held back by radiation pressure. That is kind of like arguing that the earth's surface is an eternally collapsing surface held up by the nuclear/electrostatic forces that prevent the crushing of atoms.

More interestingly though, Mitra's proposal would tyically lead to a better/more digestible theory of black holes and perhaps even explain the Hwaking radiation better, but igores the very important quantum effects. I know very little of this matter, but to my untrained eye it looks like the real deal would be closer to a superposition of both these theories - just like how its perfectly true that the throw of a stone can be explained via Newtonian mechanisc, but the quantum effects are also perpetually present, if you observe closely.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
if time travel to past were possible, we would have thousands of human visitors from future. the fact that there are none proves that its not possible

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
if time travel to past were possible, we would have thousands of human visitors from future. the fact that there are none proves that its not possible

May be they are visiting but not our present time.. they must be visiting ancient times to discover or change things..

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Not to forget the Grandfather Paradox and Butterfly Effect, if violation in law of conservation of mass-energy occurs,within the realms of Time travel.

icebags

Technomancer
Perhaps we are not interesting enough for them.

future is infinite. atleast for the experiment sake they would have been here appearing, and reappearing.

but in the real world nothing is absolute, like the existence of point( 0 dimension ) is only possible in theory, Mr Mitra stated existence of huge/infinite mass at a single point is also theoretical.

Inceptionist

Journeyman
future is infinite. atleast for the experiment sake they would have been here appearing, and reappearing.

I was talking about tourists coming en masse to the year 2014.
Do you think people will travel to year 239 AD if time travel would have been a reality now? ;)

bubusam13

Human
if they could travel to past, they can also ravel to future. May be they are interested traveling to future. Ha ha

Top Bottom