The Windows Mobile Thread

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The Windows Phone Thread

I tried cortona, but there's no much work for her in India.
So, reverted back..

But, it's good though..
Actually it's not a drawback - Location should be always ON, if you want to use Cortona..

it is cortana ;)
the "quite hours " feature is very good and is managed by cortana.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

[MENTION=9935]ssk_the_gr8[/MENTION] Spam at the second post above mine. Ninja'ed ?

Btw, the report post button is broken, takes me to a page that says I dont have permissions to view it.

nikufellow

In the zone

Need a few answers guys

1) Does lumia 525 have double tap to wake and glance screen ? If not which is the cheapest lumia with these features (625?)
2)Does installing apps via xap file from sd card require internet connection?
3)Are there any browser available that work good on EDGE like opera mini in other platforms ?

Thanks in advance

rdx_halo

In the zone

Need a few answers guys

1) Does lumia 525 have double tap to wake and glance screen ? If not which is the cheapest lumia with these features (625?)
2)Does installing apps via xap file from sd card require internet connection?
3)Are there any browser available that work good on EDGE like opera mini in other platforms ?

Thanks in advance

1) Double tap > Yes, Glance > No
2) Yes
3) Yes, use UC browser.

One advice: Go for Moto G or wait for Moto E which will be around 9-10 thousand. Windows 8 or 8.1 has a lot of bugs and requires to reset phone several time. So for the time being look for alternatives. I'm a fellow Lumia 520 user and I have faced some serious bugs in software like duplicating files, no detection of files in SD card (card itself is detected), no independent control of music player volume and phone ring volume etc. Lumia phone hardware is premium but software in still buggy.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

2) Yes
3) Yes, use UC browser.

One advice: Go for Moto G or wait for Moto E which will be around 9-10 thousand. Windows 8 or 8.1 has a lot of bugs and requires to reset phone several time. So for the time being look for alternatives. I'm a fellow Lumia 520 user and I have faced some serious bugs in software like duplicating files, no detection of files in SD card (card itself is detected), no independent control of music player volume and phone ring volume etc. Lumia phone hardware is premium but software in still buggy.

Please don't give wrong advice. Windows phone 8 after GDR3 is not buggy. Never faced any issues or phone resets at all. WP8 is the most stable OS out there.
With 8.1 there are issues but it is still not an official release. It's just a developer preview. And the Dev preview will be buggy.

With 8.1 you get data sense with IE 11. It compresses data like opera mini. So you can use IE itself. Also UC browser is definitely an alternative.

Flash

Lost in speed

1)I have faced some serious bugs in software like duplicating files (GDR3 resolved those issue. Copy the SD card contents, format it and then copy back. Problem solved for duplicates), no detection of files in SD card (card itself is detected) (Only WP supported formats gets detected), no independent control of music player volume and phone ring volume etc (WP8.1 got separate controls for both apps and ringer). Lumia phone hardware is premium but software in still buggy (premium?? you mean the aesthetic looks, coz WP8 is the only OS which works perfectly irrespective of 512MB/1GB RAM).

nikufellow

In the zone

thanks [MENTION=9935]ssk_the_gr8[/MENTION] and [MENTION=148475]rdx_halo[/MENTION]

Liked the glance feature very much from videos - is there any sub 20k lumia having that feature . Was considering 525 eventhough i have a budget od 20k as calling music and browsing are my only use,i rarely even use camera but saw a few YouTube videos on glance feature and i really like it so considering spending a bit more plus if i can get a better screens than that on 525 that would be a bonus .

2) Yes
3) Yes, use UC browser.

Please let us know what they are. I want to know what I missed.
Before you plan to go and say it's your phone's problem, I'd like to do that and you say the OS is buggy not the phone. Not having a separate music and ringer volume is NOT a bug but a feature limitation.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

[YOUTUBE]xbzhhS8y3OQ[/YOUTUBE]

thanks but it doesnt work , it says no software packages available :(

- - - Updated - - -

2) Yes
3) Yes, use UC browser.

what rubbish!! wp8.1 is near perfect

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0

I am a 525 user and wp8.1 works perfectly. No single issue till now. Only the music and games app are a bit buggy.

rdx_halo

In the zone

Please let us know what they are. I want to know what I missed.
Before you plan to go and say it's your phone's problem, I'd like to do that and you say the OS is buggy not the phone. Not having a separate music and ringer volume is NOT a bug but a feature limitation.

Biggest bug is that > music and photo duplication, I have wasted countless hours on various forum and followed every steps. But ultimately, no final solution. Just google > duplicate files in Lumia

Then another problem> after formatting SD card contents(Music, Videos, Pics) when I copy the files again in phone, they aren't showing in phone. It started to happen randomly since last week. The card is being detected by the device but the contents in [Music, Videos, pictures] aren't shown up. This is also a fairly common problem as lots of users are reporting online.

This two serious problem has made me think twice for my next mobile purchase. Because Microsoft has not accepted these bugs officially and made no effort to fix them in either Black Amber or 8.1 update.

Bizarre ‘Other’ storage filling up

My phone suffers from a flaw in the WP8 system which caused the available storage to gradually fill up. In the Settings > Phone storage and tap on the bar to get a breakdown of categories and see how much space music and videos, pictures, apps, and system are taking up. There’s also an ‘other’ category which covers attachments from emails, app & game data, and other temporary files. Unfortunately, this category fills up and there is no way of clearing it out without wiping the phone.

I know bug is an inherent nature of any software and I can live with some, I have lived through Windows 98, xp bugs. But when bugs become a real hindrance in a device's feature, then its time to think about alternatives. Android has their share of bugs also, but THEY DON'T CRIPPLE THE PHONE AT-LEAST.

Last edited:

Biggest bug is that > music and photo duplication, I have wasted countless hours on various forum and followed every steps. But ultimately, no final solution. Just google > duplicate files in Lumia

Then another problem> after formatting SD card contents(Music, Videos, Pics) aren't showing in phone. It started to happen randomly since last week. The card is being detected by the device but the contents in [Music, Videos, pictures] aren't shown up. This is also a fairly common problem as lots of users are reporting online.

This two serious problem has made me think twice for my next mobile purchase. Because Microsoft has not accepted these bugs officially and made no effort to fix them in either Black Amber or 8.1 update.

So now it's 2 bugs.

after formatting SD card contents(Music, Videos, Pics) aren't showing in phone
They are not supposed to, if they do THEN it is a bug.

This WILL fix your media duplication
Besides, your content aren't duplicated. Only the listing are.
I have wasted countless hours on various forum and followed every steps
Took me 5 minutes.

I don't think these issues would persist on 8.1, speculation should be presented as speculation not facts that can mislead someone. Next time, post some sources.

rdx_halo

In the zone

tanmaymohan what bugs are you facing in music and games app? please share....

- - - Updated - - -

after formatting SD card contents(Music, Videos, Pics) aren't showing in phone its a typo, I think you get the idea.

Next time, post some sources.
I'm not writing a PhD Thesis with citations and references .... People with common sense can differentiate speculation from fact.

Last edited:

They have already been posted. 8.1 is a Beta update, it IS SUPPOSED to be buggy. OEM and Nokia firmware has not been released for 8.1.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent

thanks @ssk_the_gr8 and @rdx_halo

Liked the glance feature very much from videos - is there any sub 20k lumia having that feature . Was considering 525 eventhough i have a budget od 20k as calling music and browsing are my only use,i rarely even use camera but saw a few YouTube videos on glance feature and i really like it so considering spending a bit more plus if i can get a better screens than that on 525 that would be a bonus .

Lumia 820 if you manage to get one
It has glance as well as an AMOLED display ;)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

tanmaymohan what bugs are you facing in music and games app? please share....

- - - Updated - - -

after formatting SD card contents(Music, Videos, Pics) aren't showing in phone its a typo, I think you get the idea.

Next time, post some sources.
I'm not writing a PhD Thesis with citations and references .... People with common sense can differentiate speculation from fact.

You copied via an SD card reader I hope, not the phone attached to PC method ?

I had this exact issue in Music hub, but its long gone - AFTER I manually deleted and re-copied my collection with the "black" firmware installed.

The Black firmware doesnt fix the issue if its already present, only prevents it from reccurring.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

[MENTION=144597]nikufellow[/MENTION]
yeah, i was going to recommend it too... 820 around 20k will be the price.. or if you are ok with phablets... 1320 .. for 19k on snapdeal

[MENTION=148475]rdx_halo[/MENTION] as long as it is your "opinion" I would never care to correct you. You have the obligation to provide sources if you make statements such as the ones you have posted and suggest something entirely out of context. PhD or not, providing sources only solidifies your argument be it for any matter. Typos are spelling mistakes/missing words.

He was asking for a Lumia series phone with the said features. You were on the path of derailing/hijacking the thread by suggesting him an Android (this is a windows phone thread).

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

[MENTION=148475]rdx_halo[/MENTION] as long as it is your "opinion" I would never care to correct you. You have the obligation to provide sources if you make statements such as the ones you have posted and suggest something entirely out of context. PhD or not, providing sources only solidifies your argument be it for any matter. Typos are spelling mistakes/missing words.

He was asking for a Lumia series phone with the said features. You were on the path of derailing/hijacking the thread by suggesting him an Android (this is a windows phone thread).
[MENTION=22610]hsr[/MENTION] , [MENTION=148475]rdx_halo[/MENTION] has been here for quite some time and seems to have been that one unfortunate guy who has the bad luck of having a poor experience. Or thats what I know. Remember him deperately pingin about some time ago about the same on this/L520 thread.

Flash

Lost in speed

@hsr , @rdx_halo has been here for quite some time and seems to have been that one unfortunate guy who has the bad luck of having a poor experience. Or thats what I know. Remember him deperately pingin about some time ago about the same on this/L520 thread.
:lol:

Btw, reg that duplicates issue this is what i did (before the first OTA update):
1. Backup the SD contents.
2. Hard reset the phone.
3. Put the SD to phone, and format it.
4. Connect the phone, and copy the contents to SD.
5. Problem solved.

- - - Updated - - -

It's happening, finally! :/

*www.techtimes.com/articles/5872/20...crosoft-mobile-april-25-what-happens-next.htm

Top Bottom