Nerevarine

Incarnate
Dude...play the first two Thief games and you will get an experience unlike any other. There are so many ways to complete a game and stealth is paramount.

Edit : The Thief series is the grandfather of the original first person stealth genre. Thought I do not hope this new one to recreate the feel of the originals, I recommend the originals to be must play classics.

+1 Agree

anaklusmos

Youngling
Dude...play the first two Thief games and you will get an experience unlike any other. There are so many ways to complete a game and stealth is paramount.

Edit : The Thief series is the grandfather of the original first person stealth genre. Thought I do not hope this new one to recreate the feel of the originals, I recommend the originals to be must play classics.

I still remember the water arrows and grass arrows..... :D

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If anyone's buying recently manufactured AMD HD 7850 and above card, they can get Thief 4 steamkey for free..
See radeon rewards

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
For those who still want the gameplay of the classic Thief series with more modern graphics, you can try the freeware clone The Dark Mod which is based on the Id Tech 4 engine. It is not the same as the classics but it is a mod with community made custom missions and it has no main campaign or anything. But the feel is the same as the classics.

*www.thedarkmod.com/wp-content/gallery/environments/training1.jpg

*www.thedarkmod.com/wp-content/gallery/environments/training2.jpg

*www.thedarkmod.com/wp-content/gallery/environments/alberics_8.jpg

Here's a gameplay play through

Akira

Augmented Nerd
The specs for PC are out:

Minimum System Requirements

CPU: High-performance dual core CPU or quad core CPU

RAM: 4 GB

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 4800 series / Nvidia GTS 250

DirectX: DirectX 10

HDD/SSD: 20 GB

Recommended Specs

CPU: AMD FX 8000 series or better / Intel i7 Quad Core CPU

RAM: 4+ GB

Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD / R9 series or better / Nvidia GTX 660 series or better

DirectX: DirectX 11

HDD/SSD: 20 GB

The PC version of the game was ported to the PC by Nixxes, which previously worked on the PC versions Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Tomb Raider.That's good, loved both of these games :-D

Thief will be the first to use TrueAudio from AMD. Sadly, most of us wouldn't be able to make use of it(TA only available on R7 260x and R9 290/290x as well as Kaveri APUs :|). Seriously, why not on the rest of the mainstream cards(270x, 280x etc)???

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Minimum Requirements seem decent. Though I am seriously overdue on my PC upgrade to play on recommended.

TrueAudio is part of the new SteamRoller architecture, that is why its not available on older chipsets I think.

snap

Lurker
it was leaked for quite a few days i think and the early views are that it was pretty short and linear

quicky008

Technomancer
Has anyone started playing it yet? If yes,it would be great if the person(s) in question could let us know how good (or bad) the game really is so that others can decide whether they should go for it or avoid it entirely.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Another review on Rock, Paper, Shogun. Looks like the new Thief is getting mixed reviews :

Wot I Think: Thief | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Whenever thief releases "Mantle API" support,can somebody with a desktop GCN Amd card confirm how much of a performance improvement it is over std D3D ?

My only question is ..."Is "Mantle API" the end of glorified space heaters also known as Nvidia graphic cards...

heidi2521

Padawan
I've played Thief for ~6 hours, and I can honestly say I am not impressed (shocking, i know).

Presentation wise, the texturing absolutely sucks arse. They have bound too many controls to the same key. You don't need to use "E" for everything. Keyboards have more than 4 buttons. The missions are too guided and fall back into the old collectathon trope. Most of the the time the product simply feels confused. It tries to be a stealth game for the beginning of the mission like the classics, before going full on Call of Duty and then becoming Assassins Creed where the combat sucks and you have low health.

It tries to get oldschool fans like me, the average Call of Duty/Uncharted crown and the Assassins Creed crowd all at once, and ends up satisfying none of them. You don't have proper sustained stealth and freedom (in mission structure) for the oldschool fans, the action has too many interruptions where you need to hide for Call of Duty fans and you lack the freedom to actually freerun and explore for the Assassins Creed fans.

This may have been a good product if Square Enix decided whom to target beforehand, but in trying to appeal to everyone it ends up being a thoroughly mediocre game on all fronts.

Top Bottom