The Virtual Reality Thread (Occulus Rift ,Google Cardboard,Gear VR etc)

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Hello ,
Creating this thread ,so that everyone can discuss things related to virtual reality like devices,apps etc in one place :)
Although Occulus Rift,Gear VR are said to deliver true VR the Google cardboard/clones are good for someone to begin with.I never thought a cardboard case with lenses and magnet with appropriate apps can deliver something like this :D
I had ordered the Boxight Ekbox(Indian cardboard clone),but it took a lot of days ,so bought this from ebay; got delivered yesterday.Here are the pictures.
Dreamviewer with nfc tag,nose cushion
*i.imgur.com/ftR9SvQl.jpg
*i.imgur.com/cdrrCgbl.jpg
*i.imgur.com/CsxrKHvl.jpg
Ekbox
*i.imgur.com/HVV2Qq4l.jpg
*i.imgur.com/8yO0gyXl.jpg
*i.imgur.com/N9eIA2El.jpg
Apps tried:
Jack White VR(concert in 3d,we view it from the stage)
Paul McCartney VR
Chair in a room :D
Sisters :D
11:47 (not a game but trailer, Couldnt watch whole ,Horror works more than you expect in this)
Lamper VR.
Another app is Trinus Gyre ,which I haven't tried.It can stream PC games to your cellphone via wifi/usb which can be viewed in cardboard in VR ,like rift.
Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ Don't post full sized pics Use l between filename and extension. :|

On-topic: Though I didn't like the flimsy construction, substandard material and pathetic excuses from Boxight for their EkBox, I did enjoy the VR Experience.

Played these:
Tour Guide (part of the Cardboard app)
Windy Day (part of the Cardboard app)
Crazy Swing VR
Kaiju Fury Trailer
Mad Race VR
Rocket Drop (Google Cardboard)
Roller Coaster VR
VR Cinema
Zombie Shooter VR
Zombie Warfare

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
^ Don't post full sized pics Use l between filename and extension. :|

On-topic: Though I didn't like the flimsy construction, substandard material and pathetic excuses from Boxight for their EkBox, I did enjoy the VR Experience.

Played these:
Tour Guide (part of the Cardboard app)
Windy Day (part of the Cardboard app)
Crazy Swing VR
Kaiju Fury Trailer
Mad Race VR
Rocket Drop (Google Cardboard)
Roller Coaster VR
VR Cinema
Zombie Shooter VR
Zombie Warfare

Sorry,uploaded from phone.Now I put | between it.
Yeah the quality of ekbox is poor ,dont know if its e flute cadboard.not going to last long.But kudos as an Indian company to start this venture,rather than export-rebrand

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
I was also thinking of starting such a thread..

Anyways here are the devices that are speculated / upcoming:

Oculus Rift: Most popular, consumer version expected in 2015 itself.
Gear VR (mobile): Collaboration between Oculus and Samsung
HTC Vive: Collaboration between Valve and HTC (only announced as of yet)
Google Cardboard: jugaad VR
Magic Leap: Nobody knows what this is, but it sound like something like augmented reality. Google has invested 500 Million in this company

Personally I am SUPER psyched for VR/AR and know this is more than just hardware. IMO its a huge leap from screen computing.

Virtual Reality and the Metaverse

amjath

Human Spambot
I'm reading HTC vive is doing so good compared with other vr. If they make it compatible with more device, then it will be a great hit. Also the price is important factor, ~8k is the best bet.

BTW I tried zombie shooter, google earth, roller coaster, chair in the room.

Chair in the room looks scary, with no lights.

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
I'm reading HTC vive is doing so good compared with other vr. If they make it compatible with more device, then it will be a great hit. Also the price is important factor, ~8k is the best bet.

BTW I tried zombie shooter, google earth, roller coaster, chair in the room.

Chair in the room looks scary, with no lights.
Yup htc vive is the best ,as I read its better than rift.
Can u try the app trinus gyre if you have time?
Also try 11.57 ;)

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
I'll ask my local Eye Glasses guy how much he'll charge for making a pair with google's specifications in few days.

Mm or you can buy the first one(black) ,you won't be disappointed ,got it for 550.
also this seems nice,
3D Virtual Reality Glass Google Cardboard Red Assemble made Strong Composite | eBay Mobile

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Hello ,
Creating this thread ,so that everyone can discuss things related to virtual reality like devices,apps etc in one place :)
Although Occulus Rift,Gear VR are said to deliver true VR the Google cardboard/clones are good for someone to begin with.I never thought a cardboard case with lenses and magnet with appropriate apps can deliver something like this :D
I had ordered the Boxight Ekbox(Indian cardboard clone),but it took a lot of days ,so bought this from ebay; got delivered yesterday.Here are the pictures.
Dreamviewer with nfc tag,nose cushion
*i.imgur.com/ftR9SvQl.jpg
*i.imgur.com/cdrrCgbl.jpg
*i.imgur.com/CsxrKHvl.jpg
Ekbox
*i.imgur.com/HVV2Qq4l.jpg
*i.imgur.com/8yO0gyXl.jpg
*i.imgur.com/N9eIA2El.jpg
Apps tried:
Jack White VR(concert in 3d,we view it from the stage)
Paul McCartney VR
Chair in a room :D
Sisters :D
11:47 (not a game but trailer, Couldnt watch whole ,Horror works more than you expect in this)
Lamper VR.
Another app is Trinus Gyre ,which I haven't tried.It can stream PC games to your cellphone via wifi/usb which can be viewed in cardboard in VR ,like rift.
Thanks for reading :)

How do these things work? What else do you need to have? How to run?

Last edited:

amjath

Human Spambot
How does these things work? What else do you need to have? How to run?

the vr cardboard and phone. Go to play store and search for vr and install the vr apps. You scan download cardboard app for a little tutorial

- - - Updated - - -

Mm or you can buy the first one(black) ,you won't be disappointed ,got it for 550.
also this seems nice,
3D Virtual Reality Glass Google Cardboard Red Assemble made Strong Composite | eBay Mobile

Does it come with headband and NFC?

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
the vr cardboard and phone. Go to play store and search for vr and install the vr apps. You scan download cardboard app for a little tutorial

- - - Updated - - -

Only for android users then. Oh well..all other VRs are like this?

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Only for android users then. Oh well..all other VRs are like this?

Also for Iphone ;)

- - - Updated - - -

How do these things work? What else do you need to have? How to run?

Its simple,
Dedicated vr apps played via phone.Phone is put in to the cardboard and strapped to head.we see via lenses in the cardboard in a 360° view in 3D ,using gyroscope which uses the head tracking.ie in the game ` Chair in a Room " ,it feels like we are sitting in a room and when we turn our head up we can see roof,down - floor,sideways-walls etc..hope u get it.
Since the phone is put in the cardboard ,the input is controlled via two magnets mounted on the side of cardboard.When we press one magnet downwards the phone`s magnetometer will find the difference in magnetic feild and will input the needed instruction ,mostly the touch functions.The NFC tag is used to open a specific app when the phone is put inside yhe cardboard.You can also use Bluetooth gamepads ,PS joysticks etc

- - - Updated - - -

The red one in the eBay listing doesn't seem to have one.
The black one I bought have it,not necessary to have nfc though.
No headstrap but has 2 side velcros.
That seller has one with head strap but it costs more.
*m.ebay.in/itmdescription?itemId=121570276047

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Also for Iphone ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Its simple,
Dedicated vr apps played via phone.Phone is put in to the cardboard and strapped to head.we see via lenses in the cardboard in a 360° view in 3D ,using gyroscope which uses the head tracking.ie in the game ` Chair in a Room " ,it feels like we are sitting in a room and when we turn our head up we can see roof,down - floor,sideways-walls etc..hope u get it.
Since the phone is put in the cardboard ,the input is controlled via two magnets mounted on the side of cardboard.When we press one magnet downwards the phone`s magnetometer will find the difference in magnetic feild and will input the needed instruction ,mostly the touch functions.The NFC tag is used to open a specific app when the phone is put inside yhe cardboard.You can also use Bluetooth gamepads ,PS joysticks etc

- - - Updated - - -

The red one in the eBay listing doesn't seem to have one.
The black one I bought have it,not necessary to have nfc though.
No headstrap but has 2 side velcros.
That seller has one with head strap but it costs more.
Google Cardboard inspired Dream Viewer (w/ Headband ) Fully Assembled | eBay Mobile

any android phone will do? Like say...with Moto G 2nd Gen. So let me get this correct,

1. buy that Cardboard Box with lenses and magnets and headstraps and all
2. Buy Android Phone.
3. Download VR apps which will simulate the VR experience with some artifically created ambient effects and environments
4. Put the phone inside cardboard box so that the display is facing your eyes.
5. The display is now augmented via the gyroscope and lenses to create a VR effect.
6. Wear that s#it around your head, and see through those glasses?
7. Move around head, or even walk or dance and all!? Can do all o' that, is it like a game?
8. Give inputs via magnets on the box side, (what sort of inputs though? what do they do?)
9. What is that NFC thingy? how to connect it with VR, does any of this require external power source?

amjath

Human Spambot
any android phone will do? Like say...with Moto G 2nd Gen. So let me get this correct,

1. buy that Cardboard Box with lenses and magnets and headstraps and all
2. Buy Android Phone.
3. Download VR apps which will simulate the VR experience with some artifically created ambient effects and environments
4. Put the phone inside cardboard box so that the display is facing your eyes.
5. The display is now augmented via the gyroscope and lenses to create a VR effect.
6. Wear that s#it around your head, and see through those glasses?
7. Move around head, or even walk or dance and all!? Can do all o' that, is it like a game?
8. Give inputs via magnets on the box side, (what sort of inputs though? what do they do?)
9. What is that NFC thingy? how to connect it with VR, does any of this require external power source?

Till 5 you are right, Question started from number 6
6. Yes
7. Move around head, yes. Walk and dance no. Play a game yes.
8. If you take Google Earth for example, if you click on the magnet, it will zoom or move to view environments.
9. NFC will trigger the launch of the Cardboard Android app automatically.

Top Bottom