The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

sujoyp

Grand Master
That stupid shopkeeper :x :x and I stupid me to believe him .....he told me with soo confidence that I got fooled...

Actually somebody told me it needs mSATA port to connect

dan4u

Took Off!!!
That stupid shopkeeper :x :x and I stupid me to believe him .....he told me with soo confidence that I got fooled...

Actually somebody told me it needs mSATA port to connect

well the shopkeeper didn't know what he's talking about, I've been using a ssd since the last 2 months and its the one upgrade that's actually worth it :twisted:

duriel

Broken In
@dan4u Does your SSD get very hot sometimes? I mean really hot, hotter than processor area? Have you done any tweaks after installing SSD?

Hi everyone, hope you are enjoying your 550p's. It's summer time and all the vents are clogged up. I played a game after 5 months and it got 98 Celsius in 5 minutes. No air is coming out at all!.

So, anyone ever dis-assembled it/cleaned it? I did try opening up but couldn't find a way to open the vents area, may be we have to pull out keyboard first? Any tips/ideas?

dan4u

Took Off!!!
@dan4u Does your SSD get very hot sometimes? I mean really hot, hotter than processor area? Have you done any tweaks after installing SSD?

Hi everyone, hope you are enjoying your 550p's. It's summer time and all the vents are clogged up. I played a game after 5 months and it got 98 Celsius in 5 minutes. No air is coming out at all!.

So, anyone ever dis-assembled it/cleaned it? I did try opening up but couldn't find a way to open the vents area, may be we have to pull out keyboard first? Any tips/ideas?

nope my ssd never heats up, on the contrary its cooler than the hdd. if you want you can clean it yourself, only hurdle is removing the back panel, use your nails or prying tools. once you remove the back panel you have direct access to the motherboard and the vents.

I updated my BIOS to P07AAA on S02 IN. I am surprised to find that even before logging into windows, the system fan is turned on at full speed and the laptop gets hotter quickly. The CPU shows 75 degs max. Am I the only one facing this problem ?? Anyone else installed P07AAA ?? The heat goes down once inside windows

duriel

Broken In
nope my ssd never heats up, on the contrary its cooler than the hdd. if you want you can clean it yourself, only hurdle is removing the back panel, use your nails or prying tools. once you remove the back panel you have direct access to the motherboard and the vents.

Which SSD did you get and the model number? Mine is Corsair Force Series 3 240 GB, sometimes it gets real hot, I thought it might be because of Indexing, I disabled it but still it gets crazy hot sometimes.

Also, if I have a linux distro then then it stays super hot all the time, that's why I got back to Windows. It is the same with processor too, it gets lot hotter when running a linux distro. Have you (or anyone else) had a chance to run a linux distro on this? I even tried to use cpufrequtils to clock the processor at 1.17Ghz, but still it is super hot. I guess it is because the NVidia stays always on on Linux.

I will try your method to remove the back panel now.

Edit: I was able to pry the back panel using CC. Cleaned the vents, now temps doesn't rise above 80C.

Last edited:

sunilyo

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys,

I have already ordered the samsung NP550p5C-S05IN. Now i want to know if it is possible to add an SSD drive to already existing system. I would like the OS and a few program that i normally use to be on the SSD rather than on the HDD.

Also i will be using this system mainly for design work i will be using softwares like coreldraw x6 and Photoshop CS3. Do you think that 8GB will be enough to handle my work or should i include another 4 or 8 gb to the already existing configuration?

arka

Broken In
hey guys buying s05 in 3-4 days. here s05 costs 63k and y500 costs 67k. so going to Kolkata for better deals.
any recommendation for shops in Kolkata ?

I am buying s05 for better battery life , less weight than y500, matte screen otherwise I would choose y500.is it worth it ?

is s05's heating problem solved ?

Last edited:

jayantr7

In the zone
I'm thinking of buying the so1in model. But I've a few questions:-
* Does this laptop get bricked while booting a Linus distro? I've heard this is the case for many Samsung laptops.
* Is this laptop recommended for something who types a lot?
* Which is better? S01IN or Lenovo Ideapad Z500? (For my specifications, see this)
* How much difference does a 1600x900 display make in contrast with 1366x768 resolution, for reading, gaming or image editing?

pratyush997

Inactive
I'm thinking of buying the so1in model. But I've a few questions:-
It's discontinued :p S04IN is new one
Does this laptop get bricked while booting a Linus distro? I've heard this is the case for many Samsung laptops.
Even I read some articles about same o.o
* Is this laptop recommended for something who types a lot?
Keyboard ain't best in class.
* How much difference does a 1600x900 display make in contrast with 1366x768 resolution, for reading, gaming or image editing?
Better PPI/DPI, Though Sammy doesn't have good contrast ratio!

jayantr7

In the zone
@pratyush
Thanks for replying. I'm sorry, I didn't made it clear. I meant what difference does the 1600x900 resolution on so4in lappy make compared to 1366x768 in most other laptops in this price segment?
Talking about the SO4IN model, what's the battery life at normal usage? (Typical browsing, listening to music, document editing, watching videos)
And can anyone confirm about the bricking issue by Linus distros on this model? I'll probably use Ubuntu on my laptop.
Why doesn't Digit review Samsung laptops? I can't find is trustable reviews and opinions on these NP500 models except on this thread.
Does this model have a matte display, because I'm going to read a lot, and a glossy display is a huge no-no for me.
I don't know much about Samsung laptops. I've to use the laptop which I buy for 3 years (with the maximum usage in the third year). Will this laptop last in good shape for that timeframe? (Assume that I handle the laptop in a good manner) I hope it isn't like the Dell laptops.

pratyush997

Inactive
I meant what difference does the 1600x900 resolution on so4in lappy make compared to 1366x768 in most other laptops in this price segment?
Better pixel density buddy!
Talking about the SO4IN model, what's the battery life at normal usage? (Typical browsing, listening to music, document editing, watching videos)
I used to get 4.5 Hr. on S02IN
Why doesn't Digit review Samsung laptops? I can't find is trustable reviews and opinions on these NP500 models except on this thread.
Because Sammy doesn't send them review units
Does this model have a matte display, because I'm going to read a lot, and a glossy display is a huge no-no for me.
Yeah, It's matte display

sujoyp

Grand Master
@arka if u use the lappy on ur lap it gets hot in half hr ....very hot actually

63k for S05 is too much...remember I got it for 58k and another shop offered me at 60k.

Matt display is really advantage for long reading and work...its soft and does not strain eyes :)

arka

Broken In
@arka if u use the lappy on ur lap it gets hot in half hr ....very hot actually

63k for S05 is too much...remember I got it for 58k and another shop offered me at 60k.

Matt display is really advantage for long reading and work...its soft and does not strain eyes :)

going to order it today afternoon for 62500 , in Kolkata its 61500, going to Kolkata is too much hassle for me in this hot summer. all prices are incl tax 5%. is it gets hot with normal usage (without gaming) ?

BTW what is the best cooler for this lappy ?

pls guys hurry , going to order it today afternoon.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I got a cheepo cooler for lappy....but I think people are using some coolmaster product costing around 1-1.5k

No it does not gets hot without gaming

Top Bottom