The Tragic Case Of Justin Carter,League of Legends player faces 8 years in jail for Facebook comment

Bhargav

In the zone
So,a 18-year-old teen Justin Carter was taken into custody in February after an argument he had on the social network regarding the online video game League of Legends which made him terroristic threat :shock:

Full Story

An 18-year-old who has been in jail since February for making an online comment about 'shooting up a school full of kids' is been on suicide watch because he doesn't believe he will ever be released, his father reveals.
Justin Carter faces eight years in prison if he is convicted of making 'terroristic threats,' a felony.
Carter, who lives near an elementary school, was arrested after he wrote: 'I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still beating hearts jk lol' only two months after the Sandy Hook school massacre.

Arrest: Justin Carter faces up eight years in prison for joking about carrying out a school massacre

Jack Carter says his son was never a threat to anyone and simply made a terrible, stupid joke
Jack Carter told CNN that his son is getting desperate after five months behind bars.
'He's very depressed, very scared, and ... concerned that he's not going to get out,' Mr Carter said. 'He's pretty much lost all hope.'
Mr Carter maintains that his son's comment was a joke - albeit a poorly-timed, terrible joke.
Mr Carter also claims his son has been subject to abuse by other detainees and solitary confinement while behind bars.
'Without getting into the really nasty details, he's had concussions, black eyes, moved four times from base for his own protection,' Mr Carter said.
'He's been put in solitary confinement, nude, for days on end because he's depressed. All of this is extremely traumatic to this kid. This is a horrible experience.'

Regrets: Justin Carter, who has been in jail since February, wishes he had never posted the sarcastic comment

Game over: Justin had been playing League of Legends when he got into an argument with an online player

Mr Carter has previously said the punishment that authorities are seeking doesn't fit the crime.
'These people are serious. They really want my son to go away to jail for a sarcastic comment that he made,' Justin's father, Jack Carter, said.
Although the teenager, who turned 19 in prison, added 'lol' (laughing out loud) and 'jk' (just kidding) to his post, a woman from Canada who saw it reported Justin to police after finding out that he lived near an elementary school.
Mr Carter is now campaigning to have his son released, and wants to teach teenagers about the dangers of posting comments on social media.
'Justin was the kind of kid who didn't read the newspaper. He didn't watch television. He wasn't aware of current events. These kids, they don't realize what they're doing. They don't understand the implications. They don't understand public space,' he told KHOU.
His son first got into trouble in February after he and a friend had been playing League of Legends.
Mr Carter said: 'Someone had said something to the effect of "Oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head," to which he replied "Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts.'
He added that his son had made it clear that the comment was made in jest.
A woman in Canada contacted the police after a Google search showed Justin's last known address was close to Wooldridge Elementary School in Austin.

Campaign: Justin's father, Jack Carter, has started an online petition to raise awareness about the case
Justin was charged with making a terroristic threat and faces a trial on July 1.
A spokesman for Austin police said that after recent events statements such as the one Justin made are taken seriously.
The teenager's family have set up an online petition - Release Justin Carter - to raise awareness of his case.
'Social media is not a playground': father of jailed teen

His bail: $500,000, according to NPR, an amount his family can't pay, thus keeping him behind bars as he awaits trial. He could face up to eight YEARS in prison

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Re: The Tragic Case Of Justin Carter,League of Legends player faces 8 years in jail for Facebook com

I saw this on sxephil.. There are some idiots who cant understand the word "sarcasm" or "joke"..
He clearly said jk and lol at the end, so why the f**k did she pull a Jack Reacher maneuver and screw his life..
Granted, what She did wasnt all that wrong but whats the point of keeping him in prison when all this has been revealed..
Sympathy from a fellow league player bro ...

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Re: The Tragic Case Of Justin Carter,League of Legends player faces 8 years in jail for Facebook com

"Justin Carter, league of Legends"....i thought for once i was reading something about "Justice League.." :lol:

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar

This is Why,We Play Dota 2 :grin:

icebags

Technomancer

this is the problem of talking in open forum, most people don't even understand what a joke is.

probably this is why the british invented social & conversational etiquette few hundred years ago, i wonder ? *l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/39.gif

OP
Bhargav

Bhargav

In the zone

this is the problem of talking in open forum, most people don't even understand what a joke is.

probably this is why the british invented social & conversational etiquette few hundred years ago, i wonder ? *l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/39.gif

thats the point most ppl dont know what is purpose of forum n other dont know whats is joke...................

Nerevarine

Incarnate

Meanwhile in China, Teen Pretends Life Is League Of Legends, Jumps Out of Bush Screaming “For Demacia”
lol :lol:

Hrishi

And I thought that finally something tragic happened to JB , turned out it was something else.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl

When i saw this thread in the forum's home page,i could only see 'The Tragic Case of Justin' part,since the thread name was long.I guessed that it might be Justin Beiber? and thought something tragic had happened to him(like an accident) and i was getting happy,gradually.Opened the thread and saw it was some Justin Carter..Damn..

Last edited:
OP
Bhargav

Bhargav

In the zone

When i saw this thread in the forum's home page,i could only see 'The Tragic Case of Justin' part,since the thread name was long.I guessed that it might be Justin Beiber? and thought something tragic had happened to him(like an accident) and i was getting happy,gradually.Opened the thread and saw it was some Justin Carter..Damn..

lol :lol:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

And I thought that finally something tragic happened to JB , turned out it was something else.

Damn exactly the same thing happened to me (no replies at that time in this thread) but didn't post it because I thought mods would see it as off-topic and delete it.

On topic (because I mustn't risk it :p), people need to see the context of any post before they start accusing them of anything and everything.

Thanks for spreading the awareness.

cyborg47

Technomancer

The woman who called 911 should be feeling terrible right now for screwing up his life, damn.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz

This sucks.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl

He clearly said jk and lol at the end, so why the f**k
Probably 'jk lol' in dumb woman's dictionary meant 'justin karter league of legends' :lol:

Top Bottom