The Windows Mobile Thread

YoungWolf

Right off the assembly line
Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Updated to 8.1(on the htc 8s) day before yesterday and it is working like a dream. First thing I did was move all apps to SD card since I had only 2mb of internal memory left.
Things I noticed.
1. Initially I thought the battery performance had become a lot worse but that problem solved itself. Now my phone is back to normal(maybe a little more power hungry - but not by much).
2. The interface is still fast but some particular apps(which were directly updated) have become a bit laggy(nothing I cant live with), namely - Internet Explorer now take maybe a few microseconds more to open and close tabs, the music hub(while aesthetically pleasing) takes a bit longer to load all my songs, the Video hub likewise is laggy(this seems to be the worst one - thankfully I dont use it all that much).
3. Phone heats up and uses the battery at a much faster rate if you are using the swipe keyboard(which works wonderfully, I might add)

All these are the apps and features which are new and since this is a developer preview I expected some minor issues - no doubt the music and video apps will soon be getting updates to fix their issues(like the games app is getting currently). And the other issues will probably work out when HTC officially releases the firmware update for WP 8.1 in the coming months.
My personal experience of using 8.1 has been pretty nice - Am very glad I updated and kudos to MS for allowing early access to the update and for making a gorgeous OS even better looking(the transparent tiles look amazing).

Update:

The games hub was updated last night and currently lists my games there, xbox seems to work fine and the Avatar now has a WP to his hand.
Video & music apps are now significantly faster, with the music hub having an option to disable listing on online services.
The battery issues seemed to be my whatsapp draining a huge amount of it and not actually the phone's fault.

There is one grave issue, however. Even if the phone is pin locked, you can open the notification bar and toggle whatever you have put there as shortcuts. This would also mean a stranger picking up your phone and reading through the last 10 notifications (which includes your private sms/chat/email/whatsapp)!

Issues:
I updated my Lumia 920 to 8.1 Developer Preview day before yesterday. Have been running it for 24+ hours and these are the problems I faced:
(please note that this might not be the case with everyone, just a personal experience)

Overall sluggishness of menus, notifications and the top bar crashes from time to time and magically "appears" and disappear. The lock screen can freeze upto 2/3 seconds if the screen went off automatically (mine was set to 3 minutes) and if it requires a pin. The Games hub is a mess, all my games are now listed among the applications and none seems to be found in collections inside the hub. Video (the music+video hub was split into individual applications) seems aesthetic but is *very* laggy. The Phone application is also slower, but is now more convenient than before with speed dial and a better UX. People hub no longer syncs with Facebook/twitter to have all contacts listed, which is a plus for me but all the pictures are now messed up and very low resolution images exist in place. Whatsapp notifications had the option of not showing the message in the band, which it still does but when you open the notification (slide down from top), it shows every message that was delivered after the app was suspended. The back button no more terminates the application but rather suspends it, which is annoying for me as I have to look every time if the thing is still running in background. Internet explorer now seems to have YouTube HTML5 ready, but I didn't get to see any embedded videos play that way. During the 24hr period, I had to fully charge the phone 4 times (although I used a non-Nokia issued 1.5A charger). Cortana, the assistant seems to be great at the moment but I couldn't reproduce the results I saw others demo with. The store is now organized and better but the sluggishness of the OS seems to ruin it.
I hope these are things that would come along the beta tag and since this is a direct Microsoft patch and not a Nokia optimized version, I'd say we should wait for the actual release to happen and not rely on this release for any performance benchmarking.

I purchased the Lumia a little over a year ago and was a developer from the start. This is by far the largest update I have seen and it might be the case that they are still improving, adding and optimizing features and functionalities. It is too early to comment on performance but these are the issues I came to know in the last day. Will update you guys with more info as they pop up.

Note that I have never owned an Android phone (never will), so these are not comparisons to what exists today as "standards". I say these because I feel they could be improved and not because it's ****. You can confidently upgrade to 8.1, my issues are probably rare and might not be the same with yours. L520 seems to have no performance issues as of now.

Shah

Cyborg Agent

Do we have a "must have Windows phone apps" kind of thread here on TDF?

Yes. A simple search would have done the job.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/173439-must-have-apps-games-windows-phone.html

Yes. A simple search would have done the job.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/173439-must-have-apps-games-windows-phone.html

Thanks, I couldn't get it from the forum search bar :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the boot image is the Windows 8 logo now, not "Windows Phone" :D

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

There is an option to disable notification bar if the phone is locked. I think that's what you want [MENTION=22610]hsr[/MENTION]

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Saw that, but it doesn't do anything!

It does. Untick "Show notifications when the screen is locked" under notifications+actions and set a password/pin for unlock under "lockscreen". Then you cant do anything with the notification bar from the lock screen. The only thing you can do is pull it down partially to see the status of the 4 quick aceess button. No notifications show up.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

few issues on software side..
office has now options to view documents stored on sd card in addition to the phone memory. but to my surprise, i am unable click on sd card option in office after saving some files onto the sd card document folder!! actually , i am able to click, but nothing happens.
if battery saver is enabled with the option "now until next charge", there is a symbol appears on battery bar. but it is not filled full even if the battery is at 100%. it looks like some battery has been already used.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

camera app crashes and pink stuff and scan lines from time to time(unpredictable and random) otherwise good
anyone had luck downgrading?

It does. Untick "Show notifications when the screen is locked" under notifications+actions and set a password/pin for unlock under "lockscreen". Then you cant do anything with the notification bar from the lock screen. The only thing you can do is pull it down partially to see the status of the 4 quick aceess button. No notifications show up.

I did that, but it still shows my e-mail notifications there. Must be a bug then, all the others seems to go; this is weird!

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

Good you didnt update... all us impatient folks are paying for it. I was using a 720 on WP 8.0 and I actually was missing the smooth feel.
8.1 is a brilliant update but it is beta. It definitely stutters at time. I'm on a 920 and I can only imagine people on 520's.

Everybody should at least wait for a few bug fix updates before going for 8.1

actually no,my 820 and 720 run it equally fast(or slow at times), ram and cpu doesnt make a difference its a buggy release :(

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

I did that, but it still shows my e-mail notifications there. Must be a bug then, all the others seems to go; this is weird!

no problem with my phone either. action center only shows the 4 quick setting button and nothing else.
tried after restarting??

The 512MB 1GB war is just for the Games. Why do you think Nokia is going to release yet another phone(630) that's on a quad core but only 512MB ram?

- - - Updated - - -

no problem with my phone either. action center only shows the 4 quick setting button and nothing else.
tried after restarting??

Ah yes, it's fine now... How silly!

Flash

Lost in speed

Finally installed the preview update, after constant-interruptions from morning.
Now, installing the update takes more time.. :/

Waiting for the completion.. :)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

I don't think so

actually no,my 820 and 720 run it equally fast(or slow at times), ram and cpu doesnt make a difference its a buggy release :(

I agree with [MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION] here. I think this is just a buggy release and got not much to do with ram - want proof ? See how hot the back get when you run the music hub or cortana - thats CPU being stressed. Further, the beta is largely good, only a few teething issues, afterall its only a beta. The only app thats probably on the limit with the L520 is the awesome Nokia camera.

Flash

Lost in speed

After updating to 8.1, i moved the apps/games to SD card and did a hard reset.
When i opened the SD card, the apps/games are moved to "Others" in SD card and not able to restore :evil:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

After updating to 8.1, i moved the apps/games to SD card and did a hard reset.
When i opened the SD card, the apps/games are moved to "Others" in SD card and not able to restore :evil:

ooh thats tough luck!! this is what i did-
1.backup everything to pc(pics,songs,videos etc)
2.remove memory card
3.hard reset
4.format memory card in pc , then format in storage sense
it cleared a lot of other for me
try it out might help you :)

- - - Updated - - -

the issues i faced seem to have dissappeared other than the mail crash bug otherwise battery life , camera issues etc have all gone , dunno why but its more or less stable now

Top Bottom